2005 CTS-V vs. 2012 Camaro SS

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Since I have had my 05 V I had yet to get the chance to run anything to see where in the food chain she stands.

On saturday that all changed. A work friend of mine has a stock 2012 Camaro SS M6 with about 5000 miles on it. After the company golf Tournament we decided to race my grandpa car against his ss. We went down to mexico and ran from a 30 roll.

We both started in first and I honked it off. Through 1st and second gear I pulled about half a car on him through third he hung right on my bumper when I shifted to fourth (slow shift for me) he jumped a car out in front and I hung right were I was till we shutdown around 140ish.

I was happy that my 4 door family car that is 7 years older kept up so well. Had I made a better shift I may have been able to hold him off.

My mods are K and N CAI and magnaflow catback.

It was a fun race none the less.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Thanks. I really did not know how it would do. I am glad I could run with him knowing what stock ss's run

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Good run! Not surprising since both cars do have similar power and weight. I bet people get surprised when you show them tail lights.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Good run! Not surprising since both cars do have similar power and weight. I bet people get surprised when you show them tail lights.

thanks. He was the first run I have had yet. Most people see it and think grandpa car and look the other way. He and his wife were both shocked it was that close.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Nice run... Vs are dead on par with 4th gens (usually a couple mph higher traps than us though) and I've had numerous close races and a couple of wins against 5th gens when I was stock/near stock. I love those cars... the axles scare the hell out of me but the rest of the car is pure sex.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Nice run... Vs are dead on par with 4th gens (usually a couple mph higher traps than us though) and I've had numerous close races and a couple of wins against 5th gens when I was stock/near stock. I love those cars... the axles scare the hell out of me but the rest of the car is pure sex.

Thanks. He wanted to go from a dig to try out his launch mode thing but I am too afraid to break the glass rearend in my V.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Thanks. He wanted to go from a dig to try out his launch mode thing but I am too afraid to break the glass rearend in my V.

Honestly I think that's where there advantage is despite the weight they have. I see them pulling 12s with the same traps a stock V does all day long.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
We occasionally get great weather here at Cordova...I've seen 109 to 110 as bests out of the V1s here..... a few 5th gen guys have gone 12.7 and 12.8 @ 110 and 109 respectively. They seem to rip out of the hole and have pretty solid 1/8th times to get their ETs.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
We occasionally get great weather here at Cordova...I've seen 109 to 110 as bests out of the V1s here..... a few 5th gen guys have gone 12.7 and 12.8 @ 110 and 109 respectively. They seem to rip out of the hole and have pretty solid 1/8th times to get their ETs.

Nice. It is good to know I can hang with the newer cars. If I take the hit and shutdown after third lol

ArabianOak

Established Member
didn't the first years V's come with the LS6 from the C5Z?

Either way that was a good run. I have YET to be impressed with these new camaros...even the ZL1, the only thing that car wins is the magazine tests!

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Nice. It is good to know I can hang with the newer cars. If I take the hit and shutdown after third lol

I wouldn't think you would struggle up top either. :) If my ls1 powered heap could stick the 160 limiter without much effort your V should be a solid performer up top.

Users who are viewing this thread