2007 GT500 Convertable

Blk2000GT

Established Member
Hey guys, I've been following the information in this Forum For a long time... But this is my first post. I'm a LEO in Michigan, and I stoppped a preproduction 2007 GT500 convertable today. The guy driving it was really cool, and he let me check it out. It was basically an 05 GT convertable body, but with GT500 drivetrain and brakes. It had the 4v 5.4 with a twin screw blower (sorry, I don't know what kind it was), and a live rear axle. it also had the cross drilled brembos up front. The guy said that everything on that car should be going into the production version. He said the vert will be priced around 45k, with the coupe around 37-40k. I told him that I'd been waiting a long time for this car, and he told me not to worry... "You will not be disappointed, and the price will be reasonable". The car sounded mean as hell. I want one!!! now all i need to do is convince the WIFE that it'll make a practical family car :rollseyes Just thought you guys would like the info.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Well that maked me feel a little better, thanks!

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
SVT, let's kill those nasty rumors about no vert version of the GT500 .. c'mon SVT give the world the yes nod on the vert so we can sleep at night!!

Regards,

Vert Lover with $45K in Hand.

Calebp

Established Member
I've read that there will be no convertible due to the structure of the vehicle linked with the massive amount of torque not cooperating well.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Blk2000GT said:
Hey guys, I've been following the information in this Forum For a long time... But this is my first post. I'm a LEO in Michigan, and I stoppped a preproduction 2007 GT500 convertable today. The guy driving it was really cool, and he let me check it out. It was basically an 05 GT convertable body, but with GT500 drivetrain and brakes. It had the 4v 5.4 with a twin screw blower (sorry, I don't know what kind it was), and a live rear axle. it also had the cross drilled brembos up front. The guy said that everything on that car should be going into the production version. He said the vert will be priced around 45k, with the coupe around 37-40k. I told him that I'd been waiting a long time for this car, and he told me not to worry... "You will not be disappointed, and the price will be reasonable". The car sounded mean as hell. I want one!!! now all i need to do is convince the WIFE that it'll make a practical family car :rollseyes Just thought you guys would like the info.

Man, I hope you are right. I am waiting to order this damn thing. At least I have some hope now...I called SVT today to further badger them about building a convertible, but they were closed. Now I guess I'll have to call tomorrow. Thanks!

VenemousShadow

Go Cats!
Established Member
Yeah, no vert would def. kill any thoughts ive entertained about buying the 06/07, I realize this thing will be a torque monster, but cmon I live in AZ ive gotta have a vert

EastCoastSVT

Established Member
i was at the NY auto show and the svt rep even said that there were no plans for a gt500 vert because there was just to much power and torque

USBlueStage2

Established Member
An article in Motor Trend quotes a Ford exec saying, in response to a question about a convertivle model: "We did it in '68, why not now?"

ROBSNAKE

Established Member
Funny the rep at the show in ny said on sunday that the vert would be 6 months away. Tom I believe his name was

EastCoastSVT

Established Member
that is wierd...i went on sat and that rep said there was no vert coming out because of the power it will produce....guess we got something new to guess about vert or no vert.......

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
EastCoastSVT said:
that is wierd...i went on sat and that rep said there was no vert coming out because of the power it will produce....guess we got something new to guess about vert or no vert.......

I can't believe that the new chassis/hp combination could be worse than the 04 combination with a 25 year old platform! I think they sold every vert they built in 04. I can't imagine them not building another one.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
I agree, Eliotness. I called SVT this morning to badger them about this. The guy said there will "absolutely" be a GT500 Convertible, and it will debut along side the production GT500 Coupe in Detroit early '06, so there is hope! I believe these guys over the reps any day...

Blk2000GT

Established Member
All I can tell you guys is that I saw a manufacturer plated, 05 mustang convertible. I looked under the hood myself, and there sat the a blown 5.4. It had the whole drive train, and brakes, of the NYAS GT500 "Concept". The guy driving assured me that the vert was comming, and even told me what the price would be. Just last weekend i saw the same car out driving on the freeway. :shrug:

killer b

where its cold and crappy 90% of the time
How can ya not know what type of supercharger it was if you "looked at the engine and there was the blown 5.4"? Sounds like b.s. dude, also what color? Maybe i've seen the same "shelby GT500" although it was a 05 GT vert that I saw on 96. Maybe ya did see it, but I highly doubt the guy driving it would show you what it had under the hood, etc without them wanting any public knowledge of this stuff out yet. Most of those guys who drive those test mules are under strict instructions to try and blend with traffic, not draw attention to themselves.

Blk2000GT

Established Member
killer b said:
How can ya not know what type of supercharger it was if you "looked at the engine and there was the blown 5.4"? Sounds like b.s. dude, also what color? Maybe i've seen the same "shelby GT500" although it was a 05 GT vert that I saw on 96. Maybe ya did see it, but I highly doubt the guy driving it would show you what it had under the hood, etc without them wanting any public knowledge of this stuff out yet. Most of those guys who drive those test mules are under strict instructions to try and blend with traffic, not draw attention to themselves.

The car was silver with a black top. The front and rear facias looked like they were unpainted... flat grey. It had the black hood scoop rivited onto the hood, and was wearing flat black rims (similar to the design on the show car) on the rear, with silver five spoke rims up front. The guy driving it asked me if i wanted to see the engine... and of course I said yes. The reason I cannot identify whether or not it is a whipple, is because I'm not really sure that I've ever seen a whipple. Sorry, I'm clearly not as well educated in the field of superchargers as everyone else on the forum... believe me, I wish I was. But I do know that it did not look like the eaton that came on the lightning or 03-04 cobras. And since I had heard that the GT500 show car had a "twin screw" blower, and this was a topic of a lot of discusion around here, I just asked the guy "hey, is that a twin screw blower" and he said yes. So... MY BAD, the next time I stop a preproduction svt product I'll be sure to ask more questions and take better notes. :rockon:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Calebp said:
I've read that there will be no convertible due to the structure of the vehicle linked with the massive amount of torque not cooperating well.

I dont know about that, a v6 vert is noticeably a huge improvement in rigidity then an 04 mach coupe, you can tell in 2 minutes driving. Its a 300% increase over 04 verts with only being 130lbs heavier then a coupe, and that is with no subbies or even a rear roll bar on a V6. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread