2003 NFL thread. Predictions? Analysis?

OverToad

Established Member
I'm starting this from the Emmitt Smith thread.

Obviously, I dig this shit way too much ;-)

I'm about as hardcore a pro football fan as there is. I spend WAY too much time sorting through draft day materials, and helping various friends with their fantasy teams. I've never fielded a fantasy team, but last season I did make $250 over the course of the season giving advice. Now that ain't squat for money, but sitting in front of someone elses 50" screen, eating free wings, and makin' gas money sure does make Sunday's even more enjoyable

Stewart is a gifted athlete who just isn't suited to play QB in this league. He had one magical year, but isn't an accurate enough passer, or a good enough decision maker, to take a team to the next level. Keep in mind that he had the same coach and system for several years, and still couldn't put it together for 16 consecutive games.
Whoever throws a big money contract at him will not only get hamstrung by the cap, but will still be looking for a QB. Remember, you heard it here first

Parcell's obviously didn't want Smith back, or his loud mouth would have said so. However, this was strictly Jones' call, and while I hate to see it happen to, statistically, the most productive runner of all time, business is business. They players pushed for free agency. The players union blew it when they agreed to this setup, and while players just like Emmitt got paid huge contracts in their salad days, they have to pay the piper when they are old.
He had to go so the team could move forward. Sad thing to see, but a move that needed to be done.
Houston is possible, but just like any other expansion teams' offensive line, they positively sucked! Emmitt had to deal with that last season, and you can be sure he doesn't want to do that again. For me, this rules the Texans out. They need to draft and develope players, so signing Emmitt doesn't make a helluva lota sense. One more thing. Emmitt wants 20k yards. That's the only reason he's still playing. He's got his rings, and his bust ready for Canton. Look for him to sign on a bad team where he'll get the carries, instead of a good team as a backup.
This sure does sound like Carolina to me. Smith in Pittsburgh? Pfftt! They have their guy in Zerowe, and will most likely draft one in the second or third round to take the load off of him since he's unproven as a 300-carry back.

The Broncos are on the hook for Davis' contract no matter if he played again or not. This restructuring just gives them flexibility under the cap. That's all the move was. The odds of Davis playing again are slim. His injuries are of the arthritic kind, so rest and/or surgeries generally make little (ie: no) difference.

One comment about the Jones/Parcells marriage. It'll last, no doubt about it. Parcells will be the Dallas coach as long as he wants to be.
Jones knew his team was in transition after their glory days in the early/mid 90's. He became power hungry, and thought he could do it all his own way. He stuck a puppet in there and pulled the strings. It didn't work, and he's smart enough to realize he needs a MAN in there to do the job. Who better than Parcells? Before people keep on about how their ego's will get in the way, just remember he got a ring with Jimmy Johnson, and got a ring with that bufoon Switzer. He can get a ring with Parcells, who'll get the right people in place, and get the most out of them. (ps: yeah, I'm in Texas, but I despise the Cowboys.)

While we're talkin' shop, how about some juicy rumor mill stuff?

Plummer to the Bronco's is a given.

I don't believe Stewart to the Bears is the move. Stewart wants a starting job, but I really don't think he'll get one. As teams really REALLY break down his game films, they'll see that he's an athlete playing QB, not an athletic quarterback. He's headed to clipboardsVille, which is where he'll spend the rest of his days.

What I think you'll see is Griese ending up in Chicago as a "now" player, with one of the young guns toating the clipboard for a few years. Chicago, at 4-12, picks high, so they'll have their choice of the "other" quarterbacks besides Palmer. He's in Cincy, that's no secret (poor ****in' kid, lol!)
Detroit allready has their QB, so they'll go Charles Rogers as the local guy. Personally, I think Andra Johnson in Miami is gonna be higher on most teams board by the time the draft hits, but when in doubt, take the local kid.

There's two stud linemen in this first round, and if Houston was smart, they'd take one of'em. Of course, if they'd rather pay Carr to sit in a hospital bed, then can go for something else...........

Dallas is next. They desperately need a running back, but there aren't any worthy of a top 15 pick. Look for Dallas to do as they have always done and trade down. Some team is gonna lick their chops trying to get Andra Johnson or the CB out of Kansas St. (Can't remember his name to save my life), and Dallas, for the right price, is willing to dance. I really don't see Dallas drafting a QB. They'll bring in a veteran for the now, and hope Hutchinson developes.

