2003 Cobra Shoot out Bowling Green Ky.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
NMRA is going to have a 03 Cobra Shoot out in Bowling Kentucky, at the 4th Annual NMRA World Finals, At Beech Bend Raceway. 2 Classes, 1st Class is on stock tires. 2nd class is on DR's and Slicks. It will be run under Modular Class. The top 4 from each class, (stock Tires) and( DR's and Slicks) will be awarded Prizes. It's on the 27th,28th,and29th. For more info contact the NMRA at 714-444-2426. Please wait a few days, they have not anounced it yet. Good Luck Guys. Hope to see you there. This event will draw lots of Magazine coverage. It's a good way to get you and your car some ink.

Tim :)

Dr. Jamie Meyer

Why would you lift?
Established Member
Tim,

Thanks for posting this information for me. I've been reading this forum for about a month now, and I thought it was time I added a little.

This shootout will be the first event that will specifically cater to the 2003 Cobra. So, I hope at least a few of the regulars here get involved. The UPR car will be there as well as Dan Millen's black convertible from Livernois Motorsports. I spoke with Paul Svinicki this morning, and he will be getting involved as well. Ford SVT is rumored to have an engineering car with pulley, exhaust, and a custom Ford computer that I am trying to get to the race.

If you need more info, watch the NMRA site, email me directly, or you can talk with me this weekend - I will be announcing the Atco, NJ NMRA event. I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of hot 03s out there.

Thanks,
Jamie

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
Count me in! I'll be there ready to rip! I was already planning on going to the event but this more than enough reason to go!:thumbsup:
Thanks for the info.

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by LR 01 Cobra
NMRA is going to have a 03 Cobra Shoot out in Bowling Kentucky, at the 4th Annual NMRA World Finals, At Beech Bend Raceway. 2 Classes, 1st Class is on stock tires. 2nd class is on DR's and Slicks. It will be run under Modular Class. The top 4 from each class, (stock Tires) and( DR's and Slicks) will be awarded Prizes. It's on the 27th,28th,and29th. For more info contact the NMRA at 714-444-2426. Please wait a few days, they have not anounced it yet. Good Luck Guys. Hope to see you there. This event will draw lots of Magazine coverage. It's a good way to get you and your car some ink.

Tim :)

Tim/Jamie:

Besides the tire classes, will there be any rules/restrictions for the class?

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Re: Re: 2003 Cobra Shoot out Bowling Green Ky.

Originally posted by Hammer

Tim/Jamie:

Besides the tire classes, will there be any rules/restrictions for the class?

I don't think so, but Jamie will be able to answer the question better. He should be back Tomorrow, He's at the race in NJ this weekend. If you need to know right now, You can call the NMRA # 714-444-2426

Tim:p

Silver 03 Cobra

Hey Tim,

I may try to make it. I have to go to Fla. the weekend before but I may be able to swing it.

Dr. Jamie Meyer

Why would you lift?
Established Member
2003 Cobra Shootout Update:

SVT is well aware of this scheduled 2003 Cobra Shootout and excited to participate. I am hoping that the SVT truck and trailer will attend, however I am sure some SVT representatives will make the show.

I spoke with Jim D'Amore - his 11.77/123mph MG convertible (on stock F1s - awesome Jim!) will be there as well as several of his customers.

Paul Svinicki is specially preparing an 03 Cobra for this event. With several weeks to get ready, there is no telling how fast he can go.

Unlimited Performance will be testing their yellow hardtop this week in preparation for the event. Knowing Joe and Mark the way I do, they will probably be in the 10 second zone by Sept. 27!

I got to meet Jim Vacarro at Atco, NJ – nice guy, nice car! He is making an attempt to get to Bowling Green.

Francisco Reyes, the Sonic Blue coupe from the NMRA Modular class at Maple Grove and Atco will be in attendance. His car has already gone 12.20s/115 without a pulley change. The pulley, custom chip, and lots of testing will be on the car for the shootout.

**** For those of you not willing to race your `03 Cobra yet, perhaps you would like to enter your car in the NMRA car show. That way you might win a car show award while watching the shootout on the race track and meeting what will be the largest gathering of 03 Cobra owners yet. Just a thought.

Hammer - The trophies will go to the best runs in qualifying on Saturday. On Sunday, the 03 Cobras will be run in the Vortech Modular Muscle class, which is an open comp format. The only rules that apply would be NHRA safety rules. I would like the 03 Shootout to be an all-out event. With the cars being so new, it is unlikely that we will see aftermarket blowers, etc. It should make for a very nice comparison of aftermarket equipment and performance potential.

If you have any other questions or suggestions on how to make this the ultimate 2003 Cobra race, let me know. We still have some time to work on it.

Thank you,
Jamie

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Dr. Jamie Meyer
2003 Cobra Shootout Update:

SVT is well aware of this scheduled 2003 Cobra Shootout and excited to participate. I am hoping that the SVT truck and trailer will attend, however I am sure some SVT representatives will make the show.

I spoke with Jim D'Amore - his 11.77/123mph MG convertible (on stock F1s - awesome Jim!) will be there as well as several of his customers.

Paul Svinicki is specially preparing an 03 Cobra for this event. With several weeks to get ready, there is no telling how fast he can go.

Unlimited Performance will be testing their yellow hardtop this week in preparation for the event. Knowing Joe and Mark the way I do, they will probably be in the 10 second zone by Sept. 27!

I got to meet Jim Vacarro at Atco, NJ – nice guy, nice car! He is making an attempt to get to Bowling Green.

Francisco Reyes, the Sonic Blue coupe from the NMRA Modular class at Maple Grove and Atco will be in attendance. His car has already gone 12.20s/115 without a pulley change. The pulley, custom chip, and lots of testing will be on the car for the shootout.

**** For those of you not willing to race your `03 Cobra yet, perhaps you would like to enter your car in the NMRA car show. That way you might win a car show award while watching the shootout on the race track and meeting what will be the largest gathering of 03 Cobra owners yet. Just a thought.

Hammer - The trophies will go to the best runs in qualifying on Saturday. On Sunday, the 03 Cobras will be run in the Vortech Modular Muscle class, which is an open comp format. The only rules that apply would be NHRA safety rules. I would like the 03 Shootout to be an all-out event. With the cars being so new, it is unlikely that we will see aftermarket blowers, etc. It should make for a very nice comparison of aftermarket equipment and performance potential.

If you have any other questions or suggestions on how to make this the ultimate 2003 Cobra race, let me know. We still have some time to work on it.

Thank you,
Jamie

Jamie,

This is the MOST EXCITING news I have seen on this board. I think the NMRA is the best thing that has ever happened to Mustang junkies. The thought of fusing the 03's into a NMRA 'nitch' makes me want to celebrate with EXTREMELY LARGE QUANTITIES OF ALCOHOL....you know...rape, pillage and unleash all things unholy in the universe.

When I first read Tim's post, I got all hot in the face and started making phone calls and arrangements to expedite the finishing of my car so it woud at least 'hang' with the pack respectably. I then looked into arrangements to get out there.

But now I am painfully coming to grips with the fact that it may be too much of a stretch for me to get my act togather for that event.

My question is this: Will this be a one-time thing or is it something that you will look to incorporate into the schedule again in the future? I am sure that turn-out will play a major role in your decision...but I am also sure that you realize that 03's are still rather new and 'unhatched' and class support would only improve with time.

The reason I ask is because, if it is a one-time thing for sure, I will go to DEFCON 1 and DESTROY all opposition and obstacles in my path in order to get squared away for that race.

Thanks for the time and say a prayer for the emotionally unstable :dw:

Dr. Jamie Meyer

Why would you lift?
Established Member
Hammer - I've thought about your question (Will there be another 03 shootout?) for a couple of days. If the NMRA lands a year-long sponsor (like SVT) for an 03-specific class, then there may be more 03 Cobra events. Obviously, I can't promise that. What I can promise you is that on Sept 27-29 in Bowling Green KY at the NMRA World Finals, you have a chance to participate in the first ever 03 Cobra event. There is going to be HUGE magazine coverage for anyone competing in this deal. And, I know that not just the "fast" guys will get recognized. It would be nice to see someone show up with a stock car just to show the 15,000 fans what the thing will do right off the showroom floor. On the other hand, I am getting a surprising amount of email every day with guys telling me what they are building. It is pretty safe to say that the 10-second barrier will be blown away! What I hope happens is that the sharing of knowledge and ideas about this amazing car catapults it even further up the food chain, and we add one more chapter to its legacy. Hammer, my enthusiastic friend, I think you had better get yourself to Bowling Green. It may be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. At least, that is the way it's shaping up to be.

Jamie

nicetry

Established Member
Christy and I are planing on being at the NMRA finals also,
an 03 cobra shootout sounds great, hope to see you all there.
I can't wait to hear all your Bassani Venom systems roaring down the track.
Jr
ps it would be REAL great to see a few Full Throttle Performance stickers and license plate frames at the race;)

Hammer

Established Member
Hammer - I've thought about your question for a couple of days.

Thank you for taking the question seriously, Jamie. There's nothing I appreciate more than straight-forward people!

What I can promise you is that on Sept 27-29 in Bowling Green KY at the NMRA World Finals, you have a chance to participate in the first ever 03 Cobra event.

HUGE magazine coverage

Well, that did it! As if I wasn't obsessed enough already... Keep one thing in mind, Jamie: I'm coming to you for divorce lawyer help.

show the 15,000 fans what the thing will do

<...gulp!> OK, I get nervous racing in front of 15 people! I'll have to talk to the doc about upping the Prozac dosage. Just kidding! I don't take Prozac for nervousness...I take qualudes. I find them particularly effective just before a big race day.

I can hear it now...NMRA @ BG; Dr. Meyers in the tower announcing... "In the waterbox is Jimmy V. and Rich J. in two more beautiful new 03 Cobras....And there they go! Jimmy cuts a stout .518 light and Rich snoozes with a 2.06 reaction! Jimmy's got 10 car lengths now as Rich seems to have missed 3d. OK, he's got it back now and gaining momentum... Wait...he's losing control...OH NO!! Rich threw his beautiful new 03 into the wall! I think that's his wife coming over the rail to see if he's OK. Good, he's out of the car and it looks like...it looks like his wife is kicking him in the groin! Yes, Rich is on the ground now and I think I see him throwing up. And listen to that crowd go WILD!!! The MM&FF and 5.0 editors are rushing to the scene to record this memorable event..."

It may be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Yep, it's done. I'm there. Jimmy V: keep me in the loop on the travel plans. In the mean time, I'll be at Atco gettin' some seat time.

Dr. Jamie Meyer

Why would you lift?
Established Member
Official NMRA Press Release on 2003 Cobra Shootout

NMRA Ford Nationals Show Series Official Newsletter
http://www.nmraracing.com

For Immediate Release:

2003 SVT Cobra Shootout Scheduled for NMRA World Finals

With Ford Motor Company’s release of the 2003 SVT Cobra, there is a new era in Mustang history ushered
in by the breathtaking performance of this 390 horsepower supercar. And, the NMRA wants to provide
owners and fans of this newest Mustang with a chance to see them up close and in action. As such, we
have formed the first ever event specifically catered to this amazing performance car. On September
27-29, 2002 at our Bowling Green, KY NMRA World Finals, owners of the 2003 Cobra will be able to
compete in a special event – the first ever shootout for the 2003 SVT Cobra.

Trophies will be awarded to the four fastest stock-tired 2003 Cobras and the four fastest slick or drag
radial-equipped 03 Cobras during qualifying on Saturday. On Sunday, the 03 Cobras will be allowed to
run in the Vortech Modular Muscle class, an open comp format eliminator.

All 2003 Cobras competing in this inaugural NMRA 2003 SVT Cobra Shootout will be pitted together at
Beach Bend Raceway Park. We hope that this encourages camaraderie and interaction amongst owners,
fans, racers, and SVT representatives.

We have already received interest in this event from some of the top 2003 Cobra tuners and racers in
the country. Paul Svinicki, Dan Millen, Jim D’Amore, Jim Vaccaro, Mark and Joe Mainiero, Willie
Figueroa, Francisco Reyes, and many, many more will be in competition. This will give you a chance to
find out which parts work, and who can put up the numbers! Who will run in the 11s on stock tires?
Who will run the first 10-second elapsed time in 2003 Cobra history? Will an unknown racer beat the
big shops? Who will be crowned “King of the Cobra” for 2003? Find out at Bowling Green, KY!

As a special note, if you do not wish to race your new Cobra, but would still like to participate in
this event, please make plans to attend the NMRA World Finals, anyway. You can enter you 03 Cobra in
the car show, watch the racing action, and maybe win a trophy! See you in Kentucky!

2003 SVT Cobra Shootout
September 27-29, 2002
Beech Bend Raceway
Bowling Green, Kentucky

For more information, visit www.nmraracing.com

Users who are viewing this thread