2005 ford focus CEL

98SaleenSnake

Established Member
System too lean bank 1. I'm guessing bank 1 is the intake side not sure tho. Also the car has a k&n intake on it not sure if that would cause a problem or not. What your thought on this fellas?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The filter shouldn't cause any problems as long as its oiled properly. If not, it could get the maf sensor dirty. Have you tried cleaning the maf or checking for vacuum leaks? could be a bad 02 sensor as well. Those are the first things I would check.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Did it come on shortly after installing the K&N filter? I'd be hard pressed merely a CAI would cause it. Clean the MAF, check for vacuum leaks, injectors, EGR issue, PCV valve collpased, DPFE sensor, o2 sensors. Just some things to check.

Keep in mind, once you perform a fix, it might take multiple drive cycles to affect the CEL.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

98SaleenSnake

Established Member
I'm thinking its a vacuum leak since it stalls when I come to a stop but only when the CEL is on with the light off it runs fine. I haven't change the 02s yet. I took to smog and it passed so go figure???

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I am guessing the CEL wasn't on when you took it to the smog station? What code is it exactly?

A lot of the items to check can fail intermittently. vacuum leaks, injectors, EGR, PCV valve, and O2 sensors could all do that.

EDIT: stalling while idling could be an IAC valve issue.

B3NN3TT

08 Bullitt #5389
Established Member
Bank 1 is the only bank on a 4-cylinder. If you get a "bank 2" code you've got SERIOUS problems, LOL.

An IAC problem won't throw a lean code.

90% of the time it's a vacuum leak. PCV valve, intake manifold gasket, vacuum line, brake booster... something post-MAF. That's the most obvious starting point.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Bank 1 is the only bank on a 4-cylinder. If you get a "bank 2" code you've got SERIOUS problems, LOL.

An IAC problem won't throw a lean code.

90% of the time it's a vacuum leak. PCV valve, intake manifold gasket, vacuum line, brake booster... something post-MAF. That's the most obvious starting point.

IAC won't throw a code but could be a separate issue.

98SaleenSnake

Established Member
I bought the car at an auction for 1500 spent another 1500 in parts and paint/bodywork, the cars a thrasher. I was actually surprised it passed smog. The code was P0171

Users who are viewing this thread