2011-2012 GT500 Potential Purchase Today.

MustangLife12

Established Member
Plan on leaving it stock for now and plan to use these new tires for as long as they last, but after it will be sport 4s or sport Comp 2 I believe.

lkempf

Established Member
Welcome to the club! As others have said a MGW Gen II shifter definitely helped my 1-2 grind. I said I was going to leave mine stock too. That lasted about 6 months. Lots of potential with these cars.

Kevinbonds

Established Member
I have the same car but with the black stripes, red looks great. Usually the 1-2 grind is under very hard driving, so you won’t notice unless you are really pushing the car. As others have said, a nice shifter kit and some good fluid helps out allot. I went with a Steeda shifter as they are local to me, but any good quality shifter upgrade will make a big difference. My car has the 3.73’ and the whine can be a bit annoying on long trips, been meaning to figure out a fix for it.

MustangLife12

Established Member
I have the same car but with the black stripes, red looks great. Usually the 1-2 grind is under very hard driving, so you won’t notice unless you are really pushing the car. As others have said, a nice shifter kit and some good fluid helps out allot. I went with a Steeda shifter as they are local to me, but any good quality shifter upgrade will make a big difference. My car has the 3.73’ and the whine can be a bit annoying on long trips, been meaning to figure out a fix for it.
Does the whine happen around I would say 55mph and greater? Seems to stop right away when clutch is pushed down as well.

MustangLife12

Established Member
Classic 3.73 gear whine. Pushing the clutch in takes the load off the gear mesh, that's why the whine then stops.
That makes total sense. I started 2nd guessing that thought on myself last night and starting wondering if clutch or trans, but glad you backed up my first thought! Haha

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
That makes total sense. I started 2nd guessing that thought on myself last night and starting wondering if clutch or trans, but glad you backed up my first thought! Haha
Spooked me the first time I heard the whine. I was like ohh...shit what did I just buy? hahaha

MustangLife12

Established Member
Spooked me the first time I heard the whine. I was like ohh...shit what did I just buy? hahaha
Hahahaha I know the feeling exactly as that was my exact thoughts! I noticed the whine about 5 miles down the hwy after buying and was like oh crap what did I miss on the test drive and look over. Having had many Mustangs I luckily didn’t freak out to bad and figured out pretty much what it was by narrowing down too at least two possibilities. Glad it is just the real end which ironically the dealer just replaced prior to sale according to paperwork so not sure why whining already, but then again some say they have had same result.

Users who are viewing this thread