2010 SHO vs 2015 SS (Avis special)

9BABCobra8

Established Member
To preface this: My brother and I went to Austin, TX for a track day this last weekend at COTA. We tried to get his C6Z together but didn’t have enough time to get it done so instead of wasting the $450 per day at the track we borrowed the race team over at Avis to help us out with tires and brakes. Upon the initial drive/seat of the pants feel my brother claimed that the SS felt slower than his DD the tuned 2010 SHO. I thought certainly he was mistaken but told him we should do a roll race if the highway ever opened up on the way home from the track one of the three days. Keep in mind while at the track in this stock SS, we were passing several cars beyond its reach (GT 500's, Boss 302, Audi R8, Porsche 911, Z/28, C7 Stingray because the guy was out for a Sunday drive) due to driver mod and it not being our personal car IMO. Yes, in the straights the SS was MUCH slower but when the turns were added in it came down to the driver mod. Back to the story.

After the second day the opportunity opened up. We only had time and space for one run (40mph) and it left me very shocked by the outcome even though the SHO is tuned with an ScT tuner (+60HP).

I was driving the SHO and he was in the SS. We slowed down to a 40mph roll which I thought would have given the edge to the SS. On the third honk we both took off and I felt I was slightly early but later my brother tells me that the SS stumbled on take-off (he was in manual mode (second gear) with traction and stabilitrack turned off). I immediately pulled a car length on him and assumed he would reel me back in quickly. By the time I let off at 105mph I was 2 car lengths ahead of him in the SS. He said even at 100 I was still walking away from him…
I know the SHO is no slouch but damn I was not expecting the outcome at all.

MysticRob

Established Member
Surprising. The SHO is supposed to be well over 300lbs heavier so even tuned it sounds like it's just making the same power with 2 bodies in the trunk. That tune must be magic, or the SS was just a typical beat-on rental. Interesting results!

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Please don't tell me things like this, I already have one car I'm modding and mods ain't cheap these days:)

Nice kill for the SHO!

9BABCobra8

Established Member
Surprising. The SHO is supposed to be well over 300lbs heavier so even tuned it sounds like it's just making the same power with 2 bodies in the trunk. That tune must be magic, or the SS was just a typical beat-on rental. Interesting results!

The SS had 90 miles on it when we picked it up but it seemed to be hit with torque management or something right off the hit. We didn’t try the race from a dig because it was slightly less than 50 degrees all weekend for the high and the SHO would have had an easy win after we witnessed the roll-race.

Please don't tell me things like this, I already have one car I'm modding and mods ain't cheap these days:)

Nice kill for the SHO!

My brother has to keep telling himself that this is his DD and it needs to be reliable lol He has already looked at the fuel system limitations and claims its around 600 or so but then I’m sure the trans would be screaming too.

I was on him all weekend about how we were running the wrong car but his point about the SHO’s brakes being too small was right on point. Some track footage of a SHO running with listed cars above would have been hilarious. I do have one decent video of the “Yellow Rental Car” from a Porsche 911’s perspective though. It was the last run off the weekend and I think it was the wettest track session as well. The driver of the Porsche was a very good driver too!

MysticRob

Established Member
90 miles on the odo would help explain it then. Likely a combo of built-in limitations until the engine hits a certain odo reading, and engine just not being broken in yet. Talk about some odd break-in procedures too...

From the SS owner manual:

New Vehicle Break-In
Use the following precautions to improve performance:
For the first 1000 km (621 mi):
*Do not make full throttle starts.
*Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle.
*Do not drive at any one constant speed.
*Use moderate acceleration in lower gears.
*Avoid vehicle speeds above 110 km/h (68 mph).

Between the first 1000 km (621 mi) and 5000 km (3,107 mi), heavy acceleration in lower gears may be used.
Vehicle speeds above 110 km/h (68 mph) should be limited to five minutes per use.

Users who are viewing this thread