2011-14 aluminators discontinued.....what are our options for an affordable longblock

cutt

Established Member
2011-14 aluminators discontinued.....what are our options for an affordable/dependable longblock?

D.T.R

Established Member
Your best bet will probably be to piece together your own long block.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I'm just starting to look at this myself (believe I may have hydrolocked my current motor).
sub'd

stangn

Established Member
Buy:
Rods
Pistons
Rings
Bearings
Oil pump gears
Head gaskets
Balance with your crank
Assemble and go.
Or add more:
Cams
Springs
Crank gear
Phaser limiters
Etc.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Now, I'm just starting my leg work but does anyone know a (rough) cost difference between having the stock motor upgraded with forged internals, and buying a crate shortblock?

cutt

Established Member
convenience

im no engine builder, plus the ease and lack of down time with a crate motor is right up my alley

Last edited:

Doug1227

Established Member
When I went from stock to built, I used an Aluminator 11:1 crate motor, put oil pump gears in it, and sold my stock motor complete in the same crate on Ebay. Net was around $4000 total out of pocket, which I think was cheaper and less down time than having one built. I'm in the process of considering a sleeved setup now, and plan to do the same thing. I found a cheap damaged longblock and will have it built so I can sell the Aluminator complete to offset some of the cost and minimize downtime.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Depending on what the insurance does with my car then (total it, or refurbish) I may see about keeping the engine and tearing it down for a eventual build, then.

q6543

Established Member
Yeah, pretty sure you can order an 11-14 aluminator from a couple places and have it on the way tomorrow if your serious.

vortecd

Established Member
The short blocks are not available either and went fast once the crate motors were gone. I have found both are still being shown for sale by companies but I talked to Ford and they don't have any.

So if anyone knows of a company that has either then post them up. Just because they are advertising them doesn't mean they have them

basspro302

Established Member
Why can't you use a 2015 aluminator? I know they changed the intake but you can swap it with a 2011-2014. Any other reason? I remember American muscle putting in a 2014 aluminator in a 2015 mustang and the had to swap the pcm and harness with a ford racing unit.

vortecd

Established Member
sounds like the cams are different which should be an easy change but the block is different. The guy I talked to at Ford said the oil filter pad is different. I'm thinking a different angle to fit the '15. He wasn't clear if you could just swap it out for an '11-'14 pad

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I won't be having a block built for a year or two but assuming I can't find an aluminator I will just have a short block built, pull my engine and reuse my heads if possible. I don't really want to pay for a full longblock unless I could get it for a good price. There are a few places around that can build a shortblock that you can just add your heads and other components.

Users who are viewing this thread