From here, my crystal ball is getting fuzzy

One more thing to mention. People have been down on Chris Simms forever. I happen to think that there are at least two teams that'd take him in the middle of the first round.......if he even lasts that long. He couldn't win the big game, but has everything else that scouts are looking for, including being a good kid. He'll go before that big lummox Ragone, who, IMHO, won't last 3 years in the NFL.

Efi-Street

Established Member
I'm just excited to see how Mike Vick develops for my Falcons this year. After a 10 year absence from the Atlanta area, my wife and I have season tickets!!! I know you guys are excited for me. :beer:

fryingricecobra

Crappyservice=Nocustomers
Established Member
GO PATS!!! And yes I was a fan BEFORE they won the Superbowl.
I am torn now though since they traded Bledsoe to the Bills. I have always hated them and now my favorite QB from my favorite team plays for them. YUCK

I don't see Emmitt getting 20K. It will take him 3 seasons at least to get there depending on who he goes to. We all saw a few years ago that he can't run without an O-line. Unlike the man that should be at the top...Barry Sanders.

Last edited:

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
They desperately need a running back, but there aren't any worthy of a top 15 pick. Look for Dallas to do as they have always done and trade down

Do you think that they don't think Hambrick is up to snuff? Or are you talking about they need depth a running back.

I think that the Rams are going to be a force to be recon with again this season. I think that dumping of their full back James Hodgins was not smart but they probably had to do it to keep Warner, which I am one of the few that thinks that this was a smart move because then Martz can go back to that offense that noone has figured out how to stop with a healthy Warner. They will probably use their first couple of picks to get offensive linemen because they are really hurting there. Wide reciever troy edwards should have a breakout year as a final replacement for Az-Hakim in the third slot. As long as Tommy polley is in there, linebacking should be mediocre to good. They did get rid of aneas williams, but they have some really good young secondary guys that got alot of experience last year and are ready to do the job! Even though these defensive areas won't be the best, it won't matter because their defensive line is going to be one of the best with a rotation of lenard little, grant wistrom, and ryan pickett, all three of these guys although two of them being kinda small are just as good as the elite ends and tackles in the league.

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Originally posted by Sailing2Smth
ok thats too much for me to read........
GO TAMPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer: :beer: :beer:
:lol: ROFL!

I've been a Dolphins fan since I was a kid and, well, some thing's never change. :) OT, I agree w/ ya' about Simms.

OverToad

Established Member
Do you think that they don't think Hambrick is up to snuff? Or are you talking about they need depth a running back.

Releasing Emmitt wasn't so much a vote for confidence with Hambrick as it was a desire to move on. With Smith still on the roster, he'd have just been a distraction.
Hambrick shows flashes, but there are questions about his character and volatility. Those are things that Parcells does NOT like. Curtis Martin......O.J. Anderson.......Maurice Carthon........these are character guys that can be relied upon. Parcells isn't sure of Hambrick, and the other guys on the roster are just spot-duty guys. That's a big risk for an owner and a coach who want to get to the Super Bowl.

I think that the Rams are going to be a force to be recon with again this season. I think that dumping of their full back James Hodgins was not smart but they probably had to do it to keep Warner, which I am one of the few that thinks that this was a smart move because then Martz can go back to that offense that noone has figured out how to stop with a healthy Warner. They will probably use their first couple of picks to get offensive linemen because they are really hurting there. Wide reciever troy edwards should have a breakout year as a final replacement for Az-Hakim in the third slot. As long as Tommy polley is in there, linebacking should be mediocre to good. They did get rid of aneas williams, but they have some really good young secondary guys that got alot of experience last year and are ready to do the job!

Warner lost some of his choir boy image when he lied about his injuries. Whether or not he is his old self will determine if the Rams are again a force. Bulger did an awesome job (who saw him coming? :shrug: ), but he's frail, and won't last an entire season in that kind of throw-it-50-times system. If Warner is right, the Rams will be right. If not, all bets are off.
The Rams let A. Williams walk (Though if he doesn't retire, he might re-sign). McCleon isn't a starter, and while he can do alot of things, Dre Bly isn't a star. They are mediocre corners at best, and if the Rams don't do some singing, that position will be abysmal. Beyond that, they have speed and skill all over the place :thumbsup:

I've been a Dolphins fan since I was a kid and, well, some thing's never change. OT, I agree w/ ya' about Simms.

My best bud is a die-hard Phish-fan, so I've had to endure alot of exposure to the 'fins. The Ricky Williams trade looked awesome.....until they (again) fell apart in December and missed the playoffs. Now they have no first rounder and no receivers. Chambers will end up being pretty good, but beyond that, it's trouble. We're still not convinced Fiedler is the man. Miami better spend early and often in free agency to try and win it all next year. Their stars are all getting older, and with no real draft picks to speak of, times are gonna be hard in 4 years. Sorry man :cryying:

I don't see Emmitt getting 20K. It will take him 3 seasons at least to get there depending on who he goes to. We all saw a few years ago that he can't ran without an O-line. Unlike the man that should be at the top...Barry Sanders.

Couldn't have said it better myself :thumbsup:
Barry would have shattered every record......and still be playing. It's too bad he lost his desire to play. Damn Jim Brown for laying the groundwork of players leaving on top of their game. ;-)

Da Bears..........

Enjoy the tailgating. After that, it's nothing but losses and pepto ;-)

What'sya think? Tim Couch or Kelly Holcomb? I'm from Cleveland. I grew up a diehard Bernie Kosar fan. Even in the heated Browns/Steelers rivalry, the Steelers always had nothing but props for Bernie. I remember Carnell Lake once saying "You always have to be on your game around ol' Bernie. Nobody ever played cat and mouse better than him. He's a Brown, but we love the guy." While slower than time, Kosar was the headiest QB I've ever seen, and made the smart decision as well as any QB did. He also was a standup guy, and never complained when, game after game, he'd get leveled playing behind some of the shittiest O-lines to ever don a uniform.
Couch is a baby and a whiner, and if I could, I'd ship him out via Priority mail to whomever would take him ;-) Holcomb showed what he could do when he played, but then again, teams are starved to just have one good QB in this league (You listening Chicago?), so having two quallity guys is a good problem to have ;-)

And one last thing. Yeah, it's a lot to read, but if it's TOO MUCH for you to read, then you aren't a die-hard football fan ;-)

OverToad

Established Member
:lol: :lol:

Goodbye JJ Stokes, hello............?

I think Curtis Conway would be an awesome pickup for them. That'd put Streets as the third guy, and he proved he could play last year. :beer:

And just so you know, I dig Erickson as a coach :thumbsup:

I really think he'll shine.

zzzzzer

Established Member
I think OT is a bookie...lol

:thumbsup:

just kidding, bro :)

OverToad

Established Member
LOL!

Want to hear something funny? Right outa high school, I DID run a small book just for fun :thumbsup: It was purely small beans, and only for 50 of my closest friends ;-) Nothing over $100, no heavy bets, etc etc.
I did it purely for the joy of it :) Would you believe I actually made some money off of it? :eek:

I love football, and enjoy the "game inside the game".

I rarely bet on games myself, and didn't bet on even one game last year. Parity owns the league, so I didn't have a good feel for it this past year (although I DID win my year-long game prediction pool by a wide margin ;-) ).
Three years ago I had a personal best 8 game winning streak :thumbsup: Of course, I turned around and lost three straight, and haven't done any real betting since.

zzzzzer

Established Member
:lol: That's brilliant! Have fun when you move to Vegas and PUHLEEZE be careful out there. Don't play cards with a guy who has the same name as a city. My grandma taught me that...lol :-D I'M JUST KIDDING! (be kinda funny if she did say that, though)

* That story calls for its own thread.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Finally,a thread I can get into.

Releasing Emmitt wasn't so much a vote for confidence with Hambrick as it was a desire to move on. With Smith still on the roster, he'd have just been a distraction.

I haven't really cared for Hambrick since he was dancing on Emmitt's grave in interviews half way through the seaon. Emmitt was still a Cowboy and Hambrick was talking about taking over his job.

Bulger did an awesome job (who saw him coming? ),

I did,but only because I was at every home game he played as an Eer. And some road games. Even got to ride in a car with him once. Nice guy,always looks stoned.

