2002 lightning fan

Dave.O

Established Member
The radiator fan I my 2002 is not coming on.
Stared over heating on traffic yesterday, pegged temp gauge and set off ses and oil temp light.
After several investigations, no overheating while no ring over 30 mph so the cooling system appears to work,
Temp increase only when not moving or low speed.
Turning on ac doesn't start fan, running ac raises temp faster (no shock there).
Even just letting it idle fan will not turn on.
Previous owner installed a hot switch to run the fan all the time, it also is not working.
Upper hose is hot so not a tstat issue.
I cannot find a fuse for the fan....
Is the only solution to replace the whole fan?
Any thing else to check 1st?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dusten

Established Member
if its electric, then we need more info, because its after market. I'd guess the fan controller died. its pretty common

Dave.O

Established Member
thanks for reply.
correct, its definitely aftermarket, after a lot of google picture searching I've traced it too a JDM model.
I have fixed the on/off issue through replacing a faulty toggle switch with a bad contact.
But now that its running it seems die or struggle in hot traffic with AC on full, I wonder if its too much for the alternator at idle...

Dusten

Established Member
thanks for reply.
correct, its definitely aftermarket, after a lot of google picture searching I've traced it too a JDM model.
I have fixed the on/off issue through replacing a faulty toggle switch with a bad contact.
But now that its running it seems die or struggle in hot traffic with AC on full, I wonder if its too much for the alternator at idle...
That's not uncommon for them to cause issues with voltage. Especially an older alternator. You can check idle voltage pretty easy

Dave.O

Established Member
thanks again for reply.
I actually checked idle voltage last night, with engine hot: 13.8 volts at idle AC off, 13.7 with AC on. there is an initial large dip in voltage when the fan first kicks on but then it evens out. the dip is quite large and it actually makes the motor stumble.
I let the motor idle for a while and the fan is not staying on constantly with AC on, it cycles on and off every 10 seconds, is that normal?
I wonder if the fan motor is dying out....
when I drive it for an extended period then sit in traffic or idle the ac will start to struggle to cool

Dusten

Established Member
The fan motor cycling on and off will cause a momentary large draw, and thats normal.

If the fan is struggling to cool the truck and voltage is good, i'd agree the fan motor is on its way out.

Dave.O

Established Member
Yeah, I think the fan motor is overheating and shutting off. Ran hot again today and had to shut it off after only 10 min of traffic.
Any one know what the part # is for the fan motor?
Advance auto and autozone gave me generic one size fits all replacements

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Dusten

Established Member
Yeah, I think the fan motor is overheating and shutting off. Ran hot again today and had to shut it off after only 10 min of traffic.
Any one know what the part # is for the fan motor?
Advance auto and autozone gave me generic one size fits all replacements

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
You'd have to ask jdm what fan they use.

Dave.O

Established Member
JDM was a great help.
fan part # is YR3Z8C607-AB appears to 97-98 SVT cobra part #

After talking to them, I will upgrade the harness to the newer 40 amp version (current has duel 30 am fuses).
I know ford no longer makes Mark Viii fans/motors, does any one the part # for the motor? if I'm replacing I might as well upgrade
(yes, I did search both on here and Google and could not find a #)
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread