2003 Cobra won't go into 1st

Ferris Bueller

Established Member
Just picked up a 2003 Cobra today with 12k miles on it. During the test drive(s) the transmission shifted fine without any problems. After taking it home and driving it easy around town, I couldn't get it into 1st gear when at a full stop. I could get it in after shifting to 2nd first, but it doesn't feel like it should. It goes into 1st smoothly if i'm moving slowly, but once I stop it's a pain. Am I looking at a clutch cable adjustment issue, streched cable, or a tranny problem?

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
If the clutch cable quadrant is stock you can manually adjust the tension by pulling upward on the clutch pedal. There is a ratcheting adjuster and this will remove slack. You should hear it click as you pull up, if it adjusts.

Otherwise, it could be a bad clutch, synchro, shift fork, or ...

Ferris Bueller

Established Member
As far as I can tell, I have the stock clutch/quadrant/adjuster.

After driving some more, I thought the clutch wasnt disengaging fully. I tried pulling up on the clutch pedal to adjust, but it never clicked. I found the solution in this thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389553

Now everything shifts fine and the clutch engages higher up. Thanks for the help!

Wohpony

Established Member
in my cobra I sometimes have trouble with 1st also but I havent been driving a stick for long and I think its just me

Apicia

Established Member
Get a Fiore quadrant, firewall adjuster, and LDC freeplay kit and dial the clutch right in.

Users who are viewing this thread