2005-10 vs 11-12... Which V8 is more durable?

prez1967

Established Member
Looking for a new daily driver.

Of course the "responsible" adult in me wants to spend as little as possible and a 2005-06 car would "do just fine" but the gear head in me would like the 5.0 with more power, brembo brakes, etc.

Would the 5.0 be as durable (given proper maintenance) as the 3V? The price difference between a clean 2012 GT and a Boss would make me lean towards the Boss ultimately but if both are durable, a plain Jane early S197 (or a Shelby GT) could be just as fun on the daily grind.

I'll spend the money on which ever would last longer.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
They are both good engines. The 05-10 3V block is more mod friendly for big HP than the stock Coyote block. There are some stupid good deals on 05-10 mustangs.

prez1967

Established Member
They are both good engines. The 05-10 3V block is more mod friendly for big HP than the stock Coyote block. There are some stupid good deals on 05-10 mustangs.

I appreciate the feedback!

Everytime I try to search on the subject I get drag racing results and the like.

I see very good deals on the 05-09 cars and figure as a daily driver that I can throw some basic mods on, it should be a good enough driver.

I heard something about interiors rattling more on the early S197s but im sure thats hit or miss? Or are they considerably lower quality?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I appreciate the feedback!

Everytime I try to search on the subject I get drag racing results and the like.

I see very good deals on the 05-09 cars and figure as a daily driver that I can throw some basic mods on, it should be a good enough driver.

I heard something about interiors rattling more on the early S197s but im sure thats hit or miss? Or are they considerably lower quality?

There were some small updates on later cars, mainly related to commonality with GT500 production. Mid 08 they went with a better sparkplug design head. That said, if I found a great low mileage 05-07, take it.

prez1967

Established Member
When I picked up my 93 GT, it was hit in the front. Owner claimed the engine was rebuilt about 50K miles prior but no paperwork and the chassis had about 130K on it. Its still running like a champ with over 200K on the clock and not burning a drop of oil, bringing over 20mpg when driven sanely.

I keep seeing early S197 cars with 80-100K miles that look clean selling for under $10K. Its very tempting as it would be fun to freshen up the suspension and brakes and pile the miles on. Would really be tempted if I knew the motors were "bullet proof" like my existing 5.0. I dont abuse my cars but theres no way to tell what a car went through before hand if picked up from a random craigslist ad or corner used car mart.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
When I picked up my 93 GT, it was hit in the front. Owner claimed the engine was rebuilt about 50K miles prior but no paperwork and the chassis had about 130K on it. Its still running like a champ with over 200K on the clock and not burning a drop of oil, bringing over 20mpg when driven sanely.

I keep seeing early S197 cars with 80-100K miles that look clean selling for under $10K. Its very tempting as it would be fun to freshen up the suspension and brakes and pile the miles on. Would really be tempted if I knew the motors were "bullet proof" like my existing 5.0. I dont abuse my cars but theres no way to tell what a car went through before hand if picked up from a random craigslist ad or corner used car mart.

A lot of 3V motors well over 100,000 miles. It would be easy to freshen a rust free example and let her buck.

Users who are viewing this thread