2002 Saleen S281 Supercharged Red 18K miles - Value

res0n0xg

Established Member
Guys,

found the car locally, it's not posted for sale online at all yet. Immaculate, one owner, 18k miles. Red and hard top.

Rough value? Don't want to insult him but would like to get it for below market.

res0n0xg

Established Member
i've always been more of a cobra guy, is there anything about a saleen that stands out as more "rare" or sought after I should look for when checking it out?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
One thing I would consider, and maybe others can correct me if I'm wrong, is the book value. I know Roush owners (at least SN95) have often had issues with financing, resale, and insurance because their cars VIN classify them as Mustang GTs, even though the Stage 3s are wildly different cars than your standard GT Mustang.

I'm not sure if this issue exists in the Saleen vehicles, but its something I'd look into and prepare for if so. Keep in mind, we as Mustang enthusiasts understand the specialty of Roush or Saleen, but you might have leverage if you can somehow twist that to your advantage - but likely the owner is well aware of the specialness. If you can come in as a cash buyer and if he really needs to unload it, you'll have the upper hand.

There's not a lot of banks willing to lend on a 2002 vehicle, let alone for $18,000 Mustang and anyone who does would need phenomenal credit I'm guessing, so those are some big hurdles...especially for a car that's only being locally advertised! Your biggest competition is going to be cash buyers and again, how many of those will be available and looking to buy this car locally. Plus, winters coming, sport car prices are falling...just be patient and dangke a carrot in front of him. What is he asking?

Posted via Topify using Android

Last edited:

LEAVNYA

"TOXIC"
Established Member
If you do need to get a loan for the car, they will prob offer you a personal loan at the bank for the difference in what you can come up with in cash. That's what I had to do on the 97 Cobra.

res0n0xg

Established Member
I would be paying cash with the intention to maybe keep through winter and resell later on. Thanks for the advice, he's playing games now, not sure if he's serious, if it does somehow work out I'll post some pics. It's a well kept car.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
18k-ish seems right, but I'd rather get a cobra for that price.

2v < 4v

+1. Although, average people seem to get more excited about the Saleens at car shows. Don't get wrong, I love the Cobra look, but if want to be noticed you get a Saleen and if you want go fast you get a Cobra.

Posted via Topify using Android

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I really like the looks of new edge Saleens. I consider one before buying my 04 Cobra recently, but your paying a premium for a car that can't hang with even a stock Terminator. They're rated at I believe either 350 or 370hp, but from what I've read those are very optimistic numbers. I think 18 is high for a non-convertible if your hoping to flip it.

Users who are viewing this thread