2003 SVT Lightning Mysterious Coolant Leak?

Andy_C

Hi Everyone,

I am considering buying a 2003 SVT Lightning. I had my mechanic go through it and everything checks out except that it mysteriously looses coolant.

He put almost a gallon in the reservoir tank right when he first started going over the truck. There was a tiny bit of coolant pooled up in a little recess area on where the tank is bolted to the body. He determined this could either be from where someone at the dealership spilled a bit when topping it off or from the radiator cap leaking a bit and loosing pressure.

He wiped up everything from outside the tank and the little pool of coolant in the recess. He drove it aggressively for about 30 minutes. When he got back to the shop the coolant level in the tank had gone down by 1/2". There wasn't any evidence of the radiator cap leaking and there wasn't any coolant in the little recess area like there was before. The drop in level could be just from settling the air bubbles out of the system after refilling it.

He told me to drive it home and "have fun with it" and to make sure the engine saw plenty of load (yea right, like he really had to tell me that). He said to then check the level when I got home. He made a little mark where the level was with a sharpie. When I got home (about an hour drive, split evenly between interstate and surface streets) I checked the level. It had gone down by about 1/4" and the little pool in the recess area on the outside of the tank was back. It was also kind of sticky on the outside of the tank under the cap.

There is zero evidence of any leaks. No pooling under the truck, checked the valley under the lower intake manifold, checked the heater core and looked for wet carpet inside the cab (none). There is ZERO trace of the sickly sweet smell you get from coolant in the exhaust or anywhere else for that matter. Still, the coolant is going somewhere.

This truck has 55,000 miles and some good mods. It pegs the factory boost gauge easily. No aftermarket gauge so there is no easy way to know how much boost it is running right now. It runs AMAZINGLY well and is STRONG. I am wondering if there is any way that the high boost pressure could be blowing back into the cooling system and over-pressurizing it.

I am going to try replacing the radiator cap and driving it some more to see if that fixes it.

Do you guys have any other ideas? My primary concern is that there is some small problem right now, maybe a tiny little leak in a head somewhere that is allowing engine pressures to reach the cooling system. Or very early indications of a blown head gasket (is that even possible?).

Naturally, the dealer is pressuring me. They have "someone else" that is interested in the truck who is willing to pay more (big surprise there) and they don't want to "loose out on a sale".

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions. I'm really hoping that you guys will have some insight for possible internal engine problems, the big money repair kind of things. I have tried searching Google and I see that there is a crossover pipe problem. I think that is on the older models though and there would be ponding on top of the block. So enough rambling, thanks for the help.

04RedApple

Established Member
Have you checked the oil dipstick to see if the water is getting into the oil, i.e. blown headgasket, lifted a head, etc.?

If it is not leaking on the ground, not in the oil, then it could be a leak on the bottom of reservior tank and the wind from engine and driving is blowing it away!!!

Issue here is...to much volume being lost to not show up on ground or blow-back on bottom of truck, which kinda indicates it's going to be in the oil pan!!!

Andy_C

Thanks for the reply. I did check the oil, everything is good there. I guess that would have been a good detail to include!

George C

Established Member
if you lifted a head, coolant wouldnt always mix with oil. it will have drip marks down the side of the block

Andy_C

Update:
I replaced the radiator cap, and I do think the old one was leaking a bit, but the truck still eats coolant. So at this point, I am about 99% sure this truck has a blown head gasket. It has white smoke coming out of the exhaust. There is a grey ring of sludge around the inside of the oil filler cap that is about the consistency of a milkshake. It mysteriously loses coolant. It also threw a check engine light of P0316 and P0304 yesterday which apparently is misfire on startup and misfire on cylinder 4. These are classic signs of a blown head gasket. I have not had anyone perform the test where they have the chemical that changes color if exhaust gasses are present in the engine coolant. I don't think there is any need for it.
So, let this be a warning for anyone in Atlanta, Ga that is looking at a silver 2003 F150 Lightning with about 55,000 miles on it.
That being said, I am not a mechanic and I am not an expert. Just a guy trying to have a fun truck and not get screwed by a dealership. I would also like to help keep anyone else from being screwed. It could very well be a simple fix that is beyond my ability to identify. However, the truck is going back today so buyer beware!

George C

Established Member
kinda hard to blow a MLS gaskets but its very possible that the truck at one time lifted the head. which means the TTY bolts stretched

Users who are viewing this thread