2003 Mustang GT Whine noise...need help.

XxSVTxX

Established Member
hey guys, was wondering if anyone could help me out, test drove a5spd 03 GT i might be getting today, but it had a whining noise coming out of the gearbox/transmission. anyways it almost sounded like my previous cobra with built/race transmission, like the whine, but this one is a stock gt at a dealership. anyone know what it might be by any chance? it drives and shifts perfect.

Thanks
Jeff

XxSVTxX

Established Member
Throw out bearing perhaps?

i dont think its the throwout bearing, bc usually they make a dif. sound n it goes away when u push it the clutch and makes a sound even when not driving. this one does it when u drive only

im not sure what it might be, maybe the gears inside or somethin, i dont wanna get it and it mess up on me, but it drove great, but u never know.

Last edited:

02mustangtowner

Established Member
could be a short throw shifter, lift the plastic cover and see if the shifter has a name on it. My car makes a little noise after i got one.

XxSVTxX

Established Member
i checked really quickly under the cover, shifter looked stock, but ill double check it, i didnt take a great look at it

thanks guys

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
My Tr-3650 in my '03 has whined from the moment I've had it, previous owner said it has always whined also. Never had any problems shifting, no metal in the fluid. I don't want to say that it's normal but I have never had any problems other than the whining noise. It's loudest in the lower gears and is mostly gone by 4th. It got slightly louder when I added the MGW shifter. Sounds like a damn supercharger or something, so I tolerate it. One can only pretend.

330mach1

Established Member
i have a 03 mach with the same trans, my stock trans whined til i blew it up. and the trans i had built whines still to this day. but never any problems

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I had read online that our transmissions made noise from the input shaft. Mine makes nosie in 1,2,3 & 4 . I deal with it.

Users who are viewing this thread