2003 Ford Mustang Cobra "silent recall"

mangrumm

Established Member
For those who did not see this message from the blue oval.

"2003 Mustang Cobras Have Defective Engine Cylinder Heads

29 July 03
Robert Lane

According to a Ford Motor Company memo, 2003 Ford Mustang Cobras may have defective engine cylinder heads. The memo noted that the Cobras may exhibit an unusual engine noise that is present at all temperature ranges during engine idle. The memo also states that the noise may be due to bad cylinder head valve guides in the left hand cylinder head. The noise may be heard at the rear of the left hand cylinder head, thought the left side exhaust or at the left front wheel of the vehicle.

If your 2003 Cobra Mustang exhibits this condition, Ford may replace the cylinder head and cam assembly. The replacement cylinder head part number is: 3R2Z-6049-GA. Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty period expires.

This is considered a "silent recall" where upon Ford may NOT notify owners of this condition. Owners should contact Pat Hoye (313) 248-8336 at Ford World Headquarters or click here for a Ford executive assigned to your area.

Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty period expires.

It's your money - demand a better product and Ford will listen.

CHALLENGE: Should Ford Motor Company dispute this report - either someone from BlueOvalNews or FlatRateTech will be more than happy to engage in a three way telephone conference.

Updates at BlueOvalNews.com "

Mines been having blue smoke come from the exhaust for a while now.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Actually it is true, Ford has confirmed that Cobra with heads produced after 11/02 still could be defective. Mine was produced on 02/03, and it was defective and REPLACED DUE TO THE TICK. All 03's could be affected. There was a replacement head issued in October i believe, that had the redesigned cooling passages and is suposed to be use on the 04's

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by brasil
Actually it is true, Ford has confirmed that Cobra with heads produced after 11/02 still could be defective. Mine was produced on 02/03, and it was defective and REPLACED DUE TO THE TICK. All 03's could be affected. There was a replacement head issued in October i believe, that had the redesigned cooling passages and is suposed to be use on the 04's
I wouldnt consider that a recall. More of an admission of faulty parts, all symatics I guess. From many of the comments I have heard I would be afraid to have a dealer touch my car for head work, seems many have more problems after the fix.

akaeric

Established Member
It is normal for Dome pistions to have a cold motor noise but if yours keeps ticking after it warmed up you should have is checked out. I'm going to change my cam a little later anyway for me so I'm not worried about it. I have my first service check the or my dealership sets up a date for this first service check. Its going to be interesting I allready have the main cats off and a cold air intake and a praditor tune I might put the stock tune back in i don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread