2004 Mach 1 Wins Solo 2 National Championship

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Hi Guys! I know this isn't the Mach 1 forum... but come on... I won last year in the Cobra R... so I wanted to share this years Victory with ya all!!

It was great showing the Mach1 is THE NEW CAR for the CLASS in F-Stock!! I expect to see more of em out there soon!!

I had long wanted to bring the title to the Blue Oval Camp... and this year was a great one! I won BOTH the Pro Solo National Championship, and the Solo 2 National Championship! First time in 15 years for a Mustang to win the Pro Solo Championship, and first time in 16 years for the National Championship!

Anyways... I just wanted to share with my Cobra R family... next year... I have defected to the Bowtie camp... I am going Road Racing... in SCCA T2... and have picked up the car that took 4th last year at the Runoffs! (I will be back though!) ;)

Here is EVERYTHING I had done to the CAR so Any one wanting to race a car in F-Stock can PREP their CAR to the SAME LEVEL!!!

Light weight BOGART Racing wheels... 17 X 8" Stock Offset.
STEEDA 35mm Tubular FRONT SWAY BAR.
XTREME Motorsports BORLA Cat-Back Exhaust
K&N Drop in Replacement Air Filter
STEEDA KONI Double Adjustable Shocks (Stock Valving)
KUMHO V710 SUPER STICKY Tires!
CROW Enterprises Racing Harness (Bolted to Stock seat belt locations)
1/4" Spacer on Front Wheel Hubs only.
SPARE TIRE REMOVED & 1/4 Tank of Gas!

That's IT!!! That is every single thing I had done to the car... oh yeah... and here are my 710 Tire Pressures... 45-47 Front, 30-34 Rear.

As you can see... it is very inexpensive to have a competive Mach 1! A couple other alternatives is you can use the older cobra wheels, or GT wheels... they aren't too heavy... but the Stock Mach1 wheels weigh a TON!

I actually have like 2 sets of 710's left... if you want to get them let me know... one set is BRAND NEW never mounted... you can have em for $650 + Shipping... the other set has 4 runs on them (just heat cycled)... and you can have them for $500 + Shipping... (the brand new ones are almost $850 delivered from Tire Rack).

I also have 1 set of Brand New VictoRacers... Full Tread never mounted... $500 + Shipping takes them.

Thanks again guys!!!

Dave

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Here is a pic too... (If it works)

270.aspx

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Dave,

SIZE=3]CONGRATULATION!!![/SIZE]

You did a fabulous job, putting the Blue Oval in the winners circle.

THAT IS DEDICATION! :rockon: :rockon:

Gene

Cobra-R

Established Member
Congrats Dave!!!!!! We are always happy to hear of our members sucess on the track. Good luck next year, keep us updated on how it's going.

Brian

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Congrats Dave! I guess you got your hands on some 710's and didnt need my set....I had them on the side if you needed them, then I had a wheel develop a slight crack at watkins glen, so I had to quickly heat cycle the 710's and use them the 2nd day....uh oh, bow tie crowd, hope you come to your senses and return to the blue oval ;-) but in either case, good luck! :thumbsup:

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Thanks NJ2000R! I really appreciate it! Yeah... with about 2 weeks notice... I did finally get the sets! ;) Now I have a few for sale if ya need more! ;)

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I saw that ;-) its a great deal....gotta look over my stash and see what I need....the 710's really outlasted my hoosiers, but I didnt feel they were as "grippy" as the hoosiers....interesting air pressures....was that cold? I started up around 42-44 cold then gradually reduced them to around 35 cold, where they grew to about 43-44 hot

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
My pressures are skewed for Auto-x.... I have no camber... and have them pinched...

You should be starting around 32 cold in the front... and shouldn't need over 40PSI hot... (unless you are running less than 2.5 degrees negative camber)... And in the rear you should possibly run about 4psi less than the front. (IMO)

The 710's should really feel A LOT stickier than the Hoosiers Mid Corner... and Corner Exit... Hoosier turns in a bit quicker... which some people like... but they don't have near the cornering grip.

Peace!

Dave

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Congrats Dave!!!!

Please remember us next year when you win T-2 and sell your box tie to buy a Ford again to go AI racing!

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Thanks for the info, I'll try lowering them a little more for next time....

and yeah, what Mark says! :rockon: :burnout: :beer:

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Thanks guys! And yeah... I am only looking towards a one year hiatus... and then back to the Blue Oval camp with an '05 or '06 Mustang for T-2! (And maybe AI also!) ;)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Dave:

Congrats on the Championship!! :beer:

Thanks for bringing the Blue Oval back to the spotlight! Even though it's most likely more driver than car?

Sorry to hear you're defecting but I understand you gotta do what you gotta do!!

Good luck in the future!!

Bruce

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
You know what... I was actually really impressed... I think the 5 link was necessary to overcome the significantly less gripping VictoRacers back in '03 on my ESP Cobra R... But on the 710's... honestly... I felt like my rear was STUCK LIKE CHUCK! I would have never imagined... running NO FUEL... and NO SPARE in an F-STOCK LIVE AXLE CAR! ;)

I was able to USE FULL THROTTLE in 1st GEAR (if ever necessary)... and it couldn't spin em! The 710's really have made the Rear 4 Link a NON-ISSUE!

If I was in ESP... I would have still ran the 5 Link... just due to better geometry... but instead of having to have the Panhard bar all the way down (creating a very soft car)... I would have been able to dial it up!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Originally posted by Dave Schotz
First time in 15 years for a Mustang to win the Pro Solo Championship, and first time in 16 years for the National Championship!

... I am going Road Racing... in SCCA T2... and have picked up the car that took 4th last year at the Runoffs!

Congratulations Dave!! An awesome job in a very competitive class. What's going to happen to the Mach (very nice looking car, btw)? Stock camber; is that a rule in F-stock?

I think everyone would like to hear about the T2 car. What car? Are you doing region events and try for the run-offs? Please keep us up to date next year.

More questions. The Crow harness; do you have a link for it? Does it include a shoulder harness belt hook-up?

I've always heard that Pro Solo involved alot of tech "time". True?

Good Luck next year!:thumbsup:

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Hey Doc!

As for Camber... you can use as much as the Stock Slots will allow... so you can get about 1.75 - 2.00 per side maxed out.

I purchased a Proven car for T-2 (Phil Croyle's '98 Z28, 4th Place last year at the Run-Offs). Yes... My first 'Super School' is next weekend (the 2nd)... and then I have my first Double Regional 2 weeks later. I will have my National License by December... in time for the Snow Bird Double National in Phx, AZ.

The goal is to definitely win my Region/Divisional Championship and go to the Runoff's! ;)

I don't know if I quite understand the 'Tech Time' question for Pro Solo. Really... Pro Solo is no different than a regular Auto-X... the only difference is you are staged at a christmas tree... for a Drag Race Start against your competitor... and then you 'break-off' into mirror image courses... and after your runs you switch sides. Other than that car prep, and impound/tech is all the same.

Thanks guys for the Congrats!!! :beer:

I'll definitely keep sharing! And look for me back in a Mustang in a year or two... I just didn't want to go after a new sport... AND be learning/developing a new car ('05 Mustang).

Peace!

Users who are viewing this thread