2009 CTS-V vs 2002 C5 Z06: stock vs stock

16kOrBust

Established Member
A few of us were hangin out the other night including my buddy who just picked up a stock 2009 CTS-V auto. While we were talking, we noticed this C5 Z06 kept driving by. I hadn't been for a ride in the V yet and the Z06 sounded pretty stock, so we decided to go see if we could get a run in. We followed him up onto the highway and made a few attempts, but he didn't really get the whole three honks thing right away. When I finally motioned for him to slow down, though, I told him I'd count three and we'd both punch it. We got a pretty even start and I think he was surprised with the results :-D:

[youtube_browser]hBgL8a2oyb0[/youtube_browser]

Afterwards he pulls up next to us and goes, "That car cranks out!" We asked what year and what was done to it and he said it was a stock 2002. He did not have a passenger. We complimented him on the nice car and went on our way to beat on the V some more.

I have to say I was very impressed with how the pull in this car just keeps going and going. Even at 140 you're still getting sucked back into the seat and later on when I hopped on the bike to mess around with him a little bit, he said at one point he hit 175 and the needle was still crankin up. Interior quality is VERY nice, definitely a step or two up from the older CTS-V's. It also handles very well for a car that weighs almost 4,300 pounds. Impressive all around. :rockon:

Last edited:

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Very nice! I miss seeing your "600" beat up on high hp cars, you have to post more vids up lol.

cmsnake

Established Member
Maybe the Z needs a driver mod? Not saying he would win but I dont think a stock 02 Z should get pulled like that by a V. My father has a stock 2010 V sedan and he didnt pull me that bad in my stock 2011 5.0 A6. I assume a stock 02 Z would be slightly quicker than my car.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Thanks, guys. It was a fun run, that's for sure. The Z driver appeared to know what he was doing in terms of gear selection and shifting based on how he was beating on it before that, but you never know. A couple "early" shifts might have cost him some distance, but I don't think it would have given him the win.

Very nice! I miss seeing your "600" beat up on high hp cars, you have to post more vids up lol.

Thanks, man. Hopefully I'll get some more vids this year. There are plenty of cars around here that will - or at least should - put a whoopin on me, it's just that many can't drive or aren't looking to run a bike and I don't usually go asking to run cars unless I have a reason. Most of the runs I find are people looking to see how their car will do against a 600. Quite a few are disappointed, but I do lose races. I don't mind because it just means I got to see a badass car.

On the other hand, if I hear someone talking about how they beat 600's on a regular basis (which seems to happen quite often), I'll absolutely ask them if they want to back up that statement. It's always the guys bragging who wind up backpedaling or bringing a 400hp car...or less. People don't realize that from anywhere under 60mph, I'm just gonna be toying with cars like pullied Cobras or H/C LS1's. As long as we start below 60mph it means I can start in 1st gear. Even from a higher roll like 60-70mph starting in second gear I'm gonna crank away from a pullied Cobra or H/C LS1, and they won't start coming back until 130-140mph. At that point I'll be pretty far out, though, and there's not much reason to run a 600 to 150+ speeds. It'll hit a legit 160 but that last 20mph takes a LONG time.

Last edited:

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
Thanks, guys. It was a fun run, that's for sure. The Z driver appeared to know what he was doing in terms of gear selection and shifting based on how he was beating on it before that, but you never know. A couple "early" shifts might have cost him some distance, but I don't think it would have given him the win.

Thanks, man. Hopefully I'll get some more vids this year. There are plenty of cars around here that will - or at least should - put a whoopin on me, it's just that many can't drive or aren't looking to run a bike and I don't usually go asking to run cars unless I have a reason. Most of the runs I find are people looking to see how their car will do against a 600. Quite a few are disappointed, but I do lose races. I don't mind because it just means I got to see a badass car.

On the other hand, if I hear someone talking about how they beat 600's on a regular basis (which seems to happen quite often), I'll absolutely ask them if they want to back up that statement. It's always the guys bragging who wind up backpedaling or bringing a 400hp car...or less. People don't realize that from anywhere under 60mph, I'm just gonna be toying with cars like pullied Cobras or H/C LS1's. As long as we start below 60mph it means I can start in 1st gear. Even from a higher roll like 60-70mph starting in second gear I'm gonna crank away from a pullied Cobra or H/C LS1, and they won't start coming back until 130-140mph. At that point I'll be pretty far out, though, and there's not much reason to run a 600 to 150+ speeds. It'll hit a legit 160 but that last 20mph takes a LONG time.

you can't take it to heart though. it seems as though not all 600's are created equal, especially the older ones. couple that with inexperienced riders and i think it's easy for people with 400hp cars to think they can walk 600's. i know i've pulled on some older 600's myself and i'm not running anything special. then a friend of mine pulled out some old carbed 750 and it was lights out for me. bikes are very inconsistent.

16kOrBust

Established Member
you can't take it to heart though. it seems as though not all 600's are created equal, especially the older ones. couple that with inexperienced riders and i think it's easy for people with 400hp cars to think they can walk 600's. i know i've pulled on some older 600's myself and i'm not running anything special. then a friend of mine pulled out some old carbed 750 and it was lights out for me. bikes are very inconsistent.

My point is in line with yours. The people out there who are walking 600's with 400hp cars are either racing very old bikes (like 10+ years old) or beating the riders. The problem is that unlike the car scene, 95% of the riders out there couldn't do a bike justice in a straight line if you offered them $1,000 on the spot (nevermind in the twisties). It's not as simple as twisting the throttle like people like to say.

And the difference between a good rider and an average street rider isn't a high 11-second vehicle vs a mid 12-second vehicle like it would be with a car; it's the difference between a high 10-second bike vs a 13-second bike when starting a couple gears too high, not tucking, shifting slowly, etc.

I ran a guy the other night on an 05 GSXR 600 (which is only slightly slower than my bike) and no joke, my brother would have beaten the guy with his bolt-on G8 that he had out that night - from a roll. I beat him so bad you wouldn't even have thought he was racing. He couldn't believe my bike was a 600. 95% of the riders out there just don't know what they're doing, and with the powerband on a 600, that basically means you're toast even if you're trying to mess around with a 12 second car from what should be a first gear roll. It's sad but true.

CobraKid04

Established Member
very late hit for the z....a loss is a loss though, but I don't think this is a true representation of the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread