2003 Mustang Cobra convertible getting Accuair e-level setup!

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Have a chance to see what caused the bent arm?

No. I do have some time today, I might take a stab at disassembling it to straighten the arm. I talked it over with Michel (the guy I did the install with) yesterday, and we agree that it might have been a freak occurrence. i.e. wheelhop combined with squishy bushing deflection or something like that. I plan to just set everything straight and see if it happens again.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Today I disassembled the ride height sensor on the left rear corner. As shown previously, it was somehow damaged and became disconnected from the upper A-arm. So I removed it and took a stab at getting the arm straight. Here's what I started with:
IMG_0614_zpse4bd5f04.jpg

Disassembled. If you look very closely on the top of the sensor's shaft, there's a small dot molded in to it. This dot must be aligned with the arm when you reassemble the sensor. The square shaft reduces the chance of getting it wrong, but I wouldn't want to do it over and over to get it right.
IMG_0615_zps678e001f.jpg

Took the first bend nearest the shaft out easily enough with a couple pairs of pliers. You can also see a convenient hole in the surface of my workbench that came in handy to remove the second bend.
IMG_0616_zpscde3cbe0.jpg

The ball on the end of the arm is metal and pretty sturdy, but I was worried about snapping it off if I grabbed it wrong with the pliers while trying to straighten the arm. If that happened, I'd have been S.O.L. and would have had to buy and wait for a new sensor. As I mentioned, my workbench had a perfectly-sized hole in it that the ball fit into. I then whacked it a few times with a hammer until it was pretty much straight. I also removed a bit of a twist that was in the arm.
IMG_0617_zps65df35dd.jpg

IMG_0618_zps392e03dc.jpg

This is as good as it's gonna get.
IMG_0620_zps6f0df4e6.jpg

I also lengthened the pushrod about 1/4 inch when I put it back on the car. I haven't driven it yet since I fixed it, but I don't see why it won't work properly. All this took maybe 40 minutes, including jacking the car and setting it on a jackstand, and removing and reinstalling the wheel. If this happens to you, don't spend $100 or more on a new sensor before trying this.

Users who are viewing this thread