2010+ GT500 vs 07+ Z06, other comp cars?

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
This isn’t a thread for bashing, although it may be hard to avoid.

I’m looking for comparisons from people who have driven other cars in the comparable price range of the newer model GT500s that can offer some type of write-up. Driving, power, speed, ease of mods, bang for buck, etc. I’ve read this forum a lot (been a member since 2003), but when I see the “Best car I’ve ever driven!” posts and talking about the “best handling car”, etc., I wonder if that person’s had experience with other cars such as the 996 Turbo, C6 Z06, etc. or if there conclusions are arrived from moving up from a Terminator or F-body (still great cars, but not the same league).

I’ve had a few Cobras in the past- 98, 01, 03, 04; from stock to upgraded with KB blowers, etc. And regardless of how much power they put down for the time (highest was 550rwhp), it still ran mid 11s in a street trim. I’ve also had a couple of Z06s (02 and 09, which was the most recent) and they’ve been incredible cars as well. My 09 would easily run 10s at 130+ w/ just a few bolt-on mods and a cam in street trim.

I’m looking to get another car and I’m debating on going back to another Z06 or a GT500. Price point is ~$40k. To me ride is important, but also having a fun car that doesn’t sacrifice too much. GT500 seems to fit that; and has a back seat. But at what expense? It has the power, but the delivery and weight doesn’t seem to show ¼ mile numbers. Outside of the track cars, which I’ve seen incredible times; but I don’t want a “with slicks and skinnies, with cool down, and 40 degree temps with perfect track hook at the perfect DA, you’ll go xx”. There’s a lot of that out there.

What does a 650rwhp GT500 run in the ¼ in street trim? 11s?

Just looking for some real comparisons. I haven’t had the opportunity to drive the 10+ GT500. The 08 I drove was stock and felt slow.

redirocrt92

Established Member
This isn’t a thread for bashing, although it may be hard to avoid.

I’m looking for comparisons from people who have driven other cars in the comparable price range of the newer model GT500s that can offer some type of write-up. Driving, power, speed, ease of mods, bang for buck, etc. I’ve read this forum a lot (been a member since 2003), but when I see the “Best car I’ve ever driven!” posts and talking about the “best handling car”, etc., I wonder if that person’s had experience with other cars such as the 996 Turbo, C6 Z06, etc. or if there conclusions are arrived from moving up from a Terminator or F-body (still great cars, but not the same league).

I’ve had a few Cobras in the past- 98, 01, 03, 04; from stock to upgraded with KB blowers, etc. And regardless of how much power they put down for the time (highest was 550rwhp), it still ran mid 11s in a street trim. I’ve also had a couple of Z06s (02 and 09, which was the most recent) and they’ve been incredible cars as well. My 09 would easily run 10s at 130+ w/ just a few bolt-on mods and a cam in street trim.

I’m looking to get another car and I’m debating on going back to another Z06 or a GT500. Price point is ~$40k. To me ride is important, but also having a fun car that doesn’t sacrifice too much. GT500 seems to fit that; and has a back seat. But at what expense? It has the power, but the delivery and weight doesn’t seem to show ¼ mile numbers. Outside of the track cars, which I’ve seen incredible times; but I don’t want a “with slicks and skinnies, with cool down, and 40 degree temps with perfect track hook at the perfect DA, you’ll go xx”. There’s a lot of that out there.

What does a 650rwhp GT500 run in the ¼ in street trim? 11s?

Just looking for some real comparisons. I haven’t had the opportunity to drive the 10+ GT500. The 08 I drove was stock and felt slow.

I've only had my GT500 for a month or so but I can say it rides better than the C63 and Z06 so thats pretty good. It doesn't handle anywhere near either one, and the back seats are pretty much useless. It feels decently quick stock and I have a TVS going on now. Cheap mods are the main reason I got it and I hope I'm not stuck in th 11's with it. Overall I'm pretty happy with it as long as I get this 1st to 2nd grind issue taken care of.

bull3441

Established Member
two totally different feels and two completely different platforms. you want a weekend car get the Z, you want a bruiser you can drive any day of the week get the GT500. i was @ a Chevy dealer looking to trade my GT500 in for a Z and decided against it at the last minute.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
Differnt cars. Sounds like you want killer power and low weight. The vette has your name on it. Go get 'er.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I don't have experience w/ the GT500 .. but have a 2012 I just picked up with all of the options I want .. the downside is what you have listed .. weight and the delivery of the power in street trim. I would say you would need to do some power upgrades as well as suspension / wheel/tire upgrades to get where you would want to be to compete w/ the later model Z06 in regards to street trim power delivery .. It all depends on what you want to do, buy a car and have it good to go with a few changes, or buy a car (gt500 and put maybe a little more money in it to get where you want to be).

If I didn't need the back seat (kids) I would have gone Z06 .... but the GT500 is still an amazing car!

BTW .. up your pricepoint a little and get into a 2012 GT500 w/ the recaros and the options you want if you go GT500 .. amazing deals right now.

Crowley

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
two totally different feels and two completely different platforms. you want a weekend car get the Z, you want a bruiser you can drive any day of the week get the GT500. i was @ a Chevy dealer looking to trade my GT500 in for a Z and decided against it at the last minute.

+1

I almost did the Z trade in..... But my 2 boys said "Dad, how you going to take us for ice cream in that" My wife just said, your call..... One of the few reasons I bought the 500 was the back seat. Small, yes, but my 8 & 5 yr old love going for rides in her!

I've own 2 Vetts and 06 Carrera S.... Two totally different machines. The 500 is great for what it is...:burnout::rockon:

sedanman

Established Member
It's not even a comparison, if you don't need a back seat get the Z. If you do the Shelby is the best on the market, I needed a back seat so I got a Shelby.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
It's not even a comparison, if you don't need a back seat get the Z. If you do the Shelby is the best on the market, I needed a back seat so I got a Shelby.

That's a good point; and for what I'm looking for very well said!

My search is for the best/most fun sports car w/ a backseat! Although slower, the E92 M3 is also very tempting.

What are opinions on the '13 GT500 vs the Nissan GTR?

Also offers a backseat, probably equally as fast if not faster. AWD is better for the street, albeit not as fun. And probably more expensive to repair.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
The Zo6 is nice. Great handler and good power. A 13 GT500 vs a GTR...well besides price, a GTR is Godzilla for a reason. Nice car, real nice, but again it comes down to what you want to do. I believe the 13's will be real nice out of the box, with a great upgrade potential.

So in the end, drive and see what it is that makes you happy.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
If u can find a c6z in the 40k range, there's no beating that, I constantly look out of curiosity and can never find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread