2001 SVT Rear Calipers - Short Pistons

Mr.Michael

Established Member
I completed a full brake job several months ago. The issue I am having is that the e-brake is not holding, at all. I have tried adjusting the e-brake several times with the same result.

I had to get the air conditioning recharged, so I had the shop take a look at the brake issue. After $250 to rectify the problem, they informed me that I needed to replace the calibers (which were just replaced) as they are maxed out and one more click, and the brakes will drag.

Is it possible there are different lengths of pistons for the caliber as it sounds like they are too short.

Anyone else have thoughts on this oddity?

I usually do all my own work on the car unless it falls out of my scope of expertise. I want to replace the calibers but I'm not sure about how to correctly adjust the pistons.

Attachments

• 20210911_155145.jpg
    20210911_155145.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 54

fitforspeed

Established Member
You might check to make sure that you have the correct pads/rotors. Seems like I recall there being multiple options last time I bought/replaced pads/rotors. Most likely the pads.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Mr.Michael

Established Member
You might check to make sure that you have the correct pads/rotors. Seems like I recall there being multiple options last time I bought/replaced pads/rotors. Most likely the pads.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I got the pads and rotors from American Muscle for my specific application, but got the calipers from Rock Auto.

PowerStop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Rotor and Pad Kit; Front and Rear​

(94-04 Mustang Cobra, Bullitt, Mach 1)​

I didn't notice much, if any of a difference that stood out when I installed.

PowerStop is supposed to be sending me replacement calipers under warrantee.

My local speed shop was the ones that diagnosed the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that they may have used parts from another model when the calipers were rebuilt. When I bought them, Rock Auto was the only option. Everyone else was back ordered, and this was their last set.

Do you have any knowledge of how to adjust the pistons? They screw in and out and is there some king of gap that needs to be watched between the pads and rotors?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The issue is when people try to use GT pads with Cobra rotors. The GT pads are thicker because the GT rotors are thinner.

There's no adjustment for the e-brake as it self adjusts. Chances are your cables are stretched and need to be replaced. Old cars have old car problems.

Mr.Michael

Established Member
The issue is when people try to use GT pads with Cobra rotors. The GT pads are thicker because the GT rotors are thinner.

There's no adjustment for the e-brake as it self adjusts. Chances are your cables are stretched and need to be replaced. Old cars have old car problems.
This particular model has an issue with the automatic e-brake adjusters, and it requires manual adjustment and I have done that several times and then just gave up until taking it in for service as adjusting the e-brake did no good. I could get the brake handle to stop about 2/3rds the way through a full pull until I couldn't pull it anymore with the same result, car would roll.

Where the cables connect on the rotor that mechanism is on a spring that forces it back (e-brake off). Pulling the brake lever moves that mechanism all the way to the front of the car without moving the pistons to make the brakes hold. That seems to be what is happening, but I never took the rotors off to see how it works.

I'm guessing that the rotors were either wrong parts in box or they used the pistons that were designed for another model.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

that being the case, if he has cobra pads with GT thickness rotors, maybe thats the issue.

My ebrake doesnt hold for shit anymore either but Im too lazy to look into it... not like we have hills around here

Mr.Michael

Established Member
that being the case, if he has cobra pads with GT thickness rotors, maybe thats the issue.

My ebrake doesnt hold for shit anymore either but Im too lazy to look into it... not like we have hills around here
Mine doesn't hold at all :( We don't really have any hills, but my driveway does slope down, and it would be my luck that one day the car will end up in my neighbor's front yard :)

Hopefully the shop knows what they are doing and diagnosed the problem correctly.

I believe at one point in time there was a recall on the e-brake issue and not sure if this was taken in. I'll have to check with the dealer. It's a pain in the backside to manually adjust.

I'm still at a quandary if there is some sort of specific gap between the pads and rotors when they are replaced. I'm assuming that the auto adjust might be what sets the gap, but unsure.

I'll update once they put the new rotors on.

Mr.Michael

Established Member
Sorry for the delay. The issue was with the rebuilt Calipers. Whoever POWERSTOP had rebuild the Calipers, they were not rebuilt correct. It appears cable would pull the lever on the Caliper all the way back when the ebrake was fully pulled and never fully lock the rear brakes.

I was a point where I had adjusted the ebrake several times with no luck. It never even crossed my mind that the Calipers were incorrectly rebuilt. I ended up taking it to my local shop and they found the issue, $185 later. I contacted POWERSTOP and they did send me out a replacement set, and the shop installed them. The ebrake is now operating correctly, $285 later! I contacted POWERSTOP and they refused to give me any sort of adjustment of the $285 which was due to their faulty equipment! Maybe I'm way off base but they should have offered something back!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread