2008 F250 Glow plug doesnt come one?

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
2008 F250 Glow plug light doesnt come one? Does anybody know why? I had my buddy diagnois is and it said banks 2 4 6 8 glow plug. 24k miles. bad realy or something, runs great.

Last edited:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
How hot is it outside? If it is warm outside (it is summer there right?) it may not come on because it doesn't need to. :shrug:

STG

Banned
In my experience with 6.4s they don't need their glow plugs unless it's really cold.

If a diesel hasn't been running the past hour or so, it needs glow plugs to fire up in Death Valley in 128 F.

To the OP: A 2008 PSD with 24K is under warranty. GO TO THE DEALER.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If a diesel hasn't been running the past hour or so, it needs glow plugs to fire up in Death Valley in 128 F.

To the OP: A 2008 PSD with 24K is under warranty. GO TO THE DEALER.

I think the 6.4 may be an exception here. It has much more precise injector control than earlier engines. They fire up as soon as you roll the key.

STG

Banned
I think the 6.4 may be an exception here. It has much more precise injector control than earlier engines. They fire up as soon as you roll the key.

Are you claiming that a 6.4 can start without the use of glow plugs if it has been sitting for eight hours?

Adam.L.

Established Member
2008 F250 Glow plug light doesnt come one? Does anybody know why? I had my buddy diagnois is and it said banks 2 4 6 8 glow plug. 24k miles. bad realy or something, runs great.

In 70 degree weather, my glow plug light stays on for the duration of the instrument cluster lamp test only.

If you think your glow plugs are not functioning, let the warranty cover it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Are you claiming that a 6.4 can start without the use of glow plugs if it has been sitting for eight hours?

All I know is every 6.4 I've test driven has fired right up upon putting in and rolling the key. That is my experience.

STG

Banned

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
If it don't need glow plugs, how cum dem Ford accountaxts let dem engineers spend da money on em?

This says the Wait to Start Lamp is completely independant of glow plug operation.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/.../Diesel_Operating_Maintenance_and_Care_Tips.pdf

Because its summer for most of the country and its quite warm. All of my buddies trucks that range from cummins, to strokes to duramaxes don't need to wait unless its under 50.

Most newer engines are crank and go.

Users who are viewing this thread