2004 4.6 F150 stalling issues

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Buddy was driving home and the truck lost all power and died. Pulled over and the truck will 100% crank everytime..just dies as soon as you pull it into drive or give it gas. Had it towed. It as 120k miles or so on it. He did a fuel pump, fuel filter and a fuel pressure control module. Codes at the time were referencing a fuel pressure issue.

He did the pump and everything else. Still does the exact same thing. The new parts did get him to work the other day and it died on the way home and had to be towed.

Any help?

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
When i asked he said he had cleared them but they were low fuel pressure related. No codes are coming up now. Just sent him a text asking about idle.

edit: idles normal. No codes. Revs in neutral just fine. Pull into gear and it dies.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
need the specific codes to help you out ...

the 4.6 is known for ****ed up COPs.....that could very well be the issue

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
sadly it isnt throwing any and still doing it. He said all were fuel related and did the typical recommendations of pump, etc.

Is it normal for a coil pack to not throw a code when bad?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
IIRC, the FPDM is grounded through the PCM. Im guessing that may have some part in it. I had one sometime back that was an 04-05 model, 5.4 but with the same issues. Ended up diagnosing it as a bad ground through the PCM. FPDM would shut down causing the truck to die. Only happened in gear with a load on the motor.

Check the EVTM as it will tell you where the ground pin is located. From there you need to figure if its a 12v ground or 5v reference signal to ground. From there, test the wire to ground and see if the truck runs. If the truck runs fine then its PCM related. If not, then you more than likely have wiring issues.

Ill see if i can dig up the EVTM. I have a bunch laying around from my tech days.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Looking online it seems the FPDM is a common issues as its placement causes it to be exposed to the elements.

Would a PCM issue make it die under load only and NOT through a code?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Your friend needs to find the EVTM and do the actual test procedure. Throwing parts at it will do nothing but waste money.

mikecobra01

Established Member
Disregarding the codes that were present, I would check for a vacuum leak, check the IAC motor and the EGR valve sticking also. They could all cause a stalling issue.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
My sisters 4.6 explorer did this right at about the same miles. Only code it would give was for the throttle body. Replaced that and it didn't fix the problem. Turns out her cats were clogged so bad the car would die once a load was placed on it. May not be his problem but pretty easy to discount the Y pipe from the manifolds and see if the problem stops.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Thanks for the ideas guys. I am going over to see the truck in person tonight.

A quick google search didn't pop up ant EVTMs for that particular truck. Just ford in general (found it on ranger forums). Are EVTMs by model or just an overall guide?

Its also a new model/style 2004.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Without being able to check any PIDs the FIRST thing that MUST be done is clean the throttle body.

Users who are viewing this thread