2003 cobra camshaft

A's Cobra

Established Member
is there no information released on this till after bowling green, or has ford just not published it anywhere

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by fast-toys
I saw somewhere that they were the same as the 5.4L Navigator cams.

It is! I emailed Sean Hyland about a camshaft selection for our engines, and...well here's the reply:

[size=-1]Presently, we have no offerings for the '03 cobra. We will be taking
delivery of ours in the very near future. Once we can actually dyno test
the products, we will release them. We do not sell what we haven't proven.
Keep an eye on the website for updates. Should be 4-6 weeks for the goods
to start appearing, and once they do, they should really enhance an already
stout combination. The camshafts are 5.4L Navigator cams, but I do not have
the specs handy at this time. Thanks for the inquiry, and please, stay
tuned![/size]

And lookie here! http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/03Cobra.htm Then to a search for cam.

How hard could it be to change the cams in this? I'm thinkin' not THAT hard. Valve covers, cam caps? Am I missing something?

93cobra03

Established Member
It is about a two day job plus you must buy special tools (nothing you have in a tool box). It take roughy 8 hours to degree cams and that is if you know what you are doing! So yeah it is about the most expensive thing you can do for a very little gain the stock cams are pretty good . If you are going to do it you might as well go all out since you re already going to be at least 3,000 in the hole. Upgade springs, valves and keepers.

f4sfed

Established Member
Oh yea.....degreeing the cams. What ever happened to the good ole' days, when you just lined up the dots? ...aaaah, KEEP THE OLD' DAYS! I like THESE days just like they are! :lol:

Thanks for the reminder, however I have more tools than most people. I used to wrench in Michigan. :)

93cobra03

Established Member
That's what I thought too. Some of tools needed are Rotunda stuff only available from Ford. If you do not want to buy them I saw a Guy make them b/c of price ,but that took like two weeks trying to figure it all out! One piece keeps the cams from moving during install its like 200.00 and does only that, but it would have to be made since it is like a jig.:gt:

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by 93cobra03
That's what I thought too. Some of tools needed are Rotunda stuff only available from Ford. If you do not want to buy them I saw a Guy make them b/c of price ,but that took like two weeks trying to figure it all out! One piece keeps the cams from moving during install its like 200.00 and does only that, but it would have to be made since it is like a jig.:gt:

...or you could ask the one Penn & Teller guy that doesn't talk, to hold it [the cams I mean] for you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread