2008 Ford Edge Engine Replacement Help

UnorthodoxCreat

Established Member
My brother has lost the engine in his 2008 Ford Edge with the 3.5L. We are considering purchasing an used engine and replacing it ourselves versus having the dealer do it. Myself and my dad are very mechanically inclined though much more experienced on older cars than new. My main concern is can the engine come out the top? We have a pit and engine hoists but no lift. It seems going out the bottom would be easier but I don't know if we can get the front end high enough. Is there anything else that someone not working at a dealer should be aware of or make you hesitant to do this at home?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
My brother has lost the engine in his 2008 Ford Edge with the 3.5L. We are considering purchasing an used engine and replacing it ourselves versus having the dealer do it. Myself and my dad are very mechanically inclined though much more experienced on older cars than new. My main concern is can the engine come out the top? We have a pit and engine hoists but no lift. It seems going out the bottom would be easier but I don't know if we can get the front end high enough. Is there anything else that someone not working at a dealer should be aware of or make you hesitant to do this at home?

We used to just pull the whole subframe from the truck instead with drivetrain intact through the bottom. From there, yanking everything off the motor was easier to get to. You will need a ton of room if you dont have a lift.

Pull the cowl panel for sure if the engine is coming out of the top. May want to see if you can yank the whole front header panel off(grille, lights, bumper, header, radiator, A/C) and pull the drivetrain out the front of the vehicle. It works if you can get it high enough. We did that with a few of the Flex vehicles in our back shop(ceiling height was like 12'). You would need to recharge the A/C afterward but its worth getting to everything without leaning over the body the whole time.

You will need a shallow finger 3 jaw puller to get the harmonic balancer off. Its an odd tool that OTC made specifically for that engine. I believe sometime mid 2007ish they changed the balancer to the bolt in removal tool. Check to see which one you have before you yank the motor out. IIRC the tool was quite expensive and using a regular puller just wouldnt work no matter how much we shaved the fingers down. Dont try to pry it with a prybar either....ask me how i know.

UnorthodoxCreat

Established Member
Thank you for the reply. He just called me and he got a reasonable price from the local Lincoln dealer where he took it to put in a used engine so he's going to go that route.

mrlrd1

Established Member
I've done several, along with countless water pumps on those POS. I have an 08 Edge in my bay now with the trans out.

Don't bother pulling it out from the top. Drop the subframe first AND THEN remove the powertrain as a unit. Kevin is wrong in that the powertrain mounts to the body, not the subframe. The powertrain does NOT come out with the subframe, it's all separate.

Without a lift I imagine it would be quite time consuming, although there is nothing technically difficult about it. No special tools necessary. Don't both with the transmission line "quick" disconnect tools, they rarely work. Remove the 1" fittings at the bypass block.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't bother pulling it out from the top. Drop the subframe first AND THEN remove the powertrain as a unit. Kevin is wrong in that the powertrain mounts to the body, not the subframe. The powertrain does NOT come out with the subframe, it's all separate.

The engine/transmission sure do come out with the subframe. The Ford service manual has this as the first action item when removal/replacement of the engine is required. You have to remove the engine mounts to the body but the transmission mounts and rear engine mount at the subframe can easily support the engine load. Done this at least a hundred times without fault.

Also the balancer is 100% a Rotunda speciality tool. Part number SCH13451. Its an update kit to SCH64900. You might get away with something else but that is the correct tool for the job.

mrlrd1

Established Member
The engine/transmission sure do come out with the subframe. The Ford service manual has this as the first action item when removal/replacement of the engine is required. You have to remove the engine mounts to the body but the transmission mounts and rear engine mount at the subframe can easily support the engine load. Done this at least a hundred times without fault.

Also the balancer is 100% a Rotunda speciality tool. Part number SCH13451. Its an update kit to SCH64900. You might get away with something else but that is the correct tool for the job.

No, the engine and transmission both mount to the body. Only the torque mount attaches to the subframe.

GM/Chrysler balancer puller works best.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
No, the engine and transmission both mount to the body. Only the torque mount attaches to the subframe.

GM/Chrysler balancer puller works best.

Which you can yank all the mounts. Leave the roll mount on the subframe and remove the engine, trans and subframe as ONE unit. This is specifically called for in the service manual for removal of engine. It even shows you the locations to block up when lowering the cradle.

The GM/Chrysler puller is the one listed with the updated jaws....

Last edited:

mrlrd1

Established Member
Which you can yank all the mounts. Leave the roll mount on the subframe and remove the engine, trans and subframe as ONE unit. This is specifically called for in the service manual for removal of engine. It even shows you the locations to block up when lowering the cradle.

The GM/Chrysler puller is the one listed with the updated jaws....

Damn dude. I STRONGLY suggest you actually read the service manual before spouting off again. The subframe is removed separately from the powertrain.

I do this for a living and I have the damn car right here in bay, with the service manual open in a separate tab. You WERE a tech, and by the advice given here and the past, it's a damn good thing that you no longer are.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Let me guess, water pump died and dumped coolant in the motor, and decimated the entire oiling system?

Shocking. I made so much money off 3.5 engine jobs when I was an adviser.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Let me guess, water pump died and dumped coolant in the motor, and decimated the entire oiling system?

Shocking. I made so much money off 3.5 engine jobs when I was an adviser.

Why did they fail so much?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Why did they fail so much?

My buddy’s 08 failed due to water pump failure. The water pump failed, filling the engine with coolant. The engine in his Edge had an internally driven water pump. He was told this is a common problem on the older Ford Edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
My buddy’s 08 failed due to water pump failure. The water pump failed, filling the engine with coolant. The engine in his Edge had an internally driven water pump. He was told this is a common problem on the older Ford Edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So i suppose add Water pump to 30k maintenance items?

Damn, Ive replaced MANY water pumps on the cars I work on, but if they fail they leak externally. Would suck A TON OF BALLS if a WP killed my engine from dumping it into the oiling system.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn dude. I STRONGLY suggest you actually read the service manual before spouting off again. The subframe is removed separately from the powertrain.

I do this for a living and I have the damn car right here in bay, with the service manual open in a separate tab. You WERE a tech, and by the advice given here and the past, it's a damn good thing that you no longer are.

Nice try. See attached service manual pages for removal of powertrain AND subframe from vehicle THEN removing engine from transaxle. They even have the "ghetto" rig way of retaining the ENGINE to the subframe with a ratchet strap.

Directly from the PTS Motorcraft Service website. Direct from the factory. No bullshit over here. Please check your manual again since it seems to be wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    238.4 KB · Views: 907
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    279.4 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    268.6 KB · Views: 834

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member

That last sentence is a little hurtful. Please show me where i have EVER spewed bad information on this site. Yes, I WAS a tech. A great tech. And by the looks of your post and its incorrect information I suggest you do a little homework next time before spouting your mouth. If you're a current tech and don't have the correct service manual for the truck that is in your bay at this exact moment id be very hesitant to take my truck to your dealer.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
My main concern is can the engine come out the top? We have a pit and engine hoists but no lift. It seems going out the bottom would be easier but I don't know if we can get the front end high enough. Is there anything else that someone not working at a dealer should be aware of or make you hesitant to do this at home?

Let me give you my two cents. Years ago I needed to replace the engine in my SHO and as my friend (BMW mechanic) pondered the situation, his neighbor (service manager at the local Ford dealership) swore up and down the only way to remove it was by dropping it out the bottom. He said it could never come out the top. It came out the top with a cherry picker. Doing the top route was just safer because the car was not on a lift.

Users who are viewing this thread