2003 Mods --- can't decide what to do first...

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Since I am completely crazy and can't ever leave anything alone...

Here is what I am thinking.....

1. FR500 Exhaust System.

2. Sequential Tail Lights.

3. Cal Custom Car Cover.

4. Light Bar.

That's to start, then for Chirstmas perhaps...

5. Electric Fan Kit...

6. New Chip.

Please comment...

fangstang

Established Member
The FR500 exhaust sounds good, I was considering the same for mine. The rest, well, thats up to you. It looks like a bunch of EXTRA stuff you dont need. I'll tell you what I'm gonna have installed in the first month: BBK Longtube headers w/off-road x-pipe, FR500 exhaust, 4.10 gears and compensater, K&N airfilter, Tri-ax shifter,and probably 62mm trottle body,to start.

Cobra'03

Established Member
I have a Steeda Tri-AX ready, with round billet knob. No one knows if the FR500 exh will fit, but that would be my choice down the road as well. I would be very careful about chipping a SC'd car within warranty period. More and more sophistication is being built into engine control modules - they can now capture all sorts of forensic info - speed, RPM at failure, BOOST, etc. I believe more and more you will see warranty contention based on that info, and also in the tort courts. Be careful. I think the good ol' days of blowing up a warrantied car, yanking the mods, and then trotting down to the dealer with a "I dunno what happened" approach will not, unfortunately, always work. Caveat emptor.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Now we are talking about some good stuff...

Fang, please tell me how you would pass emissions with headers and off road pipe. (no cat) I live where I would have to pass a stupid e-check...

K&N was a good idea... Who makes a 62mm throttle body?

How did everybody, come to determine that Ford is using the '99 pre mod exhaust... why would they do that? Anyway when we figure that out for sure, it seems the FR500 is a good idea.

fangstang

Established Member
As far as warrenty is concerned, they have to prove that the mod caused the failure. I also heard that they put a 99 cobra exhaust on the 2003. It was to keep the "noise" level of the car down due to the supercharger. It makes the car quiet. I dont see any reason why the existing exhaust systems wont fit. Its basically the same as the 99-01 cobras. And as far as emissions, I have an off-road X in my 2001 and it sounds to good to worry about emissions, but if you have concerns, just get one with cats.

Rob03

Established Member
I agree with the "they have to prove the mod caused the failure", but they normally put you through hell before it is resolved, as I'm sure some of you have found out in the past. Maybe you can discuss the mods you want to make with the actual guys that will be servicing your car. I know that every time I buy a car they want to introduce me to my service manager and the team assigned to my car...maybe they can buy into the mods proposed and smooth the way if there are any probs...just my .02 worth..

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

SPDFRK

Established Member
03' Cobra Mods!

Just curious but.....are you for sure the regular Cobra headers/exhaust will fit? It should bolt up okay but what about when it comes down around the tranny? That T-56 is a big biya-biya! Maybe one of the guys with 00' Cobra "R" can answer this, what exhaust do they use for headers? As long as the H-pipe meats at the same point from the cat back that should be fine!

If you live in the NY area I would put a call into JDM because they do a lot of the Lightning computer issues and probably have the most R&D knowledge on that sort of stuff. Plus they had a 03' Sonic Blue cobra they were testing there mods on already!

Question: Does the 03' not have an electric fan already on it?

Before you buy the BBK throttle body look at some other brands of single blade design. They were getting a lot more HP, not just peak but down low power and mean TQ too. :eek:

Good luck with the MODS!:-D

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by fangstang
As far as warrenty is concerned, they have to prove that the mod caused the failure. I also heard that they put a 99 cobra exhaust on the 2003. It was to keep the "noise" level of the car down due to the supercharger. It makes the car quiet. I dont see any reason why the existing exhaust systems wont fit. Its basically the same as the 99-01 cobras. And as far as emissions, I have an off-road X in my 2001 and it sounds to good to worry about emissions, but if you have concerns, just get one with cats.

Well you are right about the proof, but I am missing your point?

1) Scenario 1: Your differential is toast - computer shows a 6000 rpm engine speed and a speed sensor of 0mph - oops: no warranty (proof provided)

2) Scenario 2: Engine head gasket blown - rod bent - etc. computer shows a 12 psi boost level and there is evidence of a impact wrench on the pulleys - Ooops: I smell underdrive, no warranty (proof provided)

3) Scenario 3: RPM limiter exceeded - top speed limiter exceeded - engine shows extreme lean condition at WOT. Ooops: I smell chip replacement

See where I am going with this?

fangstang

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03

Well you are right about the proof, but I am missing your point?

1) Scenario 1: Your differential is toast - computer shows a 6000 rpm engine speed and a speed sensor of 0mph - oops: no warranty (proof provided)

2) Scenario 2: Engine head gasket blown - rod bent - etc. computer shows a 12 psi boost level and there is evidence of a impact wrench on the pulleys - Ooops: I smell underdrive, no warranty (proof provided)

3) Scenario 3: RPM limiter exceeded - top speed limiter exceeded - engine shows extreme lean condition at WOT. Ooops: I smell chip replacement

See where I am going with this?

I'll just have to say I'm John Coletti's nephew. (LOL):coolman: ;-)

Cobra'03

Established Member
Coletti's nephew...and my new best friend!

OK, pal, how about getting me my Cobra next week, old Buddy, my man, homeboy, whatever it takes?;-)

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
Since I am completely crazy and can't ever leave anything alone...

Here is what I am thinking.....

1. FR500 Exhaust System.

2. Sequential Tail Lights.

3. Cal Custom Car Cover.

4. Light Bar.

That's to start, then for Chirstmas perhaps...

5. Electric Fan Kit...

6. New Chip.

Please comment...

I believe I'd be replacing the taillights....with one with amber turn signals....I will NOT give those up, regardless if Ford does or not!

fangstang

Established Member
Re: Re: 2003 Mods --- can't decide what to do first...

Originally posted by quick01snake

I believe I'd be replacing the taillights....with one with amber turn signals....I will NOT give those up, regardless if Ford does or not!

WORD!!:coolman:

Black Cobra

Established Member

CobraMan99

Established Member
Piece of advice...if you do put a chip in the 2003 and bump the horses..for Godsake please put a spoiler on the back of that beautiful car...cause the next thing we see lifting off from earth wont be the shuttle..:burnout:

YELL-OSNAKE

Established Member
As someone mentioned up in a previous post...look into the single blade throttle bodies. The two port design has a lot of material in-between the butterflies, which the single blade does not, it is one BIG, SMOOTH bore!! You're going for less restriction right?, so why not get the least restriction. Check out www.seanhylandmotorsport.com. They have just come out with their design...that they now use, and as an added deal, it is polished..for only $369...as opposed to bbk 65mm for $349 in cast finish. SHM says it is intro price...will go up to $429 VERY soon. Ordered mine today..will post how good it works, after it is installed. Just my $.02 worth.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread