2001 lightning troubles

lightningkid831

Established Member
hey guys, i seem to be having a few problems and need some help. I've had my lightning for 2 years now(its an 01), and a year ago i blew the factory motor. we bought a motor out of another 2001 lighting with 10k miles on it. ever since the motor swap, it just doesnt seem to be running right. at WOT it sounds like tha SC'er is either losing air or choking cuz its not getting enough air. also, it tops out at 120mph some days and 140mph other days. the only mods i have are a 6# lower pulley and some tranny work. any suggestions guys?

Oh, and another thing. about a month ago it blew a sparkplug out and i had to get it helicoiled (or however you spell it).

Last edited:

Bird

Old and tired............
Established Member
Probably something not hooked back up properly during the motor swap - hard to tell without looking at it.

Where in Tx. are you located ?

Bird

01whiteL

Established Member
Is there a tune with the 6# lower?

+1....

Maybe somedays you have the o/d button on and sometimes you turn it off..... o/d off I believe if I remember correctly with my stock motor back in teh day hit 120 in 3rd and that was it unless you went into o/d. If you leave o/d on it will continue up to 140, but thats terrible for your truck.

If you are running that truck to 140mph on a stock motor you will be replacing another motor soon enough........ I would suggest not running it into o/d under WOT. 120mph(or the top of 3rd gear when you turn overdrive OFF) is about all you should do, unless your ready to build.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Are you tuned for the 6# ?
I hope your tuned for the 6# lower and have a MAF extender or you'll be putting in another motor soon.

lightningkid831

Established Member
Is there a tune with the 6# lower?

yes, i am. that was the problem with the first motor. bought it with the 6# on it and it supposedly had a tune for it, but really didnt. shoulda made sure, but hey, live and learn.

and no, i am 100% positive o/d was on each time, just when it tops at 120 itshifts into 4th and just stays at 120.

as far as the noise with the SC is concerned, could it be a gasket or something that wasnt propely seated and is letting some compressed air escape?

but anyways, as soon as everything is resolved, im trading up to an 03 cobra :rockon: found one here close with 44k miles and the only mods ever on it exhaust and lowering springs

lightningkid831

Established Member
y is a cobra considered trading up?:shrug:

i consider it "trading up" because the cobra has less miles, its newer and the fact that its faster.

as far as lightnings are concerned, i will always love them. the look on ss and gt drivers' faces after u destroy them is priceless, and then theres always tha question "whats that thing got in it? :??:"

Users who are viewing this thread