2007-09 versus 2010+ Factory Clutch

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
So my basically stock 2007 GT500 just started exhibiting signs of clutch slip. I've poured over all the article on the flywheel warping and causing synchro failure. I pulled the TSB up on AllData and did the test procedure to see if the synchros are bad and they're not.

That being said my plan is to use the factory clutch as I plan on keeping the car mostly stock as it is. I know there's many here who will say get an aftermarket setup, but I prefer to go OEM on this car. I have read on this and other Shelby forums that the 2010+ clutch design is superior to the 2007 design and to use the 2010+ when installing a factory replacement. I contacted my Ford parts dealer and received prices on the 2007 clutch kit ($1083.79) and the 2010 clutch kit ($545.88).

Those of you who have installed a 2010+ clutch in a 2007-09 car what differences are there? The Ford Parts guy couldn't tell me a difference. The kit includes the clutch and flywheel I'm also going to change the slave cylinder. Those of you with experience with doing this swap and install please provide your input as to what's different and what additional parts (i.e. gaskets, bolts, misc.) I should have on hand, as well as any tips or tricks to make the job easier (i.e. F-body T-56 you unbolt the trans case from the bellhousing and then unbolt the bellhousing from the engine). Thank you in advance for your information and help.

~Brad

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
Well after talking to Ford Performance Tech Support they said the 2010+ clutch swap into the 07-09 cars it a direct bolt-in swap.

Please if you have any additional input post it up, there's never too much information (in this case).

Thanks!

E.Marquez

Established Member
Do a search on how many have replaced the warranted replacement clutch on the 2007-09's .. I'll just tell you it's a lot., like hundreds I’ve read about.

I have new to me 07, with the OEM clutch and 12300 miles, so have been doing a LOT of research on this board plus two others.. The path of success is clear.. and OEM 2-10 clutch is not it.

I’ve chosen SPEC Twin Disk SS trim (that comes as a pressure plate, disk, flywheel set)., plus a new OEM release bearing, and pilot bearing. .

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The 10+ clutch has a much lighter pedal feel compared to the 07-09 version.

07-09 clutch is a twin 9" disc ceramic metallic compound.

10+ clutch is a twin 10" disc organic compound that will not hold as much power/torque as the 07-09 version would.

IMO, if you are going through this trouble, do not waste your time with an OEM replacement. You better take a look at Spec or McLeod RXT.

Last edited:

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
OK there's the RXT and the RST, the RST it a little cheaper and rated for 800hp where the RXT is 1000 hp. I never plan on coming close to either of these numbers in all honesty. So would I be better off going with the RST and saving a little money (I'm trying to keep the cost down)?

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
OK there's the RXT and the RST, the RST it a little cheaper and rated for 800hp where the RXT is 1000 hp. I never plan on coming close to either of these numbers in all honesty. So would I be better off going with the RST and saving a little money (I'm trying to keep the cost down)?
I went with the RST. Haven't regreated it. I think the RST is organic material though, not ceramic. Pedal is much much lighter than OEM 07-09.

I've abused it for 2 seasons, and still kickin.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
If your doing the clutch swap yourself the money you save in labor should cover the difference. I think I understand what your doing. Advice though, if you plan on keeping the car for any amount of time, replace with an aftermarket and never worry about it again.

dvups1

Established Member
replace with an aftermarket and never worry about it again.
Just curious how you can say that? I mean no disrespect, however, has anyone posted long term use of the aftermarket clutches? Do they really last longer? I have no idea myself.

I guess I'll do a search.

If Ford hadn't covered my clutch under the TSB I would have certainly used the McLeod with the heavy flywheel. That is what Lethal Performance recommended for a daily driver so that is what I bought. Luckily, they let me send it back after Ford took car of me.

As for the OP's questions concerning the install and 2010 clutch, I can't comment on the tricks and tips for an easier install since I never actually made it to install my McLeod. When I researched it, it seemed pretty straight forward. I think some people lowered the engine a bit in the rear to angle the transmission and allow for easier access to the top bolts.

I can tell you that the stock 2010+ OEM clutch was a night and day improvement in everyday driving comfort and performance.

If you can get a complete 2010+ OEM cllutch setup for $500-600 I would be interested in getting one for my current 2009. The stock 2009 clutch is fine now (9000 miles) but it wouldn't surprise me if it went out by 30K.

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
My family owns a shop in Port Orange, FL. Gary Yeomans Ford in Daytona Beach gave me the price of $545.xx for a 2010 Shelby GT500 clutch kit which included the flywheel.

I'm planning on driving the car down to FL to do the install, having a rack, tools, and extra help makes it worth the trip and I won't have any labor charges just fuel down and back. The RST looks like a viable option for me along with the steel flywheel.

dvups1:

I see you are on the stock 2010+ clutch. I'd assume our cars are similar power levels how long have you been driving on the updated clutch (years/miles)?

I understand that the general consensus it to buy the bigger part that will take more power and provide room to grow. My concern is that I don't want to buy something that I don't really need. I have no plans on increasing power level over what the car is at right now. Say 610-620 flywheel horsepower is where I am at.

Another possible thought has crossed my mind, I've read about people switching to SPEC 3+ single disks. This clutch is rated to 850lb-ft and from what I've read on the Shelby American site is what they're recommending. Now I don't take a Shelby endorsement as gospel but is anyone here running a single disk and what's your experience? I know some people who have had poor experiences with SPEC, I however in past cars had nothing but positive and they've held up to similar power as to what I'm making now.

Last edited:

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Im running the Spec Twin Disk and love it.
I only replaced the pilot bearing when I did the switch.

dvups1

Established Member
Unfortunately, I only had the 2010+ clutch for a couple of thousand miles so I can only say that I loved the way the clutch felt as far as my daily driving routine was concerned. The pedal was light, it enguaged smoothly from take off (even with my stock rearend gears), and it held the 545 RWHP (I had a CAI, 2.6 upper pulley, and John Lund canned tune).

I sold the car and bought a 2009 GT500KR. It had 6K on it and now has 9K. When it goes out I wil replace it with the best deal I can get on a OEM clutch or the McLeod RXT (which ever is cheaper).

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
Well my Dad made a call to a friend at Ford and there's something in the works to get Ford to replace the clutch and flywheel under warranty.

If this falls through looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Mcloud. The good reviews speak for themselves, just didn't feel like forking out a grand right now for the car.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Well my Dad made a call to a friend at Ford and there's something in the works to get Ford to replace the clutch and flywheel under warranty.

If this falls through looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Mcloud. The good reviews speak for themselves, just didn't feel like forking out a grand right now for the car.

3-4 months ago my stock clutch started slipping on my 07 with 12k on the odemeter. I ended doing just like u r researching and finding the best replacement. I ended up getting the mcloed rxt. I spent nearly $1700 for the clutch kit and install. It's a pricey fix.

phinhead34

Established Member
Damn I dont know how everyone is getting them replaced under warranty. I tried and got told its a wear item, blah, blah, blah. I went with the spec twin disc ss. The clutch is good but a bit noisy.

hedgewizard

I've had the 2010 clutch for a little over a year and about ten thousand miles. It's a much lighter pedal and the engagement feel is night and day different. It feels like everything else you've ever driven with a clutch. I choose it because I have no idea what the McLeod or Spec replacements would feel like in a daily driver but everything you read about the 2010 setup is positive in that respect. If it ever wears out I'll buy something other than Ford, otherwise I'm happy with it.

TexasShelby

Established Member
I have an early 07, at 13K lost the clutch, they did the TSB, replacing clutch, assy and syncros...drove it literally 3 blocks in traffic, it went out again, they replaced the entire tranny, flywheel, clutch this time, $11K warranty. The clutch lasted 15K.
I don't race my car, other than a CAI, Pulley and tune, it's stock. I don't punish the car.
I replaced the flywheel and clutch assy with a McLeod RXT Street Twin Disc. I have 1200 miles on the clutch and love it.
I wanted to keep mine stock and heard all the hype about the new ford clutch....not so in my case. But I did get a nice new tranny out of the deal. But they have stopped doing that from what I hear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread