2010 S63 AMG Maintenance Costs

WolfPackST

Banned
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a '10 S63 AMG w/ 29,000 miles. I currently own a 09 LS460, and it has been a very trouble free car - but I know that Mercedes/AMG will probably require a bit more maintenance then the Lexus.

Any AMG owners in here? Anything to keep on eye on in regards to maintenance? Im ASE certified and Ford certified mechanic, although I haven't worked in the trade for years and I have never worked on German cars.

Thanks in advance

50d77017cf_640.jpg

Last edited:

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Dad has one. Oil change cost him 3 bills. I would multiply your Lexus cost by about 6 ;). Besides that though he says it's the best car he's ever owned. He can't wait to drive it every morning.

Gravik

Established Member
It's a high performance German car. It's gonna be expensive lol. Hence the reason I ditched BMW and jumped on the American car bandwagon :D

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Going from a lexus to a Mercedes is gonna suck. Performance wise it will be amazing maintenance wise it will be a nightmare.

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
I have owned a Mercedes sedan before, it was the most comfortable ride I have ever owned. Yeah the up keep sucks balls. My cousin owned an amg 2 door before. The way he put it was just because it says amg it will cost you more. I think pre certified is the best deal. You get a warranty with those cars from Mercedes.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
I tried my luck with German cars for a bit. Had a 08 bmw 330xi. The maintenance was horrendous and every electrical sensor in the car ended up having issues. I have sold several newer model Mercedes as well that have also had very bad electrical issues. I would stay away unless your wealthy enough to not care about the cost of keeping it on the road.

To give an example, I sold an sl550 amg and had to replace an abs modular. $4900 bucks!!!! No thanks lol

I know some people have had good experiences with them. But that is my two cents.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Do they use some sort of special oil filter size thats dealer only? Is there something magical in the oil they use?
LOL +1

Dealer told me it cost $100+ to do the oil change on my 335i. I bought 10 qts (needs 7 qts) for $50 at walmart and the filter for $10. Funny thing, it was easier and less messier than doing it on my Cobra.

Same crap for my brothers M5. Dealer was asking $350+, did it ourselves for under $150. Then they wonder why they come out soo expensive lol

earl lee

Established Member
If you can afford the baller tax go ahead and pull the trigger. It will be a lot nicer then your Lexus but it will cost a lot more to fix if something breaks.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I wouldn't buy it without a warranty. Maintenance is expensive, A service generally $220, B service $675. Mercedes recommends flushing the brake fluid every 20k miles, that's one reason the B's are more expensive. Trouble areas would be the airmatic suspension, as with any car that uses air in the struts they leak over time. Engines are pretty much bullet proof. I've seen some issues with conductor plates(electronics for the valve body), and lately ABS issues(wheel speed sensors). Another point is it will go through brakes about every 40K miles. Fronts run about $2500, rears are to bad. It's a big heavy fast car, it uses brakes.

Last edited:

sono

Established Member
Had 6 of various models. Currently have r350 diesel. It's called service A,B,C. Figure $800 for every 12k with brakes at 20k. Specialty pads.
Service needs to be done by them in order to identify problems before they become insane to fix. I have my brakes done by my Shelby peeps at Ford to save a few bucks. You just have to eat the $300-$400 oil changes in order to get the inspections performed. They really go through the cars. I drive the hell out of ours so it does add up, but under 12k drivers it's not that bad.

Hope that helps.
P.S. the fit and finish of the Merc. makes my Shelby feel like a Chinese Go-Kart, but I still love it!

kaz109

Established Member
I tried my luck with German cars for a bit. Had a 08 bmw 330xi. The maintenance was horrendous and every electrical sensor in the car ended up having issues. I have sold several newer model Mercedes as well that have also had very bad electrical issues. I would stay away unless your wealthy enough to not care about the cost of keeping it on the road.

To give an example, I sold an sl550 amg and had to replace an abs modular. $4900 bucks!!!! No thanks lol

I know some people have had good experiences with them. But that is my two cents.

an SL550 isn't a AMG...just throwing that out there lol..but i get your point just bustin your balls a bit

kaz109

Established Member
I don't own a S63 but my C63 has been bullet proof so far and that is with it being tracked about 10 times a yr as well as it being daily driven. Tire are the old huge maintenance cost I have experienced. I think an S class is more prone to electrical issues so that is something I would think about. I own two German cars that I track and are out of warranty and have better luck with them than my American cars. Yes maintenance will cost more than a neon or mustang but it is not ungodly expensive as most ppl who have never owned one but who drink the kool aid of he said/she said.

Users who are viewing this thread