2011 5.0 vs 09+ ctsv

strats03svt

GOT FAST?
Established Member
I've been watching this new CTSV running around town recently.It was a lady I know and I would always meet her on the road.She has a son in his 20's and tonight we end up turning onto a 4 lane at the same time from opposite sides at the light.HELL yeah I said to my self.He mashes it as soon as we turn.Too much oncoming traffic for me so I just cruise around 35.He slows and waits.The traffic has gone by and I speed up to around 40 and pull up along side.He goes and I go.I pull on him and pass and as I hit the top of 4th I'm about a car ahead.I break and he flies by.About a 1/4 mile up the road,a light catches us.No one around.Green light and GO!I'm power spinning through 1st 2nd some of 3rd,look over and he is at my rear bumper.Coming into a congested area so I brake and he flies buy.At the next light,he turns rt and I go straight and give him a honk.
That was FUN!!!I wasn't expecting to pull ahead of a new v.I would still love to have one some day.My car is a stock premium Brembo car w/373 and a Borla axle back.
My first race in this car.I'm IMPRESSED!!!!:rockon:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I'm pretty sure I got the jist of that story so good kill OP.

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

phatman

Established Member
Good kill OP! Anything can happen on the street. Hate to sound cynical, but I have a bone stock automatic 11' V sedan and raced a 12 two nights ago. honestly, it wasn't a race. I put a bus (5 cars on him). Raced a second time and gave him the hit. I came around him and beat him 3-4 cars. If your bolt on, I can see you in a dead heat, with you even pulling slightly. I think you beat the driver (If your stock). I last ran 12.2 @118 on a 2.0 sixty. I'm going to Atco Friday with hopes of 12.0s. trap speeds tell the power and I normally see stock 5ohs trapping 111-113 in cool weather. Good run though, as stated, anything can happen on the street.

Last edited:

gearhead08

Established Member
You sure it was the supercharged version? I ran one that was not. Needless to say it was a rape. The new supercharged ones hall ass. Like someone said though anything is possible on the street.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Good kill OP! Anything can happen on the street. Hate to sound cynical, but I have a bone stock automatic 11' V sedan and raced a 12 two nights ago. honestly, it wasn't a race. I put a bus (5 cars on him). Raced a second time and gave him the hit. I came around him and beat him 3-4 cars. If your bolt on, I can see you in a dead heat, with you even pulling slightly. I think you beat the driver (If your stock). I last ran 12.2 @118 on a 2.0 sixty. I'm going to Atco Friday with hopes of 12.0s. trap speeds tell the power and I normally see stock 5ohs trapping 111-113 in cool weather. Good run though, as stated, anything can happen on the street.

Agreed.

I'm a life-long Mustang fan, and love the new 5.0s, but there isn't a chance a stock 2011 GT outran a new CTS-V unless there was some serious driver error inside the Caddy. Forget the 130+ hp advantage the V has, the difference in rw torque numbers is absolutely staggering between the two cars, and far more than the weight advantage the 5.0 has.

Not saying it didn't happen- just saying the CTS-V driver must have been changing radio stations or texting for you to beat him.

blackvette101

Established Member

that sounds right from what i've seen

strats03svt

GOT FAST?
Established Member
I was thinking I would loose for sure.I think it was an auto as I didn't see the front jumping up and down.He sure wasn't texting or adjusting anything.He was looking at me as I drove away.And he made the first move to play.
Saw the car today with the mom driving it.
It was a V and a new one.I would give my 5.0 anyday for one.Its the ultimate daddys toy with the family in mind also.
The only non-stock mod I have is a Borla Touring axle back and lowered on K springs.

Last edited:

C6Z06427

Established Member
Yep, anything can happen on the street, but the boy is seriously lacking some skills. He probably doesn't even know how to put it in Sport Mode for the transmission.

No way he should have lost to you considering you are roughly stock. I ran a 11.9 in mine stock with the stock tires

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
not happening with a supercharged CTS-V. I raced a none charged V a couple months ago in the 2013 GT m6. We got 3 clean runs 20-110mph, It was dead even till 3rd and then I would pull about a car, maybe a little more. What are your mods OP?

strats03svt

GOT FAST?
Established Member
K springs and Borla AB. Other then that,its a stock Brembo,premium w/3.73s.It happened.I was surprised as well.

phatman

Established Member
Yep, anything can happen on the street, but the boy is seriously lacking some skills. He probably doesn't even know how to put it in Sport Mode for the transmission.

No way he should have lost to you considering you are roughly stock. I ran a 11.9 in mine stock with the stock tires

Wow! I just ran 11.9 @118, bone stock last night at Atco.

Established Member
Nice race.

I was trying to race a black V coupe around here in my Z06. He didn't want to at first... but then jumped out all of a sudden **sneaky sneaky**. By that time, I already upshifted and was in the wrong gear. He was ahead by 1 car, and I caught up to him by the top of 2nd. Then started running away from him in 3rd. By that time, had to shut down due to traffic.

Impressive cars...I think the sedan/wagon looks better than the coupe. Will try to get one when I have kids.

phatman

Established Member
What do pulley/intake/tune cars run at ATCO?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I've never witnessed a pullied car run there, but I've heard 11.6s-4s @ 122-125. There were two other stock Vs at the track with me and they were running 12.2-12.0, all at 117-119. Last month, I witnessed a bolt-on 5.0 (x-pipe, cai, boss intake, converter) run 11.7 @116!

I've learned racing a V on the street can be tricky. They are making 400lbs of torque from idle, which means you don't have to go full throttle, until u actually hook. Using the paddle shifter on the street is useless. People who don't dig race on the street will never understand the difference. No prep, just skill and knowing your car. The track reminds me of computer nannies. Track prep, go lights and rules keep it safe. I'll never dispute a slower car winning on the street. People like to brag about having 600-750rwhp cars, but continue to lose on the street, because they can't hook, so they wan't a roll race. I find anything above 600rwhp is a pain to hook on the street and will lose to a properly set up lesser HP car.

phatman

Established Member
Nice race.

I was trying to race a black V coupe around here in my Z06. He didn't want to at first... but then jumped out all of a sudden **sneaky sneaky**. By that time, I already upshifted and was in the wrong gear. He was ahead by 1 car, and I caught up to him by the top of 2nd. Then started running away from him in 3rd. By that time, had to shut down due to traffic.

Impressive cars...I think the sedan/wagon looks better than the coupe. Will try to get one when I have kids.

What would happen if this guy cut gas and assumed he won? He would post a win on the CTSV forum and we know he would get ridiculed lol. This happens all the time. He may think he gave you a hard time, when in fact, you had to down shift.

As long as I remain stock, I wouldn't waist my time racing a Z. Coming from several Vets, it would be a waist of time watching the Z pull away from me. However, I would love to race one once pullied and tuned. I think it would be an interesting race with a stock Z. They trap 124-126 and the V would be very close. Once the numbers start increasing, the Z would gain the advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread