2003 Fuel Economy / Gas Guzzler Tax update

Black Cobra

Established Member
A gas guzzler tax was brought up in the following thread Good news about my new Cobra.

I had e-mailed my dealer back on 03/12/02 and asked him about it. He said that he didn't know anything about and basically dismissed it.

Talked to him on 04/05/02 about the Chrome Wheel issue on the 2003. Apparently in his discussions with whomever, he also inquired about the 2003's fuel economy and a gas guzzler tax. He said that the fuel economy for the 2003 was such that they would not be required to charge a gas guzzler tax.

According to IRS form 6197 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6197.pdf an automobile that gets 22.5 mpg or better (I assume this is some kind of average), does not have a gas guzzler tax. I believe this form is filed by the dealer.

Last edited:

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
My right foot will make it guzzle.

Thanks for that update. My dealer also dismissed that bit of info, but I didn't pay him any mind since my treatment during this whole matter has been less than satisfactory. If, according to that IRS form, the car does not qualify(woohoo!), then what are the exact mileage estimations going to be as posted on the window sticker? I don't know how they calculate that, but I"m guessing it's a mix of city and highway.

Users who are viewing this thread