2008 Battery Test

RedZR

Established Member
I have my 2008 GT500 in storage and it has a 3 year old Motorcraft battery. My question is how much voltage should it have after it sits for a while, uncharged.

I have not placed the charger on it for two weeks and the battery is unhooked (but still in the car). I checked it with my voltmeter and its recording 12.24 volts at 20* outside. I placed my charger on it and it shows fully charged at 12.5- 12.6 without the car running.

Is 12.24 too low? I have been reading that 12.2 is practically discharged but I would like a second opinion.

Any help is appreciated.

Dan

moncho

Established Member
I had a battery read 7 VDC and was able to bring it back with a CLEK charger. The battery was already about 8 years old, it went fine for a while and finally failed. This was due mostly because an internal cell didn't have enough electrolyte. Had it been topped up I think I would still have the battery in the car. I would say your fine, just try and charge it once a week especially when it's extremely cold. These OEM Ford batteries hold their own.

MG0h3

Established Member
You’re fine. 12.6 is 100%.

You don’t need to disconnect the battery. General rule is under .250amps parasitic draw is ok and won’t drain the battery. I regularly leave my car for 3 months and it fires right up.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread