2003 Cobra Whipple 2.3 Question

Mark77

Hey all. I currently am pushing 500rwhp with my 03 cobra on a stock Eaton. I have mhs cams ,headers ,exhaust, accufab throttle body ,CAI, smaller pulleys etc.. I am thinking of replacing the eaton with a 2.3 whipple super charger. I use it for the streets and do not want to be at 600rwhp. I am looking to be at 550 tops. Is there a way these can be dialed down, and if i want to go a little more in future do so? Also i was told at 500rwhp the eatons are very hot and really cant be pushed any more. will the whipple be better for the life of the motor?

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can run lower timing and less boost to hit your goal. But if you really only want 550 I would get the eaton ported. Or find a ported eaton for sale. Then if you ever want more step up to the Whipple.

Mark77

Thanks for the reply. Yes that Makes sense. Lower timing and less boost you are saying if i did the whipple right? The ported eaton will put me around 550? But the whipple will be more? Do you mention ported eaton because of price diff?
Also what do you think is a Horsepower number of where a street car hits a point where its to fast and other parts need to be changed.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Yes that Makes sense. Lower timing and less boost you are saying if i did the whipple right? The ported eaton will put me around 550? But the whipple will be more? Do you mention ported eaton because of price diff?
Also what do you think is a Horsepower number of where a street car hits a point where its to fast and other parts need to be changed.

Correct on the lower boost and timing with the Whipple. I said the ported eaton mostly for price. But generally I tell people if there's an inkling of feeling they'll want more power at some point get the bigger blower.

That all depends on how you drive it. A car can live a long time at 700hp if you drive normal most of the time and occasionally do a pull on the freeway or something. But even 400hp can break things if you're hitting the track every weekend and doing 4k launches.

Mark77

Hef

Established Member
I think you'll be looking at about 650 with 18lbs of boost, this is based off of what my buddy is making with a 2.3 Add torqo with a tune and be at about 670

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mark77

Correct on the lower boost and timing with the Whipple. I said the ported eaton mostly for price. But generally I tell people if there's an inkling of feeling they'll want more power at some point get the bigger blower.

That all depends on how you drive it. A car can live a long time at 700hp if you drive normal most of the time and occasionally do a pull on the freeway or something. But even 400hp can break things if you're hitting the track every weekend and doing 4k launches.

Mark77

So you think i can go from 508 to 550 with porting the eaton right? But i would be hitting 600 unless i do a whipple ?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don’t think anybody has hit 600 on an Eaton.

But yes, 600 is standard for about any TS even on 91. 625 on 93

700 on E

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app
There was someone working on it years ago just to see if it was possible. He had totally reworked the inlet side of things. Then someone stole it out of a work truck i believe.

Buddy of mine is 580 or 590 on his Whipple 2.3.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
18-19psi on 93oct is the old sweet spot on the smaller TS blowers. Pretty consistently nets +/-600whp. Max psi I ever recall seeing from a ported Eaton is 17 and that made 550's.

I didn't see anything about bigger injectors, BAP, or MAF listed. Additional parts I think you'll need regardless of which blower setup you choose.

If it were me, I'd rather have the bigger, more efficient blower and just dial it back with a bigger pulley versus a maxed out Eaton on the hairy edge of making more heat than effective boost. You'll sacrifice some of the low end punch/torque you'd get from the Eaton, but overall I feel you'd get a better, more reliable and consistent result thanks in part to lower IAT's. Better for the motor and less strain on the blower.

Users who are viewing this thread