2008 GT 500 Auto Swap

allgo

Established Member
Need all the help I can get.. whos tranny to use, how much work is this really, and is it worth it? And what will it cost? Thanks

Mainn

Established Member
FB Performance 4r70w in my car. They can supply you with everything you require for the swap, including the torque converter.

It's a rather simple switch-over overall. Requires some wiring of course, and the transmission tunnel needs some work, but not much more than that. Also requires a very minor tuning adjustment, but that's no issue.

I think it was worth it, but I am biased. Shifts are perfect, quick and firm every time. Stall of the torque converter brings you up into the power band instantly (although not much of an issue with all the torque these cars have). Launches are a lot softer on the drivetrain, and more consistent, too. The ease of driving in traffic is just another bonus!

Not providing specifics in terms of price - but it cost over $8k overall.

Are you thinking of a manual valve body, or installing a controller?

allgo

Established Member
How much quicker did you go with the auto? How long have you had in car? I would proable go with a controller.. Thanks for the help..what about the new autos in the newer mustangs?

Coonsnake

Established Member
I prefer the BTS built 4r100. Bullet proof trans that will hold over a 1000 rwhp. Has overdrive, uses a very sophisticated trans controller allowing great street drive ability. Also uses a factory mustang GT shifter for the stock looking appeal. Drop my time from a 10.0 to a 9.5. Another tvs car from a 10.5 to a 10.0. BTS is the only way to go imo

fauls gt500

Established Member
Definitely fb just done about 1 month ago about 8500 including labor and ford dealership did swap 4r70w with 3300 stall and trans brake very easy installation could have done it myself it's that easy just call Freddy and he will hook you up

Mainn

Established Member
How much quicker did you go with the auto? How long have you had in car? I would proable go with a controller.. Thanks for the help..what about the new autos in the newer mustangs?

Not sure, never took it to the track, sorry. I've had it in the car for about two years now; no issues at all in that time. It's ran perfectly. The only reputable controller for a 4r70w that I've found is from Baumann, which is also what I use. They're super easy to tune, use and install and I've never had any trouble with it.

There's no 6r80 external controller currently available, so to do that swap you'd have to use a PCM from a 2011+ Coyote, which would make the swap 10x more difficult. I know VMP had a TCI 6x swapped 2013 GT500, so that has been done before.

I also use a stock shifter from a standard Mustang V6/GT. I wanted it to look as factory as possible. It works well for my use.

Users who are viewing this thread