2010 GT500 Power Steering pump

celticfdguy

Keepin Calm and Chivin On
Established Member
Hi guys, I may have a dead power steering pump on my 2010 GT500. Long story short, after swapping my P/S tank with a Shelby tank my P/S no longer works. Someone on another forum has same exact issue where we suspect the Shelby tank may be defective and ruins the pump. I have a buddy coming over tomorrow to help me troubleshoot my issue since he has worked on many mustangs in the past. That being said, does anyone know why the part # changes on a 2010 GT500 P/S pump from 2007-2009? I thought the engine and drive train were identical? The problem is I cannot locate a 2010 P/S pump ANYWHERE. 2007-2009 are available. Can anyone confirm if they do change from 07-09 to '10? Just trying to get ahead of this in case I do need a new one. Thanks all

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
  • Genuine:
    Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Parts

Lincoln Parts
    Mercury Parts
  • SKU:7R3Z-3A696-A
  • Power Steering Pump
  • Description:
    Mustang. 5.4l. 2010, 5.4L.

You can buy it here: But will be a special order

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mof-stp179

Motorcraft 7R3Z3A696A - Motorcraft Power Steering Pumps $206.99​

celticfdguy

Established Member
  • Genuine:
    Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Parts

Lincoln Parts
    Mercury Parts
  • SKU:7R3Z-3A696-A
  • Power Steering Pump
  • Description:
    Mustang. 5.4l. 2010, 5.4L.

You can buy it here: But will be a special order

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mof-stp179

Motorcraft 7R3Z3A696A - Motorcraft Power Steering Pumps $206.99​

I got tricked like you. This looks different then what is on my car. I think this is the 07-09 pump

Attachments

• 20220417_103120.jpg
    20220417_103120.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 68

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I got tricked like you. This looks different then what is on my car. I think this is the 07-09 pump
That part number is right off ford parts dealer for your 2010 GT500. How can it be wrong?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
7R3Z-3A696-A

VEHICLE FITMENT​

YearMakeModelBody & TrimEngine & Transmission
2010FordMustangShelby GT5005.4L V8 - Gas
2009FordMustangShelby GT500, Shelby GT500KR5.4L V8 - Gas
2008FordMustangShelby GT500, Shelby GT500KR5.4L V8 - Gas
2007FordMustangShelby GT5005.4L V8 - Gas

celticfdguy

Established Member
Hmmm I am seeing part # AR3Z-3A696-A for my year car on other sites. I wonder if I should call ford parts to confirm? The 2 part numbers are almost identical. I may take a drive over to a ford dealer tomorrow. It would make sense 07-09 would fit 10 but based off the drawing on the link you sent it doesnt look right.. Unless it isnt drawn to depict the actual part 100%?

celticfdguy

Established Member
7R3Z-3A696-A

VEHICLE FITMENT​

YearMakeModelBody & TrimEngine & Transmission
2010FordMustangShelby GT5005.4L V8 - Gas
2009FordMustangShelby GT500, Shelby GT500KR5.4L V8 - Gas
2008FordMustangShelby GT500, Shelby GT500KR5.4L V8 - Gas
2007FordMustangShelby GT5005.4L V8 - Gas

Or do you know a website where I could put in my VIN to confirm the part # is right? Thanks again Vinnie!

celticfdguy

Established Member
Sorry for the delay Vinnie. Had family stuff yesterday so I had to put this headache on hold lol. I put my vin in, clicked on steering and it is showing my pump discontinued. But the part # matches the part # on Summit. How come this part is compatible with a 2007-2010 but the part on Advance Auto Parts is only good for 2007-2009? https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/cardone/20710498-P

Also - anyone have feedback on getting P/S pumps rebuild? I found a few local spots near me that rebuild them. They said it would cost $150 and they have the parts in house to do it.

1650294880604.png

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry for the delay Vinnie. Had family stuff yesterday so I had to put this headache on hold lol. I put my vin in, clicked on steering and it is showing my pump discontinued. But the part # matches the part # on Summit. How come this part is compatible with a 2007-2010 but the part on Advance Auto Parts is only good for 2007-2009? Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Also - anyone have feedback on getting P/S pumps rebuild? I found a few local spots near me that rebuild them. They said it would cost $150 and they have the parts in house to do it.

View attachment 1745936
That question you would need to address with advance auto! Getting a rebuild is also a money saving option. You are just gonna have to make a decision which is the best route for you to go.

Last edited:

celticfdguy

Established Member
That question you would need to address with advance auto! Getting a rebuild is also a money saving option. You are just gonna have to make a decision which is the best route for you to go.
I honestly would rather just go the route of getting it rebuilt so I keep my OEM part. Now that I know that is an option I can breathe a little better. I thought I was stuck with a paperweight of a car in my garage lol.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Rock auto shows two different #s for 9 & 10. Non-Ford part, both out of stock. Looks like rebuild time.

edit* - did you try putting the stock reservoir back on to see if it works as before?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I honestly would rather just go the route of getting it rebuilt so I keep my OEM part. Now that I know that is an option I can breathe a little better. I thought I was stuck with a paperweight of a car in my garage lol.
No worries it will get fixed. Now as we discussed before if Im correct, if you replace the pump you will still need to purge the air out of the system. I still think you should try that first. Maybe another member here can help with this steering pump diagnosis and make some recommendations or some things to try first before replacing the pump. I know your buddy is going to help but some these guys here on STV are very knowledgeable about our shelbys.

celticfdguy

Established Member
No worries it will get fixed. Now as we discussed before if Im correct, if you replace the pump you will still need to purge the air out of the system. I still think you should try that first. Maybe another member here can help with this steering pump diagnosis and make some recommendations or some things to try first before replacing the pump. I know your buddy is going to help but some these guys here on STV are very knowledgeable about our shelbys.
Def. I tried to purge the air by burping the system but didn't work. Tonight, my buddy and I are going to purge all the air out. He has a feeling that there is still air in it which is why it isn't working. I always prepare for the worst case scenario hence this post lol.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Def. I tried to purge the air by burping the system but didn't work. Tonight, my buddy and I are going to purge all the air out. He has a feeling that there is still air in it which is why it isn't working. I always prepare for the worst case scenario hence this post lol.
Sounds good! Hopefully its just air in the system from swapping tanks. keep us updated. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread