2003 cobra tuning with sct handheld 3015

acvanloon

Established Member
I just bought an 2003 cobra and have only done a mac straight shot cold air kit and an upr off road x pipe with mac catback exhuast. I just went out today and bought an sct handheld tuner to try and make the car run a little better down low. The car seems to have a mild hickup from idle to about 2000 rpms when idling or holding the throttle steady at 1500 to 2000. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to cure the issue?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think you've done enough changes to warrant a custom tune. The hiccup is probably due to the change in airflow at part throttle. At the very least you need to datalog to see what's going on.

acvanloon

Established Member
tuning 2003 cobra

I just bought an 2003 cobra and have only done a mac straight shot cold air kit and an upr off road x pipe with mac catback exhuast. I just went out today and bought an sct handheld tuner to try and make the car run a little better down low. The car seems to have a mild hickup from idle to about 2000 rpms when idling or holding the throttle steady at 1500 to 2000. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to cure the issue?

I appreciate your response and I believe you are right with needing to get a custom tune. I am just wondering if I should do a pulley change before getting a custom dyno tune and then be done with it? Now the only question is what pulley, belt, and plugs to go with before going in for the tuning, if I even should I guess?

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you want to do a pulley then I would definitly do it before the tune. Otherwise you'll have to go back for a retune. I'd look through the Terminator section for what pulley and belt to go with.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
You don't need a custom tune yet, until you mess with the pulleys or put headers on you should be good. Just a cold air and partial exaust doesn't require it. I would get a wide band to check air fuel, these cars are so picky on air fuel I keep one on my car always. For instance the other day my wide band started reading rich sometimes then it would go lean all the sudden. The car ran good but was going lean and if I had not had a wide band I woulda never known. Turned out my 02's bit the dust. As for the hesitation you talked about, my buddy has a Mach 1 and it did the same exact thing and it turned out to be a COP, it never threw a code or anything?? May wanna check that??

Hope this helps bud!

Jay

acvanloon

Established Member
Thanks man I appreciate your input! I tell you the car runs good on the mid range to big end, just idles a little on the rough side up to 2200 and reeks of fuel sitting at and idle. I've got an appointment set up with a local shop to get it dyno tuned and I hope that it does the trick.

hargrove2012

If you want to do a pulley then I would definitly do it before the tune. Otherwise you'll have to go back for a retune. I'd look through the Terminator section for what pulley and belt to go with.
So I have a question, I have an 04 cobra and all I have done is a cat back H pipe and smaller pulley and tensioner. The guy I bought it from said it needs to be retuned and that it has an E85 tune on it ( I believe he was running a bigger supercharger and 60-80lb fuel injectors) So now the car runs rough because its stock for the most part. If i buy a SCT handheld tuner online will I be able to tune it back to stock myself? Is a stock tune the tune I should do? Or will I need to go get it dyne tuned?

hargrove2012

So I have a question, I have an 04 cobra and all I have done is a cat back H pipe and smaller pulley and tensioner. The guy I bought it from said it needs to be retuned and that it has an E85 tune on it ( I believe he was running a bigger supercharger and 60-80lb fuel injectors) So now the car runs rough because its stock for the most part. If i buy a SCT handheld tuner online will I be able to tune it back to stock myself? Is a stock tune the tune I should do? Or will I need to go get it dyne tuned?

Dyno not dyne

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You don't need a custom tune yet, until you mess with the pulleys or put headers on you should be good. Just a cold air and partial exaust doesn't require it.

Jay
This is incorrect.

Please don't give out bad information. ANY time you change the MAF location and or intake, it is essential to have the MAF retuned for that intake.

Limon_Svt

Established Member
This is incorrect.

Please don't give out bad information. ANY time you change the MAF location and or intake, it is essential to have the MAF retuned for that intake.

Hey 04 sleeper I tried messaging you but i can't seem to be able to. Mind shooting me a PM or text? 915 206 8532 tune related

smashedheadcat

Established Member
The MAC straight show CAI uses a 95mm maf housing. The oem sensor and tune in the larger housing will certainly make things "different". First, the maf will see less air than what is going into the engine. When that happens, your car will be "leaner" under open loop fueling. Also, since your maf xfer function will be off (slightly) for the same reasons the fueling will be off, LOAD will be lower. This will bring in more ignition timing.

With that said, this is exactly what a "custom" tune is do for you. The difference, one will be done in a controlled environment with datalogging and air to fuel monitoring. At the very least, get yourself a wideband or hit the dyno for an air to fuel check and datalog the pull.

I ran the MAC straight shot CAI, MAC prochamber, and borla stingers without a tune for about two years and I flogged the dog with it. After that, I went the twin turbo route (Dec 2005) and I am still on the stock longblock.

01yellercobra

Established Member

You should contact the previous owner and see if you can get the hand held from him. That should have the stock tune on it. However since you have a smaller pulley you will need a retune. You'll want the hand held for that anyway.

I was told my car had a tune when I bought it. I never got the hand held though. I wasn't too worried since I have spares. I knew the stock tune wouldn't work with my set up anyway. I went ahead and retuned the car. When I loaded up my tune the hand held saved whatever tune was in the car already in the place for the stock tune. I know SCT will do this no problem. I've known two people that used Diablosport and had issues because their cars were tuned previously and they didn't know it. The Diablosport set up saw that it wasn't the stock tune and freaked out. They had to take extra steps in order to tune their cars.

decipha

Established Member
04sleeper your quoting someone from 4 years ago

hargrove.. the only way to put a true stock tune back on it would be to send the ecu in and get it reflashed to stock with your pats code copied over, other than myself i don't know of anyone else that offers that service, it would be cheaper than buying a hand held

however, you can get a handheld if you want and just write an unmodified amz2 tune to it

01yellercobra

Established Member
Can't Ford still reflash the ECU back to stock? I know a couple years ago I was helping demod a Cobra and the mechanic was saying they were going to reflash it before selling it. I thought about having mine reflashed just to have the stock tune, but I never called any dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread