2003 Cobra Fueling issues

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
What’s up guys, completely stumped here and at a loss on wtf is going on with my car.

Car had a 2.3 whipple with 80lb injectors and stock pumps on a BAP. As usual can’t leave good enough alone. It ran amazing.

I put a 3.0 whipple on it with a fore L2 fuel system and I’m having major issues now.

I have twin TI auto 285 pumps in the fore hat, feed line goes to the fore fuel filter, up to the driver side rail, crosses over to the passenger rail, which goes to the regulator (set at 40psi) and returns to the tank.

I have brand new id1300 injectors installed. For some reason the car is dumping MASSIVE amounts of fuel with the key in the on position when I’m not trying to start the car. It’s dumping so much fuel the motor is locking up when I try to crank the car.

I have the FC3 wired in using the green / yellow wire from the FPDM to trigger pump 1, pump 2 is on a Hobbs switch.

At this point the car has not started or ran and it is dumping so much fuel when I turn the key on it’s pouring out of the mid pipe.

I’m at a complete loss. There should be no fuel getting past the injectors when the key is in the on position not trying to crank the car.

I’m on a base tune for the current set up from Kevin Dunn.

Tonight I pulled the plugs, kept the fuel
Pump turned off and cranked the car over for 10 minutes basically before I stopped getting fuel blowing out of the cylinders. I let the car sit for a few minutes, turned the key on, turned the fuel pump on and in a matter of 1
Minute the motor was completely flooded with fuel again with out me even trying to crank the car. For some reason it’s dumping massive amounts of fuel with the key in the on position.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slow98cobra

Established Member
Man that’s scary. About to do a similar switch on mine. Is it all cylinders that are filling up or just a few?

MG0h3

Established Member
Well it’s not your fuel system down stream of the rails.

Maybe you blew the FRPS?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
The FRPS won't cause fuel dumping into the cylinders. First thing I'd check is the wiring. You might have a short causing the injectors to open as soon as there's power. Check the harness behind the blower.

If the wiring is good you'll have to check the injectors.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I second a wiring issue.

Hold the pedal to the floor before turning the key to run. This should shut the injectors off. Keep holding it and have someone check the system is pressurized without leaks.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
This was a catastrophic failure…

The injectors are out I have FIC 1200s coming.

I got 12 quarts out of the oil pan, 6 oil and 6 fuel.

The lower intake was full of fuel

The intake runners on the heads were full of fuel

The exhaust is leaking fuel from the midpipe still

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
I checked the harness with a noid light, the light only pulses when I crank the car to start. The injector harness is not pulsing with the key in the on position so that’s good.

Kevin Dunn wrote me a new tune for the FIC1200s

I’m replacing the FRPS, Plugs and new oil and filter and we will pray from there.

710cacc5cf9803a68d6df2f71d5b1a28.jpg

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
All this fuel came out of the lower intake manifold. Now I’m debating on pulling the blower off and cleaning the intercooler. Thoughts?

IMG_4433.jpg

slow98cobra

Established Member
Oh man, so sorry to hear that. I’m sure the gas was a strong solvent on anything on the intercooler. You are that far into it, I would clean the intercooler. Is there any lubricant you can put down into the cylinders to just relube them before you start the car? If it was me, I would put just a little fresh oil in them and crank the motor without plugs. May be able to lube it up just a little before the new oil makes it up there. I may be off base but I would want some oil on those cylinder walls.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh man, so sorry to hear that. I’m sure the gas was a strong solvent on anything on the intercooler. You are that far into it, I would clean the intercooler. Is there any lubricant you can put down into the cylinders to just relube them before you start the car? If it was me, I would put just a little fresh oil in them and crank the motor without plugs. May be able to lube it up just a little before the new oil makes it up there. I may be off base but I would want some oil on those cylinder walls.

That was my thinking too. I’m thinking maybe some WD40. I talked to Kevin earlier and he recommended that as well.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the FRPS isn't throwing a code and the diaphragm isn't busted then it doesn't need to be replaced. Though having a spare never hurts.

Last edited:

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m gonna keep it as a spare, just figured while it’s apart and I’m waiting for injector clips anyway I’ll install the new one.

Keep your fingers crossed it fires up with no issues on Saturday.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Car fired up and sounds good thank god.

Now to start data logging and working with Dunn to get it dialed in.

Issue was 3 stuck ID1300 injectors

3869068dc31f28a8535a48520d7c818d.jpg

That's great to hear. We're these new injectors, used? Seems odd you would have 3 stock open.

Users who are viewing this thread