2003 mach 1... ABS and weird smell!

Wish4svts

Established Member
About 10 mins after I first crank and drive it the ABS light pops on! Sometimes it goes off after ~15~ mins and sometimes it stays on the whole time. Also when the ABS light comes on so does the traction control light, which means it turns off.

After driving, when I open the door to get out there is a mild smell coming from underneath the car. Almost a burning smell but not quite. Like something getting real hot, but not a smoke smell. (does that make sense?). But the smell goes away very quick, I get out and try to hunt Down the source sniffing ferociously but can't find it.

Any ideas? Troubleshooting? Any things I should be checking first?

Thanks.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
My brother has the same problem as you. Both abs and trac off light are on. Usually connecting the vehicle to an abs reader will tell you were the problem is. Worst case if the reader cannot communicate with the abs module, and you've checked all wiring and it's good, the fault is in the module. First thing on our list is clean the abs sensors/rings and check their readings with a multimeter. Make sure to get the basic stuff out of the way, check fuses, clean sensors and rings, I believe you can check the module with a multimeter too. Haven't checked exactly what readings and cables to probe yet, sorry. Dealer wanted $107 to read codes FYI.

He recently just told me he started smelling something burning as well. He described it like an electronic/rubber burn. Maybe the module is shot in our case? Who knows!

Hope this helped in pointing you in some kind of direction.

Users who are viewing this thread