2004 & 2005 COBRA???

VENOM650R

Established Member
Hi Guys, as you may know from my first post a couple of days ago I'm in the process of buying a '03 COBRA as a daily driver. I spoke to a dealer tonight and he told me that there is not going to be a COBRA in '04 or '05. I know the next Gen Mustang is due in '05 and that sometimes the performance versions ( COBRAS ) take an additional year, however, I also know that dealers don't always know what they are talking about....LOL! Anyway, I was surprised he said no '04 COBRA too. Anybody know for sure? Also, I've been reading many of the problem threads to learn more about the COBRA and I'm a little concerned...TOB, PULL RIGHT, LOOSE SUSPENSION BOLTS, PAINT, VIBRATION > 80 MPH, ENGINE TICK, CLUNK, etc.. My question is if you had it to do over would you get a COBRA? I'm approved and ready to pick up a Black 10th Anniv. Coupe manufactured 6/03 with 18 miles on it. Since it is a late model year build should these problems have been taken care of due to in line production/sourcing changes as a result of the problems being reported? I've read some posts from owners with cars built after 11/1/02 which I understand is end date for the heads/tick TSB and they say they have the tick with the new heads (blue)??? I really like the COBRA and want to get it. Any feedback/opinions appreciated. BTW, my impression is that you have a GREAT club here! :beer:

maoun

Established Member
there will be an 04 cobra...just like the 03s

05 will be the new bodystyle, but no cobra

cobra will come back in new bodystyle in 06

m.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Venom,

Would get it and enjoy it, as long as you got a good price.

Most people have no significant problems with later production cars, except for some TOB problems and clunk (which is "normal"). Other problems are sporadic or from really pushing the car (halfshafts, burnt out clutches).

Dealer is blowing smoke re 2004-- there definitely will be 2004 Cobras, production scheduled for next month.

There will be no 2005 Cobra. Might be a 2006 Cobra.

Why wait until then?

coleman

Established Member
VENOM650R, get one! ... i'd love to have another area member for our little GTGs :beer:

i'll even help you pick out the color :)
mine's a daily driver as well, but i don't have a viper for weekends :cryying: ... but i don't need one :lol1:

VENOM650R

Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
there will be an 04 cobra...just like the 03s

05 will be the new bodystyle, but no cobra

cobra will come back in new bodystyle in 06

m.
***Sorry, meant to quote the next post...duh!***
Sticker is $36,560 is $32,500 a good price inclusive of the $1,500 Ford rebate or should I hammer :bash: down further? Thanks.

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Decent, near invoice, but sounds like the dealer is anxious to sell given he made up story about no 2004 Cobra. Some people are getting a little more off.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
If you wait a couple weeks the '04s will be here and '03s will sell for even less than they are now. I bet the dealer will come down more. As stated above, he is nervous about a sale if he's trying to bs you about the '04s. Regardless of what you pay, the cars are wonderful. I've had a few problems but still love mine. :)

CGoeschel

Established Member
If you continue to wait, that '03 10th anniv. will be gone. Take a good deal while it's offered to you. The price is right at or barely above invoice.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
Originally posted by VENOM650R
My question is if you had it to do over would you get a COBRA?

ABSOLUTELY - without hesitation !!! Keep in mind that this site is weighted towards problem solving....that is why so many problems find there way here. That can give a distorted impression of the whole Cobra population.

No car is perfect...even Farrari dealers have service bays.
:beer:

VENOM650R

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm picking the COBRA up tomorrow a.m.. I've always liked Mustangs ever since I drove a 5.0 GT several years ago. As far as I'm concerned it gives the best bang for the buck. Don't take this the wrong way but I'm very excited about getting this car even though I have a 675 HP Venom sitting in my garage. I want to do some minor mods on the COBRA....CAI and catback. What are the best ones from a performance standpoint? K&N or Anderson or others, Borla or Bassani or others...I've had a Borla on my Viper before I had it replaced with Hennessey mods, not familiar with Bassani....which sounds best and has best looking tips? Do they come with an x-pipe or is that a seperate mod? Does the COBRA already have a H-pipe? If so, is it in front or behind the cats? Does an x-pipe mod yield any performance or quality exhaust sounds? Also want to join the CLUB. Is there a local chapter in DFW area? Who do I contact? Looking forward to some COBRA fun!:burnout: :thumbsup: I'll post my newbie impressions and pics ( once I figure out how on this Board ) next week!

Last edited:

RedTerminator

Established Member
FWIW, I love my Magnaflow cat-back system. I also use a densecharger CAI, works great for me. The Steeda CAI seems to be real popular also. Buy the Cobra now by the way, you'll never see a better deal in my opinion.

JettRink

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
venom, i'm with you. i was one signature away from buyin an sonic blue '03 w/chromes, most beautiful car i've ever had the opportunity to buy. i was approved on the best tier, to finance 35k, plus my trade-in, but i didn't think i was getting a good deal, and so i came home, joined the site and started learning more. now im thankful that i didnt buy the car that day, because i read all these horror stories, it seems like everyday somebody has a new complaint or some serious problem arises. now i know a lot of these guys are pu$$ies and whine about the dumbest things, but nonetheless, valvetrain, all that is SERIOUS stuff. i want an '03 cobra more than anything right now, but im so concerned with signing on another deal for another four years, after two flawless years with my SS that treated me so well, i beat the living hell out of the thing when i got it and it came back for me. no problems, EVER. i love the reliability of GM, but i gotta admit, im a huge sucker for the new '03. case in point the biggest dilemma in my situation is the volume of issues owners are having. these are NOT cheap cars, and i'm not wealthy like most people on here, i just have a good credit background, i make enough money to get payments done, and i live for American sports cars.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Come over to Speedworks in Lewisville this Saturday and you should be able to hear several different exhaust systems.

<click here>

-Brian

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
2005 Mustang GT which will be available in Oct 2004 will be running 400 hp with a supercharged engine. Lead you to believe that the 2006 Cobra which should be available Oct 2005 should be upwards at the 500 hp or more level if the GT will be running 400 hp.

But if it was me, I wouldn't care to wait a year on them. Is your deal on an 03 Cobra isn't set on a contract, I would encourage you to negotiate agressively on sales price. They should be marking down well below MSRP since 2004 models are on the street now. If the dealer isn't working a good price, walk away.
I laughed when I saw a dealer selling a used 03 Cobra with 12K miles and asking $31k.

Doug Stanley Ford in Desoto has many 03 Cobra's on the lot and would work some favorable discounts for you. Bankston Ford has quite a few 03 Cobra's but your be better off dealing with a dealer that is stronger with performance cars, and the GSM at DSF is running a modifed 03 Cobra to display their support.

Looking forward to meeting up with you in our DFW lunch GTG sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread