2006/7 Cobra R to have the Shelby Cobra V-10?

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
It would seem that the perfect use for that V-10 beyond a Shelby Cobra would be in a Cobra R or Shelby version of the Mustang. What do you guys think would be the chances?

bullitt543

Established Member
I don't think it will happen. I hope i am wrong. If a sc v8 will make the same power, then why go through the expense for any changes to create a v10 mustang. Why wouldn't they put it in the ford gt? but hey.. what the heck do i know.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Its a good point, but why put a V-10 in anything. If they do build the Shelby Cobra then it makes it more viable that a V-10 will show up in a Cobra R.

For some reason, I think that the guys at SVT are going to want to answer the naturally aspirated C6 Z06 with a naturally aspirated Mustang Cobra R. This is based purely on intuition, nothing else. The next Cobra R is going to be a 60-70K Mustang (omfg) according to my unscientific and based in no reality intuition. At that price, almost any engine could show up in it.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Have you heard the V-10 in the Shelby Cobra show car? It has no need to apologize to a V-8.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
My thought is this. The shelby concept utilizes a LOT of the production GT and is quite viable to be produced. All of the loose conversation with shelby on rides alluded to it being a done deal, didn't hear one single "if". Ford made a point to mention that the 4.6/5.4/and V10 readily fit into the new stang. They also spent over two years testing that motor, for what, just ONE show car? I think the mustang gt/mach/svt lines will stay. But the cobra name may go over to a Shelby version(or cobra stays svt and shelby gt ##? comes out). Shelby big-dog mustangs traditionally used similar motors to the AC cars. I think the 4.6 goes out and turns into the lightnings 5.4 3v twin-screw for the SVT. Costs less and makes BIG #'s.

Ford has SO many engines floating around so its hard to guess. I would love to be involved in testing all that shit out at Ford, that all I know for sure.:coolman:

lugnut

Established Member
My $.02...

I think the strongest likelihood stands w/ a special limited production Boss variant (Boss 390??) - intended primarily for fans of the dragstrip. I also see in my crystal ball the return of the old "Drag Pack" option w/ lower gears and a locker rear-end for the 8.8. This all, of course, is in keeping w/ the new retro/heritage theme of product design and marketing and giving the srtip enthusiasts what they have been asking for.

Statements have already been made by folks like Phil Martens, Ford's new car czar, about the intention of SVT to make the '06 Cobra "world-class" and on par w/ the M cars from BMW.

Martens also has an idea of where the next SVT Cobra is headed: “We have to have a Cobra that is world-class level. The old Fox platform couldn’t deliver that; this one can.” Expect a bigger, broader separation between Mustang GTs and SVT Cobras, he says. BMW’s M cars are serving as inspiration; hence, the next Cobra will have to have an independent rear suspension, he says.
Car and Driver article

This means it will continue to have an IRS and it's focus will be the track - not strip. Weight and balance will be extremely important to the execution of such a car - I can't see the V-10 being a good choice for power there.

94RedCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by lugnut

I think the strongest likelihood stands w/ a special limited production Boss variant (Boss 390??) - intended primarily for fans of the dragstrip.

The Boss was built as a car for the likes of SCCA racing. The Mach 1 was built with the emphasis on drag racing.

Weight and balance will be extremely important to the execution of such a car - I can't see the V-10 being a good choice for power there.

That 6.4 litre V-10 is actually supposed to be a pretty light piece of engineering. I see it as a perfect execution for that task.

lugnut

Established Member
Abosutely, without a doubt the Boss 302 made a huge splash in the TransAm series of '69-70. Legends like Parnelli Jones proved that car could perform on the track. I also agree that the 428 CobraJet (in the Mach I) was intended for the strip.

My thinking was that it would be a specialty car along the lines of the Boss 429.

I was concerned about the weight of the V10 - I guess I was thinking about the 6.8L Tritan truck motor. A special all-aluminum engine like the one described in the following article may be light enough to get the job done:

Link to Boss V10

0402mm_boss_02_s.jpg

I have not been able to find any info on what either the Shelby or the EMDO V10 weigh. I, personally, would like to see some numbers and hard data on these engines (wieght, displacement, bore stroke, valvetrain, induction, etc.). Anybody out there find any figures?

Perhaps this engine could be an option. Kind of like the 428CJ of yesteryear. Could there be an upcoming Shelby Mustang (GT 500?)...?

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Based on the 5.0 Mustang article and the Shelby Cobra, I would think it would be a safe bet that a V10 will wind up in the Mustang at some point. What model is anyone's guess. I would think an all aluminum version would wind up in in a road racer type Mustang (a la Boss) to compete with the Corvette Z06. That is what I'd personally like to see...

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I didn't get a chance to see the Shelby Cobra on Rides, so I don't know what that V-10 sounded like, but I DO know that if a V-10 mustang sounds anything like the Viper, I'll pass, thanks.

Also, why are we so interested in making HP NA? Has anyone bothered to check on modification costs to cars like the ZO6? I'd rather have a FI car that makes 500 hp with the ability to crank it up far above 600 after an $80 pulley swap, over a 600hp NA car anyday.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
I thought the V-10 sounded great on Rides.

I am not necessarily debating whether or not it matters if a car is NA or boosted. 600 horsepower is 600 horsepower. At this minute, there is no 600 horsepower V8 boosted or not though we all know that the V-8's certainly have that potential.

Either way, it would be cool...

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Hey, no problem here with a 700hp V8. Just shooting the shit. Fun to think of the possibilities.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Lethalchem, The Code Name Daisy (Shelby Cobra) Rides presentation will be shown again Feb. 22, at 10:00 p.m. and 2-23 at 2:00 a.m. - both times are Eastern.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread