2004 Cobra w/mods Vs. R34 Skyline w/mods

Packy

FBGM
Established Member
So I hung out with the Skyline crew again today and got a few runs in with an R34. The other R32 from last time has spun a rod bearing so he could not play again. The R34 here is no slouch! I got him once but he pulled me by a half a car two other times that my camera man didn't get... Seriously, the cameraman is a Skyline guy and he managed to get the one where he pulls me in third and I pull him in fourth which is bizarre! Then the other two runs where he pulled a half a car and held it through both gears he missed. I don't know what is really done to this one but it has a fully forged and built motor, aftermarket turbos and all of the supporting mods... I am not sure which kind of turbo's they told me but I forgot. We both had a passenger. I had a man and he had his wife. I will also enclose a few pics for you to see their shop and how serious they are into these things! Good times!

Vid: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex5-bvwVKE0"]YouTube - 2004 Cobra vs R34 Skyline[/ame]

Video from the rear in the white Skyline...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOZudPJGCnY"]YouTube - Pro Import Skyline R34 vs Cobra A4[/ame]

R34:
qoapt0.jpg

2wezyvo.jpg

jqmh7b.jpg

R32:
fu7yug.jpg

28a49i8.jpg

2147amd.jpg

Shop car:
72axs9.jpg

2eev1nc.jpg

Others:
21o4ljp.jpg

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Very cool!

I use to love R34 GTR's! They are badass! Love the look of the car you raced.

The fact that a stock longblock Whipplecharged Cobra can hang with a built GTR says alot about it IMO.

Packy

FBGM
Established Member
Yeah it was a good day for a few races. Although there was a lot of traffic. We could only get a few runs in. Lotsa fun!

Packy

FBGM
Established Member
Video from the rear in the white Skyline...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOZudPJGCnY"]YouTube - Pro Import Skyline R34 vs Cobra A4[/ame]

exdeath

Established Member
R34 is probably the only car I would trade my Terminator for in a heart beat. I mean, I can always get another Terminator.

Are you sure you guys were racing? I didn't hear either car go WOT at all.

Last edited:

Packy

FBGM
Established Member
R34 is probably the only car I would trade my Terminator for in a heart beat. I mean, I can always get another Terminator.

Are you sure you guys were racing? I didn't hear either car go WOT at all.

Positive we were racing. The camera used from my car was a handheld picture camera that can do video as well but the sound quality sucks. Watch the video from the rear and you tell it better. I have never seen those cars at all until I moved here. Now I see them every week like 30 of them! All nice and very fast cars! Those cats are really cool to hang out with too! They absolutely love it when we go through the tunnels here and I go WOT! It sounds focking wicked!

exdeath

Established Member
Positive we were racing. The camera used from my car was a handheld picture camera that can do video as well but the sound quality sucks. Watch the video from the rear and you tell it better. I have never seen those cars at all until I moved here. Now I see them every week like 30 of them! All nice and very fast cars! Those cats are really cool to hang out with too! They absolutely love it when we go through the tunnels here and I go WOT! It sounds focking wicked!

Is there a place they are getting so many of them, or do they each individually import them and have them titled and all that on their own?

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
That is awesome!! Good to see people out there enjoying themselves in a couple fast cars. I have only had the chance to run against a stock R34 (still right hand drive, which is rare here in the US). It was pretty neat, albeit a slaughter in my favor, but it was cool just to see a real one as it came from Japan. That car was light years before it's time, I only wish they were not so incredibly hard to come by.

The Skyline has always been one of my favorite Japanese cars, and while every tool in a 240 seems to think their R34 body kits make them Paul Walker here in Tampa, I have absolute respect for the potential those cars have.

All Wheel Drive, Turbos, high RPM 6 cyl = Yes, Yes, Yes

I would take one over a Supra and it's 75mph high way rolls anyday. I would love to line up next to a similar skyline and then take a ride in it. I bet the feeling of leaving off a 2 step with 20psi of boost must be orgasmic to say the least.

Question though OP, Where did that guy get those filters? That's not the first time I've seen a European performance car have what looks like a foam based filter. Is that just my eyes failing me, or are those actually foam screened filters?

Packy

FBGM
Established Member
That is awesome!! Good to see people out there enjoying themselves in a couple fast cars. I have only had the chance to run against a stock R34 (still right hand drive, which is rare here in the US). It was pretty neat, albeit a slaughter in my favor, but it was cool just to see a real one as it came from Japan. That car was light years before it's time, I only wish they were not so incredibly hard to come by.

The Skyline has always been one of my favorite Japanese cars, and while every tool in a 240 seems to think their R34 body kits make them Paul Walker here in Tampa, I have absolute respect for the potential those cars have.

All Wheel Drive, Turbos, high RPM 6 cyl = Yes, Yes, Yes

I would take one over a Supra and it's 75mph high way rolls anyday. I would love to line up next to a similar skyline and then take a ride in it. I bet the feeling of leaving off a 2 step with 20psi of boost must be orgasmic to say the least.

Question though OP, Where did that guy get those filters? That's not the first time I've seen a European performance car have what looks like a foam based filter. Is that just my eyes failing me, or are those actually foam screened filters?

Yeah I hear you! I have only ever seen one of them in the US. I am from Melbourne, FL originally and to see all of these here it really amazes me! I have yet to ride in one but the owner of that shop is really cool and said he will take me for a ride in their shop car once it is back together. They autoX it here on the local circuit and have not been beat in it for like 3 years. Their driver was the original guy I raced in the R32 a month or so ago.

As far as importing them they do it individually and have been doing it for the last 5-6 years as I understood from the owner of the shop. He has been to the US for EFI University classes and trust me he really knows his shit when comes to tuning. He is mainly a Halltech dealer but the guy has all kinds of knowledge. It is awesome to talk to him and see all of the cars he has athis shop. Skylines are nice cars and yes light years ahead of their time!

Yes those are foam screened filters! I couldn't really understand it but they say that they really work well. I dunno... The owner actually gets most of his parts from Japan. :beer:

Packy

FBGM
Established Member
Is there a place they are getting so many of them, or do they each individually import them and have them titled and all that on their own?

I beleive they import them individually from Japan. However it is easier to bring them into Europe rather the US. I have also heard that they are being siezed in the US for improper import procedures... Just what I heard from a buddy in Miami.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
I beleive they import them individually from Japan. However it is easier to bring them into Europe rather the US. I have also heard that they are being siezed in the US for improper import procedures... Just what I heard from a buddy in Miami.

This is true, there used to be a company that specialized in importing them and converting them for legal road use in the United States.

Unfortunately with new rules the DOT has put into place, I don't believe it is possible for the importers to meet all the standards. I don't have the exact law in hand, but I know a few people who have expressed interest in owning an imported Skyline and have been unable due to imports completely ceasing to take place.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
That video will get a ton of views on youtube, cant say you raced a skyline everyday.

FastLS6speed

Established Member
Those cars are nasssty fast! I have only seen 1 imported skyline in my life and it was when I wasnt in my car(i was sad).

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Awesome vid/pics, thanks for sharing!!

There is just something about those R34's that demand respect. Nissan did an amazing job on that car. They have reached legendary status witht the import guys and are very respected by most other enthusiasts as well. It sucks that it is next to impossible to attain one unless you have a massive bank account. Oh well......I guess a Supra could do :) Big fan of those also.

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
Way cool. Do those guys try calling you out all the time since you are the minority with a stout American muscle car:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread