2006 Explorer Stalling Issues

cobra_matt

Established Member
I wasn't sure where to put this, so if it's in the wrong section please move it mods.

I have an '06 Explorer 4.0 with 25,000 miles. A month ago it stalled while stopped at a red light. I turn it back on with no problems and then gave it no thought after that since the check engine light didn't come on and everything seemed fine.

Three weeks later, it dies again only this time I was driving down the street. When I try to turn it back on, it cranks and cranks and doesn't start. I wait for a few minutes, try it again, and it starts without hesitation. I bring it in to the dealer to get it checked out and they tell me that the throttle body is dirty and is the reason it's stalling. They want $220 to have it cleaned (it costs $110 for them to diagnose the car). I politely tell them that they are out of their minds for wanting $220 to clean a throttle body.

I bring it home, take the throttle body off, and clean it with some throttle body cleaner. There was barely and build up in there by the way.

On Tuesday, it died again while I was driving down the road. Turn it back on, drive about a mile further down the road, and it dies again. I brought it home after that and can't bring it in to get it checked out till tomorrow.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it to stall? I was thinking it might be the fuel pump. But if the fuel pump went bad, wouldn't it not work at all anymore? I just don't want to bring it in and pay another $110 for them to tell me some bullshit and have their solution not do anything. Thanks for any suggestions :beer:. Oh, and there is still no check engine light.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
After it stalls again,and not trying to crank engine to see if its going to start,check schrader valve on fuel supply to see if any pressure is present.If not ,crank engine for 5 sec. and check schrader valve again.If still low pressure its probably in fuel system.

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
MY friend is going through the same thing right now with his rodeo, cant figure it out for shit. wondering weither the fuel filter is clogged right now which is why its dying...

Users who are viewing this thread