2008 gt500 break system weight ????

Q8_Shelby

Ford Mens Factory
Established Member
I'm going to change my break system .. I would like to know the weight of the stock breake system to compare them?

Thanks
Ali

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Hopefully this helps, but the complete front system (calipers, pads, rotors), all four flexible brake lines to each caliper, front dust shields, and rear pads, together weigh 80 lbs. Only things not included are rear empty calipers, rear brackets, and rear rotors. I'd say a fair estimate of the complete system would be roughly 110 lbs.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I'm going to change my break system .. I would like to know the weight of the stock breake system to compare them?

Thanks
Ali

Please don't tell me you're going to upgrade your power by a couple of hundred horsepower and then downgrade your brakes to some crappy Mustang GT brakes like the straight-line Terminator owners like to do?! :rollseyes

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Please don't tell me you're going to upgrade your power by a couple of hundred horsepower and then downgrade your brakes to some crappy Mustang GT brakes like the straight-line Terminator owners like to do?! :rollseyes
Actually, VERY few "straight line" Terminator owners go to GT brakes. And the ones that do have pretty much dedicated track cars with very aggressive ET goals that can be best met by reducing rotational weight. I personally prefer to keep my stock brake system and look for other areas to shave weight. :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Actually, VERY few "straight line" Terminator owners go to GT brakes. And the ones that do have pretty much dedicated track cars with very aggressive ET goals that can be best met by reducing rotational weight. I personally prefer to keep my stock brake system and look for other areas to shave weight. :beer:

The "BEST" way to reduce unsprung, parasitic rotating mass is to go to a lightweight, 2pc rotor assembly with an aluminum hat. Compliment that with shit canning the heavy iron caliper bracket and iron PBR caliper and replace them with an aluminum fixed caliper Y2KR four piston Brembo.

One of my pet peeves is a guy that upgrades the power of his Mustang by 200 RWHP and then downgrades the braking capibilities of the vehicle. We are talking saftey issues here! :idea:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Q8_Shelby

Ford Mens Factory
Established Member
I'm looking for ( wilwood ) W6A Big Brake Front Brake Kit and W4A Big Brake Rear Parking Brake Kit . What you think ?

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
The "BEST" way to reduce unsprung, parasitic rotating mass is to go to a lightweight, 2pc rotor assembly with an aluminum hat. Compliment that with shit canning the heavy iron caliper bracket and iron PBR caliper and replace them with an aluminum fixed caliper Y2KR four piston Brembo.

Do you have any links to some of the parts mentioned above? It would be great if you could get actual weight or weight savings numbers from some of these on-line retailers or manufacturers. I wouldn't mind loosing some weight and at least retaining the stock stopping ability.

I've actually thought about getting some lightweight Jongbloed or similar type wheels instead of, or at least before touching the brake system.

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
I'm looking for ( wilwood ) W6A Big Brake Front Brake Kit and W4A Big Brake Rear Parking Brake Kit . What you think ?

You can skip changing out the rear brakes IMHO other than doing the floating rotors.

A car with a 57/43 weight distribution the fronts are going to do over 80% of the braking. Even on the Koni Challenge Grand AM cars they keep the stock rear brakes in place other than the brake pads.

Dave

Dave07997S

Established Member

One of my pet peeves is a guy that upgrades the power of his Mustang by 200 RWHP and then downgrades the braking capibilities of the vehicle. We are talking saftey issues here! :idea:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Tell us how you really feel Bruce...:-D

dave

Users who are viewing this thread