2011-13 Getrag manual transmission question

luvs2bblown

Established Member
Been on the fence about buying a new 5.0, but been hearing so many horror stories about the 6spd manual. Has there been any revisions/fixes to the transmissions to make them more durable? Not intending to beat on the car, but dont want problems down the line. Also, is the Boss 302 tranny stronger than the GT's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
The boss and GT's have the same trans, the clutch is different. I have a 2013 GT. For about the first 400 miles if I speed shifted at redline the clutch peddle would be a little slow coming off the floor, I also got locked out of 2nd once at the track with 220miles on the car. Since then the car has 1400 miles on it, I have not gotten lock out since the first time, the clutch peddle seems to be doing much better also so im guessing they just needed to be broke in. My only complaint is that I have to slow my 1st-2nd shift down just a bit otherwise it will grind for an instant. its not a huge issue but for being brand new it does bother me a little. Over all I love how it performs.

SirJAG

Established Member
5500 miles...i swapped to RP syncromax at 3000miles and since then i have not had any lockouts or notchy shifting. prior to that, i had a lock out just a handful of times total, and my only real complaint was the notchyness between 1st and 2nd.

doing just fine now though

5.0jake

Established Member
2012 6M with 6500 miles and shifts like butta.
1-2 shift a little notchy when cold no biggy. Drive quite aggressively regularly. There are some real issues out there I'm sure but I think most people that complain dont know how to shift this car.

Last edited:

5ohpowa

Established Member
Ive got a 2013 gt 3400 miles so far and im happy with the car after fixing a few little issues. I got the barton braket after the 3rd gear lockedout a couple times. But it does shift smooth. I can also say that unless you are really hammering it above 6500rpm it gives no problems. The clutch coming up slow has happened once but only after a few highway pulls(alot of heat probably)

brandondrecksag

Established Member
4000 miles on my 12 gt. Within the first 1 or 2k I would get a grind around redline from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, havent gotten it since...i think i was shifting faster than the synchros could take. Transmission is pretty smooth, could be better, but for 25.5k...i'm not gonna complain.

Chrisc35

Established Member
I got A6 so I use sport mode with TT so it's way better then n fast then the manual By Lil because once you press the clutch in you loose a slight of power

RSKtakR

Established Member
I have a 2011 built 6/2010, the clutch shot craps at 6700 miles, had it replaced under warranty, then the pedal started sticking, had it replaced as well. At 10k miles (I believe) the trans shot craps, had a bunch of internals replaced under warranty, had the new fluid put in as well. When I got the car back I put a Barton shifter bracket on it and have had zero issues with the trans or clutch and I just turned 30k on the car. Trans whines some but thats about it, no sticking gears, shifter etc. I dont beat on the car, but just a spirited driver I suppose.

86merc

Established Member
It is not the smoothest trans out there. No doubt about that. But seems to work well.

I have the Steeda shifter box bracket and braided stainless clutch line mod. Never missed a gear power shifting, no clutch stuck to the floor or any thing else when driving hard. The only issue I have is the notchy shifting when cold. Come fall I will switch to a thinner fluid that should help that situation out.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I have a '12 with stock trans fluid, Shifter, clutch line, and brackets with no lockout or missed shifts. I personally think this trans shifts better stock than any stock 3650 or t56 found in the older stangs. The only thing I could care less about is having 5 forward gears and only 6th being OD. Thankfully with the 3.31's, I will only need to do 1-4 for a while in the 1/4.

Erich

Established Member
After having a T45 and a T5, I think this trans is the cat's pajamas.
Smooth shifting, short throw, non rubbery shifter, great gear ratios, works perfect with my 3.73s. It was one of the selling points on the car for me.
No issues at all. 12,000 miles on my totally stock 2012 built in Oct 2011.
Erich

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
After having a T45 and a T5, I think this trans is the cat's pajamas.
Smooth shifting, short throw, non rubbery shifter, great gear ratios, works perfect with my 3.73s. It was one of the selling points on the car for me.
No issues at all. 12,000 miles on my totally stock 2012 built in Oct 2011.
Erich

same boat as u lol. half these guys have no clue what they are talking about. i think this trans is awesome. i just put a steeda short throw in.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I have a 12' with 10k miles on it and don't have any issues with the tranny. I can bang any gear and have not installed any brackets/shifter.

Davey

Established Member
2013 with about 2300 miles.

I get the crunch when cold which is understandable and common on high performance cars, it's designed to work well when hot.

The only issue I have is, I've gotten blocked out of 2nd gear 4 or 5 times mainly while loafing around town shifting at 2,000 RPM. I can't tell if it's getting better or worse, so far every normal shift at higher RPM has worked fine. It's either going to break in, or break.

It does bug the shit out of me that I don't feel confident going for 2nd gear, but when the trans works it works very nicely.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
2013 with about 2300 miles.

I get the crunch when cold which is understandable and common on high performance cars, it's designed to work well when hot.

The only issue I have is, I've gotten blocked out of 2nd gear 4 or 5 times mainly while loafing around town shifting at 2,000 RPM. I can't tell if it's getting better or worse, so far every normal shift at higher RPM has worked fine. It's either going to break in, or break.

It does bug the shit out of me that I don't feel confident going for 2nd gear, but when the trans works it works very nicely.

I think that is a characteristic of the "skip shift", as I have not had that problem since my tune was installed.:shrug:

Davey

Established Member
That's what I thought too, but I'm 99% sure the 2013 doesn't have skip shift - it's not even in the manual, and I have never seen the display indicate the "1-4 shift for fuel economy" or whatever.

Hopefully it gets better or gets worse. I can't get it fixed if I can't reproduce it or unless it gets a lot noisier (I do hears some gear lash noise in 2nd and 3rd, nothing I'm bothered by) so for the meantime I'm hoping that it's because I mainly am driving highway and back roads in 2-3-4 and don't take off from a dead stop all that often, and it just needs a little more break-in.

Last edited:

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
On my 7 mile commute to work I've learned not to shift 1-2 unless I've warmed her up pretty good and shift around 4500+ rpms. I have the TSB fluid in my trans, and an MGW shifter. I either start in 2nd (which is great with 3.73s) or I shift 1-3-5-6.

Kinda sucks I can't shift to 2nd right off the bat without it grinding. I borrowed a friend's 2011 5.0 with 3.31 gears with 40,000 miles and even with the stock shifter it would go straight from 1st to 2nd with no fuss. I'm hoping with some more mileage they break in.

Users who are viewing this thread