2010 3.5 Ecoboost mustang build

Eco

Established Member
I decided nearly a year ago to build the first 3.5 ecoboost mustang after being so impressed with my 2013 ecoboost supercrew. I already own 3 Cobras (2014 gt500, 2004, and 97) but I didn't want to overly modify them to race, an ecoboost race-car seemed like a fun project.

I found a lightly wrecked 2010 mustang with only 9k miles on it, candy red with a glass roof. Since then I've repaired all the damage and replaced both bumpers and lights with 2014 gt500 parts, I used a 2014 v6 hood.

I pulled the 4.0 turd engine, automatic transmission, and rearend out and replaced them with a 3.5 ecoboost TT, 3.7 mustang manual trans, and an 8.8 rearend with 3.73 gears. I used the f150 PCM and wiring harness and integrated that in to the mustang electrical system. I had lots of help with the wiring from a friend and fellow mustang nut Lexiion who I know posts here, I couldn't have done this without him.

With my current modifications I should be well over 500 whp and have plans for an engine rebuild with new turbos to get me around 800 whp. The car is now running and we should be able to take of for a test drive tomorrow!

Here's a link to the build thread! Car starts on page 40

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/mustang-3-5l-ecoboost-engine-swap-538017/

I will post some pics when I can, I guess I don't have enough posts to be able to now.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
I had lots of help with the wiring from a friend and fellow mustang nut Lexiion who I know posts here, I couldn't have done this without him.

So you call me a Mustang nut??? Remember you want to go on a test drive tomorrow :lol:

Who is the Mustang nut in this picture on the right ??

mustang_nut.jpg

:beer:

Happy to help :burnout:

LEXiiON

Last edited:

lsittingbull

Established Member
Great job guys I'm looking to do a similar build..But to those that might be interested ford has released the control pack for the 3.5 ecoboost..CONTROLS PACK - 2013 3.5L ECO BOOST MANUAL TRANSMISSION

M-6017-35CNTRL

Suggested Retail Price

$2,299.00

^^^Price is killing me and the lack of not being for an Auto.

Eco

Established Member
So you call me a Mustang nut??? Remember you want to go on a test drive tomorrow :lol:

Who is the Mustang nut in this picture on the right ??

View attachment 60605

:beer:

Happy to help :burnout:

LEXiiON

Haha, I recognize that guy! I really liked helping with your engine swap, I learned a lot. How coincidental was it that you and we're both doing drivetrain swaps on 2010 candy red mustangs just a few miles from each other?

Eco

Established Member
Great job guys I'm looking to do a similar build..But to those that might be interested ford has released the control pack for the 3.5 ecoboost..CONTROLS PACK - 2013 3.5L ECO BOOST MANUAL TRANSMISSION

M-6017-35CNTRL

Suggested Retail Price

$2,299.00

^^^Price is killing me and the lack of not being for an Auto.

Thanks! Yes the control pack is finally available...only took a few years of broken promised release dates lol. We debated using it but I think Lexiion really liked the challenge of using the factory PCM and he got all the challenge he wanted haha. I suspect if you give hptuners a little more time they will be able to reprogram the factory PCM to do what want...like a control pack for auto. I think they are really close, if they can get their hands on a control pack and download the strategy that would be all they needed.

Eco

Established Member
that is an awesome build! i would love to stick an ecoboost motor in one of my ford probes.

Thank you! I think that would be a very tight fit, it barely fits in the mustang....barely. If the engine was 1/4" wider I would have had problems with the steering shaft. If the engine was 1/2" longer I couldn't have fit the turbo piping.

Eco

Established Member
Very cool. I can't wait to read about your racing adventures.

This season will be fun, but as soon as the snow starts falling again here in Colorado the car will be rebuilt again to really kick some a** in the next race season. I'll pull the engine for a bottom end rebuild to handle more boost, pull the trans and either replace or rebuild with stronger parts, and I will attempt a 2015 IRS swap just for fun.

Eco

Established Member
In for updates. Post all your progress here, I'm really interested in seeing how it turns out.

Will do! Hopefully today's update will include rubber hitting the road....if not there's always tomorrow.

Love the hypno-toad avatar btw

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
In for updates. Post all your progress here, I'm really interested in seeing how it turns out.

I hope it will run today/tomorrow. Still fighting some cabling things. But i think we are pretty close. Goal is to datalog today/tomorrow and send them to ZeroSVT (HPTuners) to get a good baseline tune. Then let's go and burn those All-Season Crap tires :D

LEXiiON

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Quick update. I went over, fixed some wiring to get it started. Stephen will post some first video's soon.
We did a short drive to datalog and already sent that off to hptuners.
LEXiiON

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread