2005 aviator motor cooling mod?

wkornf

Established Member
is it true the 2005 DC heads have been updated to resolve all the cooling issues. does this eliminate the need for "head cooling mods". I just bought a 2005 aviator longblock and the heads don't have any coolant pipes at the rear, not even the passenger side Crack pipe found on every other year dohc.

any ideas? should I just leave or alone?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave.O

Established Member
I would do it if the motor is out of the car. Cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

wkornf

Established Member
maybe I'm not seeing it. DC casting is revised for cooling, shouldn't it not require head cooling mod anymore? I have parts from my old heads just not sure they are not detrimental to the DC heads

thanks guys

cj428mach

Established Member
I replaced my drivers side head because of the tick with a brand new DC casting. I installed the head cooling mod just for insurance.

wkornf

Established Member
thanks, I'll likely do the same, just wanted to avoid additional leak paths if it could be avoided. the aviator head doesn't come with anything from the factory on either side.

speedoflife

Established Member
thanks, I'll likely do the same, just wanted to avoid additional leak paths if it could be avoided. the aviator head doesn't come with anything from the factory on either side.

The revisions were to internal cooling passages. They didn’t address the physics of the matter: that coolant is already hot when it gets to those the top of the back of that head and it has nowhere to escape but towards the front. This is how I see it - if you plan on getting into boost often, racing, auto-x, etc. then you should have a cooling mod. If you just putter around and get into boost here and there you’ll probably never have an issue. Heat is the focus here, and it is produced under enduring high revolutions.

Users who are viewing this thread