My best bud is a die-hard Phish-fan, so I've had to endure alot of exposure to the 'fins. The Ricky Williams trade looked awesome.....until they (again) fell apart in December and missed the playoffs. Now they have no first rounder and no receivers. Chambers will end up being pretty good, but beyond that, it's trouble. We're still not convinced Fiedler is the man. Miami better spend early and often in free agency to try and win it all next year. Their stars are all getting older, and with no real draft picks to speak of, times are gonna be hard in 4 years. Sorry man

I was a big Dolphin fan as a kid simply because Marino was my hero. Ricky Williams looked good all year but like you said,it's a given that they crumble in December.

Barry would have shattered every record......and still be playing. It's too bad he lost his desire to play. Damn Jim Brown for laying the groundwork of players leaving on top of their game.

What was he,about 1400 yards shy of Jim Brown when he quit? It was a shame to see him go so early but I still think Emmitt is a better RB. Barry is definetly a more pure runner but he doesn't block or catch passes out of the backfield like Emmitt Smith. Marshall Faulk seems to be the only guy capable of taking over Emmitt's role of all around RB. And as far as the next pure runner,watch Priest Holmes.

I remember Carnell Lake once saying "You always have to be on your game around ol' Bernie. Nobody ever played cat and mouse better than him. He's a Brown, but we love the guy."

I also remember Carnell Lake as being one of my favorite players when I was little. Not only because he was a Steeler but because he didn't have to talk trash to get a point across like most players. He was more talented than Dewayne Washington will ever be and watching the Lake and Woodson together was more fun to me than almost anything.

While slower than time, Kosar

Tommy Maddox now holds that title.

OverToad

Established Member
What was he,about 1400 yards shy of Jim Brown when he quit? It was a shame to see him go so early but I still think Emmitt is a better RB. Barry is definetly a more pure runner but he doesn't block or catch passes out of the backfield like Emmitt Smith. Marshall Faulk seems to be the only guy capable of taking over Emmitt's role of all around RB. And as far as the next pure runner,watch Priest Holmes.

Point of clarification:

I didn't say Barry was the best ever, I said he'd have broken all the records.

Barry was, by far, the most exciting football player I ever saw. However, he was never the most complete back at any point in his career. He was only mediocre at receiving and blocking, and putting a fullback in front of him was as useless as tits on a bull :nonono:
Emmett goes down as the most PRODUCTIVE back in history for three reasons:
1) He always had at least two pro-bowl linemen in front of him for his entire career, and a pro-bowl fullback to open the hole for him
2) With Novacek, Irvin, and Aikman, people couldn't focus on stopping him or they'd just throw to the 1-1 receiver, whoever it might be on any given day
3) Longevity in staying injury free. He only missed something like 4 games in his 14 (13?) years.

I've hated the Cowgirls since Jones ran Landry out of town, but always had the upmost respect for Emmett.
The one record I'm glad he won't break is Jerry Rice's TD record. As great as Smith is, Jerry Rice is the greatest football player ever.

Unfortunately, Preist Holmes is allready 30. He might be able to muster another few years, but that'll be it. He won't own any records, except for maybe some Chief records stolen from Okoye.

I don't really see Marshall Faulk breaking many records. As great as he is, and man is he GREAT, he's starting to show wear and tear, and he's in his early 30's (32 I believe). He's not the kinda back that will be able to continue his career after he loses that first step. No O.J. Anderson-like changes for him.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
All around back? Anyone say Tiki? :p

Led the league in yards from scrimmage this year. Hard to argue with that.

The one record I'm glad he won't break is Jerry Rice's TD record. As great as Smith is, Jerry Rice is the greatest football player ever.

Good choice. Very tough call but I'd go with Rice to if put on the spot. As far as exciting goes,give Vick time. Staying injury free and learning to run to his right will be his biggest challenges but if he can do that,he's great to watch.

Unfortunately, Preist Holmes is allready 30. He might be able to muster another few years, but that'll be it. He won't own any records, except for maybe some Chief records stolen from Okoye.

I was actually unaware that Holmes was that old. He had some big records in his sights this years had he been able to play the final 2 games. Alas,injury is a RB's biggest foe.

I don't really see Marshall Faulk breaking many records. As great as he is, and man is he GREAT, he's starting to show wear and tear, and he's in his early 30's (32 I believe). He's not the kinda back that will be able to continue his career after he loses that first step. No O.J. Anderson-like changes for him.

Up until this year,I believe,he stayed mostly healthy. But again,I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread