2010 2011 gt500 1-2 shift problem Poll

Do you have the 2010 2011 gt500 1-2 shift problem?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well I have my update.

Went to Ford today to get my car, was told yesterday that Shop foreman needs to see it happen. So today with no rain, I go down and I tell the Shop guy to drive. We hit a nice street, and he goes for it. Lol the expression on his face as the car takes off hard. He gets to 5800 and power-shifts, BAM ! no go. He's like dam..... that's a let down. Lol he wanted to hit second and really let the car go!

Go back to Ford and he tells the service manager. Well now it gets interesting. The service manager goes with the *We had a Ford tech here yesterday, and they know nothing* So now I have to break into the whole *its all over the forum and your guy just did it..* Then he starts talking about how if they do something they may not get paid by Ford......So of course I cut him off and explain how EVERY FORD I HAVE BOUGHT has been from that very lot...and your saying you are worried about Ford not paying for a part ? So your going to let a known problem.....known to you and your shop guy, because of a little bit of money you may not get back ???

Well of course he back pedals hard, lol sprinted really and tells me no no no he is just waiting on the field guy...if he has nothing, they will do something, *I sent him a part list from the forum, and I should hear from him on Monday.

This should be interesting.

jfm762

Similar Problem with my 2011 Gt500

I have had the same issues with my GT500. Car has 1900 miles on it and transmission has been an issue since new. Babied the car till 600 miles but tranny always seemed notchy going into second at low rpm's. A few higher rpm shifts after that, around 5800, and i experienced the same grind issues many of you have had. I did bring the car into my local dealer twice. At 800 miles had their technician go for a drive with me. I drove first and did 2 hard passes 5800-6000. ground both times. The tech told me I'm not shifting correctly. Tech than got behind the wheel and also ground second at high rpm. I guess he cant shift either. Nothing was done at that point. A few months later brought car in to Ford again Because the service manager wanted to drive it. Car had about 1200 miles on it at that time. It was a very cold day so service manager didnt do high rpm pass. But noted car was often difficult to get in second during normal driving. I was asked to leave car so Ford could send out someone to look at car. after a week Ford rep finally came out to look at car and deemed it was operating normally and any issues were driver error. I have been driving and drag racing manual trans. cars and motorcycles for 25 years I think I know where second is. Not sure what experience the ford tech and service manager have but I think they now where second is also. On a side note it is interesting that one of the many updates on the 2013 GT500 is the shift linkage.

2011 GT500 VIN 1ZVBP8JS1B5148194

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
I have a 2010 with 8K miles on it. VIN is 1ZVBP8JS2A5162572. My grind issue started at about 3K+ miles and has been sporadic ever since. About the only trend is that it only does it after the transmission is fully warmed up. I have had the grind at various RPMs and not always quick shifting. Very frustrating in that I know it is not normal yet if it won't grind when I take it to a dealer, then there is nothing they can do. My luck will be it will start doing it on a regular basis after the warranty runs out. Does anyone know what Ford/Tremec has stated the cause is. I have seen other threads that list the parts that are typically replaced however I have not seen root cause described. Are the new parts just a replacement of the old or are they improved. Has FORD/Tremec stated what was root cause? Was it a material, design, assembly deficiency or all three?

"According to Tremec the 1-2 shift gear clash issue is probably not caused by a single issue. On early 2010 and prior cars the syncros used brass rings, later models used carbon fiber, this did improve the problem. The remote mount shifter also contributes, an improved shifter (Shelby, Hurst etc.) does help. The rate of clutch release also contributes to the problem. He said that Tremec laid blame on the clutch and the clutch manufacture laid blame on the transmission. He has had customers replace all 3 to cure the issue." from fordgt500 forum...

Corepuncher

Established Member
So I have a 2011...does that mean I have a carbon fiber blocker ring?

After having my car for a solid year...I guess I have just gotten much better at driving it. I rarely grind....but do find that if the tires are spinning...it's easier for the shift to be denied.

I also find, that if I go 1 - 2 shift with ACCELERATING RPMS, it does not grind. Meaning, you are in 1st, RPM's going up...then right before you shift, you give it just a TAD more gas to spike the RPM's...then shift. For some reason...it grinds much easier if you shift at a constant RPM (holding it level for a while). That's my experience. Also doesn't like slow /lazy shifts going around a corner (like at a stoplight, take off in 1st and also turn and shift into 2nd while turning).

Ed M

After having my car for a solid year...I guess I have just gotten much better at driving it. I rarely grind....but do find that if the tires are spinning...it's easier for the shift to be denied.

I also find, that if I go 1 - 2 shift with ACCELERATING RPMS, it does not grind. Meaning, you are in 1st, RPM's going up...then right before you shift, you give it just a TAD more gas to spike the RPM's...then shift. For some reason...it grinds much easier if you shift at a constant RPM (holding it level for a while). That's my experience. Also doesn't like slow /lazy shifts going around a corner (like at a stoplight, take off in 1st and also turn and shift into 2nd while turning).

This has been my exact experience also. There also is a slight delay of second gear engaging after the shift is made that can be felt through the shifter.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
For the record I know of someone who is cruising in a borrowed 13 and he says he can shift as fast as he likes but the clutch does engage real high.

backinastang

Established Member
I had mine rebuilt at 3500 miles. It seemed better but as soon as I started shifting fast, like I have in 20 of 40 cars I have owned to date, it started grinding. Not as often and not as bad but it does. I attribute that to practice on my end. You just can't shift these trannies like others. I don't think its the internals. I think it's the slave engaging late, the clutch plate or the linkage. Could be a bit of each. I remember my shop foreman thinking it was a slave issue. I just want to let you all know that taking your car to the shop for a week or two may not be the answer. I'm waiting to see if the 13 slave, clutch and linkage can be adapted to our cars.

In the meantime. Take a breath, think smooth shift, wait until the clutch is at the floor and pull to your hip.

Last edited:

PorkchopExpress

Established Member

That describes my exact issue.

I am now up to 16000 miles and have noticed that shifting into any gear is now more difficult. I have to put more pressure into every shift than when I first purchased the car. Anybody else experience this?

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
I believe this is the solution to the grind is to have the shifter, clutch and syncro's replaced to fix the issue. Here is the repair list that finally I believe has fixed the issue:
7r3z 7a082 a kit trans control selector
ar3z 7124aa syncro assy 1-2
ar3z 7107a ring syncro
1r3z 7052aa seal asy oil
7r3z 7052a seal asy oil
ar3z 7b096a Pin roll
ar3z 7102ab gear main shaft 2nd speed
cr3z 7400a control asy -gear shift
cr3z 7b546a clutch asy
Basically new syncro, shifter and clutch from the 2013 GT500.

AlanSVT

Established Member
a693799c-83d5-44c2.jpg

Swyped while swerving

bd2bonez06

Established Member
Just picked up a 2011 with 3608 on the clock and have this issue with second only'. Thought I was just rusty at shifting after having converted my vette to an auto. So is the consensus to take it in and they will warranty replace these parts? Are these 13 parts?

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
i solved my 1-2 shift gring with a WOTBOX....it doesnt fix the problem but it circumvents it...best $199 i ever spent and ive made over 100+ passes at the drag strip never missing a gear....

bd2bonez06

Established Member
i solved my 1-2 shift gring with a WOTBOX....it doesnt fix the problem but it circumvents it...best $199 i ever spent and ive made over 100+ passes at the drag strip never missing a gear....

Where can these be purchased ? Going to read up on them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Update: After getting no where with my service manager, I called Ford Customer service. The ticket has been shot up the chain, and I am supposed to see~talk to a Ford guy on the 15th. Also the dealer through a few of the SR people I know there have gone to bat with the owner to try to resolve things......I have not heard anything from that end, but with Ford escalating this, it may get even more interesting.

I guess I'll wait to install my MGW now....

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
Ninjak...I think you should cut your losses and give the wotbox a try.....Ive heard so many nightmare stories over the 1-2 shift issue and I felt the same way with my car until i got the WOTBOX....I think spending the $199 and trying it out first is a much better option then chasing Ford ....like i said it doesnt fix the problem it navigates its way around it which imo is just as good as calling it a "fix" ....it definately beats having some yahoo tech rip into your tranny and not even be able to gaurantee whats being done will actualy fix anything....dont mean to put a damper on your pursuit of a fix by Ford nut just think trying the Wotbox first would be the better choice...sucks that we have all spent $45-50k on a car with a factory desingned tranny flaw....

Users who are viewing this thread