2003 Cobra Weak Idle

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
Recently I notice that when I am pulling in to a parking spot, I have make a sharp turn at a low speed, so push in the clutch and once I begin turning the wheel the engine's RPM drop from 900-800 to around 300-250. It seems like the power steering is too much of a load of the engine, but the car is supposed to know if there is a load on the car, it should then create more power to handle the load. This not so scary in the parking lot, but on the road when you are at an intersection turning right onto a very narrow road. I had the idle air control replace about 3 months ago because it went bad. :bowdown:please let me know what I need to do to get this fixed. Because the car has stalled when I made a sharp right hand turn, very scary.:whine:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Have you disconnected the battery lately? When I do, it does this for a bit before it 're-learns' itself. Do the RPM's drop when your at a stop just turning the wheel a little back and forth, does it only happen near full lock?

1sickcobra

Banned
Is crazy how i had the same thing happend to me, i was coming of the highway into a rigth hand turn and out off no where boom the car turned of, it was really scary because i had a wig wall rigth in front of me which i could iff easily hit..

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
Have you disconnected the battery lately? When I do, it does this for a bit before it 're-learns' itself. Do the RPM's drop when your at a stop just turning the wheel a little back and forth, does it only happen near full lock?

It only happens were the car is moving too slow for 1st gear, so I have to push the clutch pedal and then turn the wheel. The engine drops as soon as I start turning the and when I get near full lock it is running around 300-250 RPM.

hotcobra03

Established Member
coils will cause this when they start to get weak..it will turn into a drive ability issue..

I have found my pcv valve will cause this too..i had done pcv valve a couple of times over 300,000 miles..

when it didn't help was when I did coils..

wish I would have done coils like years ago..what a night/day difference in how smooth the engine runs..

just ready to hit 350,000 ..coils are only part ive done towards engine issue..

I had found a member that I was able to swap just coils for testing before just throwing them in..

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
coils will cause this when they start to get weak..it will turn into a drive ability issue..

I have found my pcv valve will cause this too..i had done pcv valve a couple of times over 300,000 miles..

when it didn't help was when I did coils..

wish I would have done coils like years ago..what a night/day difference in how smooth the engine runs..

just ready to hit 350,000 ..coils are only part ive done towards engine issue..

I had found a member that I was able to swap just coils for testing before just throwing them in..

What does the coil do, does it give the car more power at neutral/ idle to power steering? Also when I turn on the headlights and the wipers the car's rpm drop just a little. Can you let me know what the coils do?:)

hotcobra03

Established Member
What does the coil do, does it give the car more power at neutral/ idle to power steering? Also when I turn on the headlights and the wipers the car's rpm drop just a little. Can you let me know what the coils do?:)

the coil fires the spark plug..

just like battery fires the starter..weak battery slow starter

we have 8 coils..there aren't cheap..

at parts store 80bucks each..

hotcobra03

Established Member
ebay you can find cheap coils..under 100 for set of 8

ford racing set of 8 is the best deal ive seen..they are oem

we have a vendor on our site autonation aka tousley ford..buy here only

prices change..i did mine 2yrs ago think price is same 225 shipped to door

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
the coil fires the spark plug..

just like battery fires the starter..weak battery slow starter

we have 8 coils..there aren't cheap..

at parts store 80bucks each..

so what you're saying is that if you replace the coils it will bring more power on idle for power steering and other devices running. Is it really just these coils that keep the RPM steady when the clutch is push down or when the cars in neutral and you turn the wheel sharply?

hotcobra03

Established Member
best reading you will find about this car that's so close if isn't to 100%

cobra bobs terminator facts and questions..it has story on stall issue..most should have been fixed by now..

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
best reading you will find about this car that's so close if isn't to 100%

cobra bobs terminator facts and questions..it has story on stall issue..most should have been fixed by now..

We did try to get the car reflash due to the car stalling just coming to a stop, well ford dealer service said that they could not get the car reflashed because it was chipped. Well the chip is a good thing because I have aftermarket exhaust and air intake system. So what should I do? Even when the car is at a stop, in neutral, if I turn the wheel the rpm drops, but doesn't shall, but close.

MattACK

Established Member
Where can you get a coil set test and how much does it cost?
Where can you get a compression test and how much does it cost?
I might try this if you can answer these questions.

Find a friend that has a cobra, ask to borrow his coils. Very easy to swap them in and out.

Rent a compression tester from autozone, find a friend to help that knows how to do it if you can't figure it out from researching on this forum or the internet.

It isn't as hard as it seems.

hotcobra03

Established Member
watch on coil test..weak coil will test good..

coil swap is 5min job..

if you are going to work on car..just buy compression test guage..20 bucks

I only post in talk/tech,,many guys like u spent a grand to find compression test done last found issue,,

I had 3 different heads have issues..stall was noticed,,after this last new head I had stall issue,

this time I passed compression test..my coils got so weak it was work just to drive it.

coil was only thing changed,car runs better than new.

when I took test drive with other guys coils..i knew when just backing up it was solved.night/day

I never had a misfire or coil code,,

mi03cobra

Established Member
Do as one of the first commenters stated as well. Unhook the neg. battery cable and hold the brake pedal down for a few mins. or turn the lights on to drain the system. Hook neg. back up in 5 or so mins. and see if that resets anything.

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
Do as one of the first commenters stated as well. Unhook the neg. battery cable and hold the brake pedal down for a few mins. or turn the lights on to drain the system. Hook neg. back up in 5 or so mins. and see if that resets anything.

Yeah I probably will try that.

Users who are viewing this thread