2002 HD 1 peice driveshaft question

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I just bought an 02 HD. The midship bearing is blown out. I'm new to the truck scene although I had a 00 Lightning a few years back.

1) I have a one peice aluminum shaft from a 4x2 Supercrew. Can I use that if I change the front yoke? This trans is a 4R70W and obviously the Harley is a 4R100.

2) Does anyone make a new bearing for the original shaft? Or do I have to buy another good used or new front section?

Let me know the my options. I'd really like to do a 1-peice shaft like all the 05+ Mustang guys. If it works....are there any cons to this swap?

KTTrucks

Premium Member
Established Member
When I changed the engine/trans in my 2000 HD to an 02 Lightning, I had a custom shaft made. It's steel, so I picked up about 4 lbs total weight ( big whoop...) but got the shaft made to my specs. The guys would go anywhere near the stock aluminum one, simply because the liability of welding onto a stock aluminum shaft was not something they felt comfortable with.

I have no issues with almost 100K on the swap and shaft... I certainly didnt sacrifice peerformance either. :)

KT.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
When I changed the engine/trans in my 2000 HD to an 02 Lightning, I had a custom shaft made. It's steel, so I picked up about 4 lbs total weight ( big whoop...) but got the shaft made to my specs. The guys would go anywhere near the stock aluminum one, simply because the liability of welding onto a stock aluminum shaft was not something they felt comfortable with.

I have no issues with almost 100K on the swap and shaft... I certainly didnt sacrifice peerformance either. :)

KT.

Thanks. I actually found out for myself the day after I made this post. The one peice shaft was too long because the the 4R70W is shorter than the 4R100. I actually found a used HD shaft for $125 shipped, so I just ordered it. I figured there is a reason they used a two peice shaft on this truck, so I went that route.

I've had custom shafts made for my Mustangs and it worked great, but on this truck the shaft was so long I was iffy if it would cause a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread