2004 IRS swap for 1999 and newer 8.8 solid axle, WI area

hitman#1

The Harbinger Of Doom...
Established Member
Looking to swap the IRS from my 2004 Cobra (19,000 miles) for a 1999 and newer Mustang 8.8 solid axle, preferably from a fairly local individual. (I live in the Southeastern WI area) My IRS is great, no noises or clunking. I'm never going to road-race this thing, so I'd rather have the solid axle to rely on when I go turbo next year. There will also be a Magnaflow Catback that goes with the IRS, as I will have no use for it once I have a solid axle.

What'ya got?

Last edited:

hitman#1

The Harbinger Of Doom...
Established Member
no_slow_svt said:
is your rear all stock?

Yeah. I bought the Kenny Brown solid front IRS bushings and heavy duty front torque brace for it (never installed) and I was going to go with a Billetflow IRS brace next, but I just decided I want to hop off of the IRS train all together. For the kind of racing I want to do (mostly drags) it just doesn't make sense for me to spend the needed dollars to get an IRS ready to handle 800+ rwhp. The engine is near stock right now, but that is going to be changing soon, and I'd rather swap now rather than risk breaking it after I bump the power up.

EDIT:Also, there will be a Magnaflow Catback that comes with the IRS. It won't fit with a solid axle. I forgot to list it. The original post has been edited accordingly.

Last edited:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
If i were you i would get some nice tires for the track and give the irs a chance. you may not want to ditch it so fast
ive had 3 different rears in my car and one of them was an 03 4:10 geared irs.
that launched like crazy with a set of et streets.
are you going to great lakes anytime soon?
if you want we can meet up there some day and if you want to make a run or two with my tires you may not want to swap to a solid.

I was cutting 1.72 short times with 289 rwhp. with no wheel hop with the et streets.

J

hitman#1

The Harbinger Of Doom...
Established Member
Are you familiar with Marv, out at C&M performance in Richfield? He's the one that told me that with the kind of power I want to to make and the type of racing I want to do, there's no way to keep an IRS from being a maintenance intensive piece.

While I appreciate the offer, I'd just as soon swap this now, rather than beat the shit out of the IRS and then decide to get rid of it anyway. It's healthy and in salable condition now.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
yeah i have many of dyno hours and trouble shooting with marv.

he is really the only one in this area messing with our cars.
and he has alot going on all the time.

do you plan on going Twin turbo for 800 hp?

I have swapped to a solid and i have yet to get a 1.7 60' time.
but i think it has alot to do with my spring set up. but. i was thinking hell if im pulling 1.7's with IRS then i should be in the 1.6's for sure with my new set up.
its not like im going to the track every weekend but the solid axle probably has 6 runs on it so far.
next time i go i will be doing some tweaking, in hopes of much better times.
if your rear was built i would have considered it, with you being so close and all. but ill just do some more tweaking with the solid for now.

J

Users who are viewing this thread