2002 VW Jetta

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Well...got the car today..shipped up from Florida. It's got the 2.0 motor with auto trans. It's blowing chunks out the A/C vents...I guess the cabin filter is dry rotted. Anybody know how difficult a job that is? Car runs great tho. Wish I could have bought it for myself. Stole it for 5K. Seen them on lots for 7 to 9K.

Oh, and yeah..it smells like crayons.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
If the cabin air filter is like the GTI, it's under the windshield cowl on the passenger side. Takes 5 minutes.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qllkp7nagcw"]‪DIY- Jetta Cabin Filter Replacement‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

The 2.0 is a much more reliable motor than the 1.8, and should be good to your daughter.

Edit: What kind of chunks is it blowing out? The cabin filter is paper, not foam.

Last edited:

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Sinc the motor only has 21K on it, looking at the oil...it needs a change. Thinking of switching it to synth...good idea or bad idea? Stick with the same viscosity?
Thanks all for your replies.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Electrical nightmares I had a 00 2.0, my sister in law had a 04 1.8t and her brother and her brother had a 02 1.8t. Everyone one of them had major issues happen after buying them. All of our cars had under 75k miles too. Mine was the gauge cluster took a crap just out of the blue. I started the car up after driving it to target, it looked like a Christmas light show. Every light in the dash came on. As far as running goes, mine ran very well.

spike_africa

Established Member
My gf's 06 TDi is a great little car. Slow as piss even with a tune that bumps up power 40hp its still very slow in every gear minus 1-2. Still it gets 50-51mpg and is very comfortable and nice. Hers is all leather and I keep it well maintained. Not problem yet with 53k miles on it.

Kiohtee

Established Member
My girlfriend has a 2.0 '02 GLS. Biggest piece of #### ever. Her sister's Passat runs nicely but has had a few electrical problems. My girlfriend's car just falls apart and breaks crap all the time. #### is expensive!

But they're nice cars past all that lol. Handle alright, slow as piss, decent mileage, and look nice if maintained.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
the 2.0 (n/a) is a horrible motor, ive heard nothing but bad stuff about them, from oil leaks to shitty compression results after a couple ten-thousand miles.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
thats up to you on synthetic. it wont hurt anything to change it but itll cost more each change. are you keeping the car a while? if so, spend the extra $ on the synthetic, IMO.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
thats up to you on synthetic. it wont hurt anything to change it but itll cost more each change. are you keeping the car a while? if so, spend the extra $ on the synthetic, IMO.

Yeah with the low mileage it has, I think we will be holding onto it for a while. I'm going to switch the oil to synth since I'll be changing it. Another $1400 on my insurance policy tho with another daughter getting her license in a month. GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
the 2.0 (n/a) is a horrible motor, ive heard nothing but bad stuff about them, from oil leaks to shitty compression results after a couple ten-thousand miles.

The 2 liter ABA motor is one of the most reliable motors ever - if maintained properly. They'll last forever and take a beating, all while constantly returning 30+ MPG. They started putting the same motor back in the base MK6 Jetta's, that should tell you something.

OBD1 ABA's easily hold 400+whp on the stock bottom end.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Not according to my two mechanic buddies. They both hate the na motors.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member

My friends Jetta is eating about 3 quarts of oil a week. And he's not hard on the damn thing.

Ripn03Cobra

Banned
My family has 4 mk4 jettas (99.5-05ish) currently. One is at ~180k, two are at 250k, and one is at 390k. All run strong on original engines, with little problems. Just saying.

BUT... they're all diesels

Users who are viewing this thread